PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gray MVP Northwest Shootout

ZagNative
04-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Kitsap Sun (http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/sports/article/0,2403,BSUN_19109_5458712,00.html)

Gray MVP of the NW Shootout

PORTLAND, Ore.

Bainbridge guard Steven Gray picked up another award on Sunday night after scoring 20 points and leading Washington to a 96-82 win over Oregon in the 14th annual Les Schwab Northwest Shootout at Chiles Center on the University of Portland campus.

The 6-foot-4 Gray was disruptive on defense. He was just 4-for-15 from the foul line but made 11-of-14 free throws.

Gray, a member of the Kitsap Sunís Super Six, was the Associated Press State Player of the Year and Metro League Player of the Year after leading Bainbridge to second place at the Class 3A state tournament.

Teammate Coby Gibler scored six points for the state team last night.

(Oregon played without Kevin Love and Kyle Singler. They had already committed to the maximum two all-star games elsewhere.)

tyra
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
"He was just 4-for-15 from the foul line but made 11-of-14 free throws."

Has to mean 4 for 15 from the field.

BobZag
04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Kudos to Steven, good to hear about the D, let's get that FG % up a bit, though.

Who is Oregon's Mr. Basketball? Love? or Singler?

Could it be next year Brad Tinsley is MVP in this game, and GU-bound? :)

jake
04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Gray's form and shot looked pretty good, but he was just off. It's hard to judge a player from one game, but I'm assuming this was just an off shooting night for him. It wasn't like watching Morrison play in this game, where he was clearly the best player on the floor, but Gray was as good as anyone else out there. He showed Bouldin like strength on the drive and had a few good passes. Other than his shot, I'd say he was pretty impressive.

Bob, Love and Singler were co-players of the year by the Oregonian. Tinsley was one of two juniors on the first team. Right now I would guess it will come down to Tinsley or Harthun (2nd team this year) for player of the year next year.

Nevtelen
04-02-2007, 09:51 AM
His shot was really off in all the state tourney games I've seen and here as well... I hope he works on it in the off season. Glad his D was good, though.

wazZag
04-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Who is Oregon's Mr. Basketball? Love? or Singler?

Both, I think. I read an article about Love, where he was saying how ironic it was that he was winning alot of NPOY awards and splitting awards w/ Singler in his own state.

23dpg
04-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Love and Singler did share the POY award. For Love it was his third straight year. It will be fun to watch both next year.

BTW, Is this Micah's brother described in the Oregon-Washington game?

-- Jefferey Michael Downs cans the long three to put WA up by 2. Terrell Smith adds two more, and the Oregonians need a timeout. Washington 34, Oregon 30 with 3:28 to go in the half.

ZagNative
04-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Love and Singler did share the POY award. For Love it was his third straight year. It will be fun to watch both next year.

BTW, Is this Micah's brother described in the Oregon-Washington game?

-- Jefferey Michael Downs cans the long three to put WA up by 2. Terrell Smith adds two more, and the Oregonians need a timeout. Washington 34, Oregon 30 with 3:28 to go in the half.

I wondered the same thing about Jeffrey Micael Downs, since I knew Micah had a younger brother. However, they are no relation. Jeffrey's dad and coach at Bellevue Christian is named Mike Downs (http://www.tourneytown.com/hoops/2007/Class1A/030307Notes.shtml), while Micah's dad is named Steven.