PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spokesman Review New Format

hoopster777
06-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Don't know if I'm allowed to comment on the Spokesman Review on their website, but anyone seen the new format? Absolutely terrible, this paper is really struggling. Its half the size, almost nothing worthwhile to read. The Inlander is almost better and that paper is free...

Zag 77
06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Monday's paper, apart from the Sports section seemed to all be canned stuff they got from their syndicators last Friday. There has been some discussion about dropping the Monday paper altogether. Bigger fonts, narrower pages. That looks like an old trick we used in high school to fill up an essay page.

tyra
06-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Step back everyone. This is just another example of a stop gap measure of an entire industry caught in a death spiral. It's hard to fathom -- the institution (newspapers in general) we have known all our lives is largely going away. What will emerge remains to be seen but it won't be what we have known forever. And as to the S-R's new format, look for more of that kind of thing to happen here and everywhere for some time. Inevitable at this point? Yes. Still, I think it's a shame.

75Zag
06-02-2009, 08:15 AM
The Spokesman provides the bandwidth for this forum and at some level bandwitdth = money. So I say thank you Spokesman Review.

This is just an observation, but if I invite you to my house for a free dinner and you sit down at my table and begin to criticize me and my house and my cooking, I would most likely to tell to go pluck yourself and never darken my doorstep again. You are in the Spokesman's house here, and I suggest you find another forum to whine about the newspaper.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

hoopster777
06-02-2009, 10:17 AM
The Spokesman provides the bandwidth for this forum and at some level bandwitdth = money. So I say thank you Spokesman Review.

This is just an observation, but if I invite you to my house for a free dinner and you sit down at my table and begin to criticize me and my house and my cooking, I would most likely to tell to go pluck yourself and never darken my doorstep again. You are in the Spokesman's house here, and I suggest you find another forum to whine about the newspaper.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

The Spokesman Review is a business. If they are so close minded that they can not take criticism from their customers to try and improve on their product, then they will fail as a newspaper.

Ezag
06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Spokesman has sucked for years and this year is not different. I catch it at work during lunch sometimes because it is there and free. I thank them for the bandwidth for this forum but they know the writing is on the wall.

tyra
06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
My comments were intended as observation about the newspaper publishing sector of the economy in general and not intended as criticism of the S-R whatsoever. Just adding my analysis of the need to change the business model in order to survive and thrive is all; nothing more.

Mr Vulture
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Be careful...if you don't toe the line you will be chastised on this site...trust me, I have felt the power...ha ha. I don't particularly like the new format, mostly because it is awkward to read...I still like the paper and have my subscription....just wish they would quit saying it was for our benefit...we know it was to save money. Bottom line is how could you blame them...they are a for profit company..they have to make money and they do give us this forum to work on.