PDA

View Full Version : Altman to Arkansas

omahazag
04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6635450 (Not sure if I got this linked up right, if not, sorry.)

Terrible news for Creighton Bluejay fans...You never really know what coaches are going to do i guess. According to one stories in the Omaha World-Herald, Altman gave a JC recruit his "word" that he would be back to coach; not happening.

Crieghton needs to find a replacement quickly. The heir apparent was one Altman's assitants, however, he took the Illinois State job last week. Not sure why he left for Illinois State unless he did not believe Altman was leaving; Creighton is a much more attractive job.

At least GU doesn't have this problem...yet.

omahazag
04-02-2007, 07:51 AM
I did not mean to put the smiley face on the post...i'm not happy about this.

LongIslandZagFan
04-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear that. Really thought they had turned the corner and were going to keep him for an extended period of time.

CDC84
04-02-2007, 07:57 AM
I have to be honest.....this move surprises me. Altman has already had his chance at bat in the BCS leagues, and he struck out. Granted, the Arkansas job has a lot more upside than Kansas State. But he really had things going nicely at Creighton....

omahazag
04-02-2007, 08:09 AM
CDC i'm not sure what u mean by Altman strking out with other BCS schools? I know that he could have been the Iowa coach prior to Alford being hired but he chose not to take it.....that's all i know of.

CDC84
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
What I am saying is that unlike a lot coaches in his position - a guy that coaches at a high level, non-BCS school - Altman has already served as a head coach at a BCS program, and it didn't turn out well. He was fired after 4 seasons at Kansas State. I felt that his experience might be the kind of thing that would deter him from taking on another BCS job.....unless a super elite program came knocking. He had a lifetime job at Creighton....as much job security as you could have. I thought that this would be more valuable to him given his past.

I'm just not sure if Arkansas is that super elite program right now....although it does have a higher ceiling than Kansas State will ever have. Also, there are some who feel that Arkansas didn't show enough patience with Heath...that they should have known that he would need more time to get the program moving given his limited head coaching experience. The Razorbacks have a ton of resources and nice arena (that's too large, BTW), but...I'm just not sure it's the right move for Dana.

omahazag
04-02-2007, 08:47 AM
I understand, and completely agree with, what you are saying CDC. I really thought Iowa had a better chance at pulling Dana away this time around. He had a nice gig here in omaha, one that i didn't think he would give up to coach Arkansas....he's got a whole new challenge ahead of him there... It will be interesting to see how things go.

MDABE80
04-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Dana didn't do well at K state but he was only in his early 30's and inexperienced. As for arenas.....Quest added more seats this past year and sold out every game with 17.5k fans for every game. CU was a very very good situation. Arkansas in a large SEC BCS school so that might have been a draw. Dana put in 13 seasons in Omaha.
I wonder if Dan Monson might be a good fit there??? Looks good to me. Abe

BobZag
04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Somewhere in the Silicon Valley is a sad man.

omahazag
04-02-2007, 09:02 AM
As if Altman going to Arkansas wasn't enough, word is that Creighton's AD is now the new AD at Arkansas as well...Maybe i will cancel my season tickets. Ouch.

CDC84
04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Dana didn't do well at K state but he was only in his early 30's and inexperienced. As for arenas.....Quest added more seats this past year and sold out every game with 17.5k fans for every game.

That's actually not true. The Blue Jays on average didn't sell out games at Qwest...before and after expansion.

2004/05 = 12,016 (seating capacity 15,500)
2005/06 = 11,208 (seating capacity 15,500)
2006/07 = 15,990 (seating capacity 17,560)

But yes....Altman built Creighton into a program that could put a lot of people in the seats.

The Bud Walton Arena at Fayetteville is one of the largest on campus facilities at the Division One level. It seats over 19 thousand, and it is completely sterile...even when they get a good amount of fans in there. The old Barnhill Arena was one of those most intimidating atmospheres in the history of the world. It only seated 10,000. The Razorbacks needed a new building for sure, but it was foolish on their part to build one that was nearly twice the size as the old one...which was a classic.

dawgman1999
04-02-2007, 12:28 PM
CDC, got a question for you:

When GU built the new Kennel in 2004, why they only built it to seat 6000? It's not like they can not sell out a 10000 arena. It's the only game in town in Spokane. I understand the old Kennel is an intimidating place for the opposing team, and you want to keep the same feel in the new building, but can't they build something intimdating that seat 10000 people? Cameron Indoor seats 9000+, and it's one of the most intimidating places to play in CBB. By 2004, GU basketball was already quite big over there, after 1 elite 8 run and 2 sweet 16 runa. I am not sure why the admin still cap it to 6000. An extra 4K fans going to every game will help to raise revenue for the athletic department big time and attract better recruits, while having more financial resources to pay the coach. It just doesn't make sense to me that the seating capacity was capped at 6K. Any reasons?

Argentum
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I think the short answer is that all the studies leading up to construction showed a significant multi million dollar jump in overall arena price to add additional "cheap seats" that wouldn't generate enough return on the investment.

CDC84
04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
That's a good question dawgman1999, and one that the engineers on this board would do a better job of answering than me.

