PDA

View Full Version : Rose City Showcase

75Zag
06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
As they say, I have no connection to the promoters of the event, but for those who are in Portland Metro or who can travel here in a reasonable amount of time, please don't forget the Rose City Showcase this weekend. Here is the blurb from their web site>

Friday Nights OPENING NIGHT games will be a SOLD OUT affair as we anticipate 2,500-3,000 fans in attendance, topping last years record crowd of 2,100 . WITNESS! 20 of the top 50 players in America, first hand at Lewis & Clark College. CBS, ESPN, ESPNU, FOX Sports and a dozen of other national and local media outlets will be on hand to cover the entire event, including ALL age division17U- 9U. Friday nights game will play as follows;

5:00PM #1 DERRICK ROSE ALL-STARS (IL.) VS. #8 TEAM OREGON SELECT (OR.)

6:15PM #4 EMERALD CITY PIONEERS (WA.) VS. #5 FRIENDS OF HOOP SEATTLE (WA.)

7:30PM #3 SEATTLE ROTARY SELECT (WA.) VS. #6 MISSISSIPPI BASKETBALL ACADEMY (MS.)

8:45PM #2 I-5 ELITE BLACK (OR.) VS. #7 TEAM A.C.C.E.S.S. BLACK (WA.)

Some hot kids - unfortunately most of them probably too hot for GU - but still a lot of fun to go and watch. Keeping my fingers crossed that a few of them end up on Boone Avenue for at least a year or two on their way to the NBA.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Joe Harris
Kyle Wiltjer
Brett Kingma
Gary Bell, Jr.

That's a few Zag recruits who'll be there.

eastsideballer
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I will be there and will be happy to drop a note or two from the road. The tournament is not nearly as loaded as it has been in the past years. I remember watching Love, OJ Mayo, Walker, Sydney, etc play several years ago and in the past the organizers have done a great job bringing in the top 20 or so players from around the country. As you can see from the lineup there is a ton of regional teams that have played each other more than once.

However it will be a great opportunity to watch some good games and yes some GU recruits.

GO FOH!

ZagNative
06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Looking more at the site, I've picked out these Zag prospects' games so far:

Super 17s Elite Divisional Bracket, Fri. June 12

Brett Kingma Emerald City Pioneers (4) 6:15 PM Friends of Hoop (5)
Jordan Railey I-5 Elite Black (2) 8:45 PM Team A.C.C.E.S.S. Black (7)
Aaron Bright, Joe Harris (?) Friends of Hoop (5) 6:15 PM Emerald City Pioneers (4)
Josh Smith, Gary Bell Seattle Rotary Select (3) 7:30 PM Miss. Basketball Acad. (6)
I can't find Kyle Wiltjer but maybe didn't look far enough.

Friends of Hoop didn't have a complete roster up, but I assume Joe Harris is on it.

75Zag
06-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Will be there with my iPhone and will try to take my usual low quality pictures of any interesting GU prospects.

In light of all the other fraud going on during AAU events, perhaps I will fold a couple of crisp $100 bills into one of those "waived fee" GU admission applications that the alumni folks send me every year and drop it into Josh Smith's gym bag.

Just kidding - no NCAA violation intended or expected!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! Don't Cheat!

eastsideballer
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Zag, the website is wacky but there is a full roster on there. The starters for FOH are as follows

PG Aaron Bright- Bellevue
SG- Joe Harris- Chelan
SF- Tanner Riley- Mt Si
PF- Ryan Nicholas- Gonzaga Prep
C- John Gage- Vashon

ZagNative
06-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Zag, the website is wacky but there is a full roster on there. The starters for FOH are as follows

PG Aaron Bright- Bellevue
SG- Joe Harris- Chelan
SF- Tanner Riley- Mt Si
PF- Ryan Nicholas- Gonzaga Prep
C- John Gage- VashonYou're not kidding it's wacky, because I still can't find it there. http://rosecityshowcase.net/index.cfm?fa=rcs.team&teamID=5005

That's a fun-looking roster you've listed, though. Go Joe and Aaron!

ZagNative
06-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Looking for 75Zag's cheesy iphone photos and glowing reports of Zags prospects as soon as he sprints home after the game(s) Looks like the FOH and Emerald City game might still be in progress.

BobZag
06-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Just two--

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/872016.html

Joe Harris, 6-4 SG Chelan (Wash.) High. Harris is another kid that I hadnít seen prior to this event. Very good frame, with long arms and he can shoot it. Doesnít appear to be a high level athlete, but with his size and stroke he figures to draw plenty of interest at the mid to high major level.

