PDA

View Full Version : Austins Projection in ESPN Mock Draft

Mr Vulture
06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Chad Ford of ESPN put out his update Mock Draft as of today...this was based on the combine results and workouts along with his discussions while there...although it is hard to take anything the GM's say with any validity....

He has Austin going at #13 to the Indiana Pacers...this is what he says:

Analysis: The Pacers' biggest need is an athletic big man who can score and block shots. Unfortunately, there aren't any of those guys in the draft this year. They are also looking for a starting point guard. But if the draft plays out like this, the Pacers would have to reach.

The good news is that Daye could be a great fit, especially if they start playing Danny Granger more at the 4. Daye's shooting ability and upside remind some of, dare we say, Jonathan Bender.

Looks like Austin is gone and I wish him the best...I think he will be a solid pro at the least. It also sounds like Josh is early second round and that Downs has likely played his way into the second round of the draft. Pargo looks to be a freeagent but it only takes one team to like him to make the second round...

75Zag
06-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the post. I am not currently an INsider so I could not read the entire Chad Ford mock draft but it is fun to see A.D. climb the mock draft ladder. If he is at 13 now, you wonder whether he could eek his way up two or three more spots by draft day. Unlikely, but who knows what could happen.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

CDC84
06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I think Jrue Holiday is more likely to stay in this draft than Daye is. His stock is rising like a lightning bolt. If that happens, and Daye elects to come back to school, he will likely be the most well thought of NBA prospect returning to college basketball who seriously flirted with the draft. There are a few guys returning to college ball like Willie Warren and Ed Davis who have serious talent, but they didn't seriously flirt with the draft.

dim4sum
06-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I can see him going to Indy where he could attain iconic status like another Southern Californian, Reggie Miller. I think there's even a slight physical resemblance, if Austin stays lean. He might be called on to pop more from the outside which would enhance his Miller-like icon status.

LAZAGFAN11
06-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Rather than make a new thread, I decided to post this here from Andy Katz. It's from his blog today regarding Austin's workout in the bay area:

"The reviews for Gonzaga sophomore forward Austin Daye weren't positive, either.

Daye's skill set has always been his hook to be a first-round pick, and it still may get him guaranteed money if he stays in the draft.

However, multiple personnel people said Daye got pushed around by Georgia Tech's Gani Lawal and Louisville senior Terrence Williams. "He looked soft and played like a prima donna,'' said one assistant GM. "He's not ready to play in the NBA. He could be in the D-League next season."

Yet, at least one team said Daye told them in an interview in Chicago during the NBA draft combine that he was going to stay in the draft. The consensus on Daye is he needs to build his core strength. He's not going to put on 20 pounds of muscle, but he needs to be stronger."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4227325&name=katz_andy

Just A Zag
06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
However, multiple personnel people said Daye got pushed around by Georgia Tech's Gani Lawal and Louisville senior Terrence Williams. "He looked soft and played like a prima donna,'' said one assistant GM. "He's not ready to play in the NBA. He could be in the D-League next season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4227325&name=katz_andy

wow. the part about him being a prima donna is dead on imo. I think that's why we always saw him arguing and b*tching whenever things didnt go his way last year.

FuManShoes
06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/191508-knicks-should-look-at-daye