It had to do with building cost. You wouldn't think this would be the case, but from an enginering perspective, there is apparently a monumental price difference between building a 6000 seater and even a 8000 seater. We're talking huge...almost double the price or something. Again, the engineers would provide better details.

That was what it came down to. Gonzaga could only afford so much. I think there was also a commitment to make sure the team facilities (locker rooms, video rooms, training rooms, etc.) were state of the art. These things are not just about the fans, but also the players....great facilities do matter to recruits.

You could also argue that it's best to have a full restaurant with a waiting list than the other way around.

But yes...it's a pain. There is an awful lot of people right now that would like to see games that can't. And as you might imagine, it's only going to get worse now that we are entering back into a phase where Gonzaga is going to be highly ranked and such.

Birddog
04-02-2007, 02:24 PM
I think Creighton takes a hard look at some old family, Scott Sutton to be exact. He would be a great fit. Altman didn't do that bad at K St as I remember, just not good enough.

Birddog

MDABE80
04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh ..they ONLY sold 16K seats. The guys at Creighton said they sold every ticket. picky picky....nonetheless....that's HUGE!!!

Birddog
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
The guys at Creighton said they sold every ticket. picky picky.

It's quite possible that they did sell them all, but they only filled the seats listed. It happens all the time at OU, they are officially sold out and many times only 2/3 full.

Birddog

MDABE80
04-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I just checked Birdmeister. That's exactly what happened. Tickets actually sold versus attendance is often hard to square up.
I still wonder if Monson wouldn't be a good fit there. Abe

sittingon50
04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
He might get a look. Mid-major experience, midwest recruiting ties. Wonder if that locale/challenge would excite him more than LB State?

siliconzag
04-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Somewhere in the Silicon Valley is a sad man.

This year, as I have hinted, I was way more excited about the Jays than the Zags. And neither did very well, although at least the Jays gave Nevada a good tussle.

Dana is the greates teacher of all the coaches I've ever watched. His player development abilities are peerless. I don't know what it is about Arkansas other than $$$$ that attracted him. Obviously this conference is going to present some opportunities for some big time games.

Creighton will be fine down the road. The next coach will probably be another one of those sons of Sutton (Oral Roberts coach). Creighton is a blue ribbon program, and will remain so. And I think Mr. Altman made a booboo by leaving. I wish him well, and hope that Creighton plays Arkansas yearly and wins every time they play them.

Sili

sdzag
04-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Looks like Altman may get Trent. Good commit if he gets him. Recruiting will be a key in the SEC. Scout.com has an article.

omahazag
04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Can someone please tell me how it is that players who have signed a letter of intent can back out after a coach leaves to another school without losing a year or having to be released by the school? Is there some exception or time period which allows this? I ask because b/c Jays fans (including myself) are worried that the 3 incoming freshmen and 2 JC kids may decommit from Creighton and go elsewhere now that Altman is gone.

lothar98zag
04-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Can someone please tell me how it is that players who have signed a letter of intent can back out after a coach leaves to another school without losing a year or having to be released by the school? Is there some exception or time period which allows this? I ask because b/c Jays fans (including myself) are worried that the 3 incoming freshmen and 2 JC kids may decommit from Creighton and go elsewhere now that Altman is gone.
The school needs to release them or else they have to sit a year.

Birddog
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Can someone please tell me how it is that players who have signed a letter of intent can back out after a coach leaves to another school without losing a year or having to be released by the school?

The school DOES have to release them for them to NOT lose a year. It's a contract they sign. The school usually does release them in these cases. Why make a kid come that doesn't want to be there. It's bad PR. Hell it's just bad all around. Last year when the Kelvinator left OU, they released Scotty Reynolds who went on to a great freshman year at Villanova, and Damian James who went to Texas and started. There was another one too I think, but I can't recall his name. Poor ol Jeff Capel had to scramble to get the crumbs that were left. His cupboard was bare. It can be a real bad situation for the incoming coach. OTOH, sometimes the kids like the new guy and stay committed. You just never know. One thing for sure, any new coach has to re-recruit the incoming players recruited by the previous coach. It also depends a lot on how much of the previous staff stays.

Birddog

siliconzag
04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I am e mailing Father Schlegel. I think he would be an ideal fit. The problem with the Suttons is that they leave when the first glamour job comes along. Creighton has suffered from this Sutton syndrome before. I was there when the old man split. Of course, it heralded in another era, called the Apke era, which was also good. But not at the level Eddie Sutton was able to achieve.

Dick Davey is experienced, tough, ethical, and Catholic. What else could a Jesuit school ask for. And he said he isn't ready to hang em up yet. I just don't know if he would be willing to live in Omaha, that far away from Samantha and Rachel, and Mike.

I bet that the 3 C's mean something at Creighton. Hell, their name even starts with a C.

Sili

omahazag
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
According to some friends (take it for what its worth, if anything), there is to be a "blockbuster" announcement tomorrow and its none of the names people are throwing out there to replace Altman ...again, may just be rumors...i'll keep you posted, if you're interested.

GonzagaLove
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
OZag,

Tom Osborne?

NorthoftheBorder
04-03-2007, 09:17 PM
It looks like Creighton has found its coach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/04/03/altman.arkansas.ap/index.html