Gary Bell, 6-1 SG Kent (Wash.) Kentridge. Good-looking kid with a strong body and an excellent stroke with three-point range. Handle looked pretty good. Itíll be interesting to see if he has any chance to play the one in the next couple years.

75Zag
06-13-2009, 09:27 AM
No pictures yet Ė operator error. Apologies that my observations are a bit jumbled due to the accidental over consumption of single malt following the event (and of course I did not actually write anything down).

Oregon v Derrick Rose (Chicago) - McCaffrey for Oregon is a hot shooter but the Derrick Rose team pretty much slaughtered the Oregon kids. Ryan Boatright the best player in this game and a fine looking point guard although he looks a bit small for most D1 programs. If Pargo knows Boatright through the Chicago connection it would be nice if he could talk up GU, although I think Boatright may have committed to USC?

Emerald City v Friends of Hoop -Aaron Bright is a class act and skilled player with good passing and ball control. I donít know anything about the Stackhouse kid playing for Emerald City, but in this game at least he is outplaying his opponent man-to-man. FOH is looking pretty organized for an AAU team and I think they may actually be running plays! I am not sure what I think about Harris from Chelan. I think a summer of playing against high level AAU kids will help toughen him up a bit and perhaps increase his skill level.

MBA Elite v Rotary Select - Josh Smith is too good for this competition and Tony Wroten was hitting from outside and feeding Smith under the basket quite a few times. They reminded me of Stockton and Malone a little bit. Wroten was showboating a bit after the halftime break, but still beating the competition. Donít know where Wroten is headed, but I hope Boone Avenue. Quinton Ross for the Mississippi team looked pretty good. Is he a high major prospect?

I-5 (Oregon) v. Access (?) - Jones for the Oregon team looks like a very nice prospect. Silky moves - maybe a smaller version of Daye with further growth potential. Steve Holt (high major prospect I imagine) and Jones are the class talent on the Oregon team which blew out the Access team. Access looked pretty crummy but maybe just having an off night or perhaps missing some of their studs.

Couple people sitting around me said that some of the elite kids are not here as advertised. Not sure exactly who did not make it.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
06-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Was/Is Brett Kingma there?

MDABE80
06-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Something tells me thst Wroten.....for all his skills.......might not do so well for that Boone Ave school. I'm very interested in Ryan Nicholas ie. if he's growing in height and handles. Bell and Wright...? Said to be going high but to other schools? Harris and Kingma....love to see both in GU uniforms.

75Zag
06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Kigma is here. Number 5 for Emerald City. Playing Oregon ... and down 10 at half.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM
How's he looking?

75Zag
06-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Just fouled out I think. Good 3 point shooting. Made two excellent entry passes. A bit eager to shoot but what AAU kid isn't? Would like a bit more growth but I would rate him fairly high.

Go Bulldogs. Get. Bigger

N texas 509er
06-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Sets up championship game tomorrow morning (8am) with FOH and either I-5 Elite or Seattle Rotary Select ----maybe a show down for best in NW

ZagNative
06-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Sure enough! Cograts to Aaron and Joe's FOH Team! Rotary just took the win from I-t elite.

75Zag
06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I bailed early from the final game. Not sure who will win or what happens tomorrow. This is my final report for this yearís Rose City Classic, as I am not 100% certain I will go tomorrow and in any event I have some work stuff that will take me away for a while.

Joe Harris was better tonight than last night. He played an intelligent game tonight. He hit some exciting 3s. He contested for every rebound. He made some smart passes. That being said, he appears to be a very slender fellow compared to others playing against him tonight and his vertical leap looked suspect to me. He made some key plays and shots when nobody was putting a body on him, but when he had to go body to body with a muscular opponent, I thought he was pushed around more than he should have been. Iím not sure how a Chelan high school kid learns to play street ball against elite kids from Chicago or Mississippi or whatever, but I hope Joe can figure that out in the next few months as it will help him in D1 basketball.

I thought Brett Kingma also played fairly well tonight. I posted about him from the venue and I wonít repeat myself, but his passing was pretty good.

In the final game, Josh Smith appears to be taking the night off. Hope he is not hurting, but he was dogging it when I left.

Good Night.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MDABE80
06-13-2009, 09:03 PM
great to have 75 there and reporting,. Well done 75! Above and beyond the call of duty..for sure.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Sets up championship game tomorrow morning (8am) with FOH and either I-5 Elite or Seattle Rotary Select ----maybe a show down for best in NW

Gosh, I wish I could be there to see that game!!!

Good luck, guys!

MississppiZag
06-14-2009, 07:42 AM
75Zag....LaQuinton Ross is the #1 player in the 2011 class. I have had the pleasure of seeing him play a couple of years. Duke, UNC, UK, etc will be all over him, if not already.

Thanks for the reports.

BobZag
06-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Hicks--

Joe Harris, 6-4 SG Chelan (Wash.) High. Can really shoot it to the stripe and played with toughness in a semifinal win on Saturday.

N texas 509er
06-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Harris tweaked his back before the tournament, so his performance was gutsy fighting through the stiffnessÖ. Iím sure the first thing heíll see at the UVA elite camp this week will be a training room! FOH/Rotary at 8 tonight

bballbeachbum
06-14-2009, 12:58 PM
much appreciated reports. Thank you 75Zag!

TEAM ZAGS!!!

N texas 509er
06-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Rotary saying the game was to late and folks needed to get back to Seattle. Guess it will be rescheduled... hope it wasn't because Tony Wroten had hurt his angle last night, but no one found out until 2 hours before tip off

75Zag... good thing you didn't hang around! (buy a lottery ticket tonight) - thanks for your reports

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
No championship game??? WOW. That's terrible.

ZagNative
06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Joel Francisco's take (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4263312) on some Zag prospects at the Rose City Showcase on ESPN:

Way to go, Joe! Among Francisco's "Surprise Players"
Joe Harris (6-4, 180, 2-guard)
Friends of Hoop, 2010, Chelan, Wash.

Harris was definitely a pleasant surprise at the Rose City Showcase. He has a terrific frame with long arms and it should fill out well in the coming years. He is a deceptive athlete with solid quickness and lift, but he's far from a high-flyer. He excels both in transition as well as in the half court set. He is a prolific jump shooter out to the stripe and his mechanics are flawless. In addition, he can hit the mid-range pull-up as well. However, he is much more effective in a catch and shoot situation and/or in transition. If he has to create his own shot he has a tendency to drift on his release. Harris has a high basketball IQ and should be a high-major recruit because of his shooting prowess and promising frame.And among players of note ...

Gary Bell (6-1, 175)
Seattle Rotary Select, 2011, Kent, Wash./ Kentridge

Bell is an undersized 2-guard, but he can really fill it up from the perimeter. He has a chiseled physique with long arms and he's a solid athlete. He is potent in a catch and shoot situation where he can rise and nail the shot in transition. He gets great lift on his shot and his rotation is smooth. In addition, he displayed some burst off the dribble (slick crossover) while maneuvering his way to the baskethe uses his strong upper body and bounce to finish in the paint area consistently. While he appears to be strictly a scorer at this stage, it was nice to see him not force the issue. He was far from a volume shooter as he allowed the game come to him. If he can develop his passing skills off the bounce that will certainly help his value with coaches in the coming seasons. Mentioned:
ē Aaron Bright, a 5-9 point guard out of Bellevue, Wash, has a terrific handle and he changes speeds very well. He can knock down the 3-point shot with regularity as well. However, despite being a true point guard, his lack of size and burst will probably make him a mid-major prospect.
ē He is probably going to need a redshirt to bulk up, but 6-9 Jordan Railey (Beaverton, Ore.) has that ideal length that college coaches desire. He has become much more physical since the regular season and looks to be projected to the mid-major level.

Of course, Josh Smith also gets a mention as well.

75Zag
06-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks ZN

The description of Harris matches my own observations. Harris competed for every rebound. The problem from my perspective was that I don't think he got a single one, which might explain the "he's far from a high flyer" comment in the report you posted.

An eager kid, HUGE work ethic. It will come down to a choice between who is available to GU for the scholarships. If there is a blue chip kid from Philly available and willing to come to GU, my vote on Harris would probably be "no", but based upon what has happened lately that seems unlikely and therefore Harris seems like a good option. Plus he is from North Central Washington, where all good people come from.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
06-16-2009, 04:58 PM
That scholie "could" down to Joe Harris and Chanse Creekmur. imo.

N texas 509er
06-16-2009, 05:13 PM
We've seen Scout and ESPN with similar assessments of Joe - think they see the upside this kid has. Recruiting is about momentum and upside and Joe has that right now and is climbing. He's made tremendous strides in the past 6 months and that is what is turning heads (what/where will he be in two years). Also a good pick up because he can play 2,3 and even the 1 (plays point in HS), with great presense and a feel for the game.

Hope he has a great camp with the Zags coming up.... concerned if he has a strong tournment in Vegas like he did in Atlanta (with all major programs there) the flood gates will open and the NW boy will be tempted to leave the area.

Understand that he left the Portland tournment straight to UVA - hopefully jet lag will hinder his workouts and Bennett won't see the things that he recruited him for at WSU

Come on Joe - - - GU is your place and close to home making it easy for family and friends to watch your college career