PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills: Gone

Angelo Roncalli
06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Mills will stay in the NBA draft.

RenoZag
06-01-2009, 06:44 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Patty Mills is prepared to test his talent in the NBA.

The Australian Olympic star and point guard from Saint Mary's College says he will forgo his final two years of college eligibility and keep his name in the NBA draft. Next up will be hiring an agent.

Mills was among 12 players to work out in two separate sessions Monday for 21 NBA teams at the Golden State Warriors' practice facility. He even campaigned for the Warriors to select him on draft day June 25 so he can stay in the Bay Area.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4223003)

Good rid. . .I mean, good luck ! ;)

hoopster777
06-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Well if Austin stays in the draft this is definitely good for Gonzaga...WCC won't be nearly as competitive next year as it was this year.

Coug Tracks
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Well if Austin stays in the draft this is definitely good for Gonzaga...WCC won't be nearly as competitive next year as it was this year.

Does that outcome really help GU?

zagking
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
hope that wrist isn't slowing him down anymore. Patty should be special in the NBA

hoopster777
06-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Does that outcome really help GU?

Well I enjoy Gonzaga winning.....with a pretty young roster, nothing is guaranteed and nobody knows what the learning curve will be for the freshman players. They are talented, but talent has to translate to on court experience first in order to determine how well next years team will be. Theres a lot of uncertainties and I'd prefer Gonzaga with a young squad to play more of a cushion schedule next season.

Kiddwell
06-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Kiddwell is supremely disappointed. Patty Mills was one of the few non-GU stars in the WCC. Not good for the conference. Really gonna miss seeing him put the hammer down versus GU. Such heart, such intensity, such skill.

On the other hand, since he's made the decision (and he seems like such a great young man), Kiddwell wishes Patty a first round selection, health, success, and a long career. Who knows? Maybe Portland will pick him. (I don't know Portland's status with guards, but having him on the sole remaining Northwest NBA team would be pleasing.)

:]

hondo
06-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Hate to see him go but then I'd hate to have to play him again so I'll just wish Patty the best and hope we can watch him for many years in the NBA.

hoopster777
06-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Kiddwell is supremely disappointed. Patty Mills was one of the few non-GU stars in the WCC. Not good for the conference. Really gonna miss seeing him put the hammer down versus GU. Such heart, such intensity, such skill.

On the other hand, since he's made the decision (and he seems like such a great young man), Kiddwell wishes Patty a first round selection, health, success, and a long career. Who knows? Maybe Portland will pick him. (I don't know Portland's status with guards, but having him on the sole remaining Northwest NBA team would be pleasing.)

Unlikely Portland would select him even if he fell that far...thats probably the one position they don't need any more players. Bayless is the point guard for the future while Blake services the role now and Sergio Rodriguez comes off the bench.

Zag79
06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
interesting. i wonder if SMC fans are as spiteful of mills as some posters are of daye. both guys are just trying to set themselves up financially playing the game they love. daye has a much better nba build, and his potential is uncapped. if he played for SMC ala mills, he would have easily put up numbers equal to if not better than mills. i know they play different positions, but my point is that if mills can go without backlash so can austin. give it a rest no matter ADs decision! good luck mills!

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Well said, Kiddwell. And I'd love to see him end up with my Sac Kings!!

Das Zagger
06-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Somewhat surprised about this. From what I heard on Saturday, it was still very much up in the air, his workout at GS must have gone well today.

Best of luck to him, he is a dynamic player.

TheZagPhish
06-01-2009, 09:49 PM
He was incredibly classy for being such a deadly menace.

Best to Patty!

AzZag
06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I, for one, am not crushed to see him leave. He is awesome, and I truly think he would have gone higher in this year's draft if not for the injury.
Next year would have been miserable trying to stop him.

So, with that, who does SMC have coming back?

Sam-burger
Ben Allen
Waye Hunter

that's about it right? Of those three, only Omar has true talent.

I think Portland and the Zags will be vying for the crown..
maybe USD if Brandon Johnson comes back strong.

MDABE80
06-01-2009, 11:53 PM
He's ranked as a late first rounder/early second rounder. Talented kid......small but speedy. He must have gotten a green light from a GM/Scout or something drastically has changed at SMC. Shoots a lot but not very accurate....Doesn't strike me as a 1st rounder...IMO needs another year.

kitzbuel
06-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Just great. This means our whole next season is gonna be tainted.

LongIslandZagFan
06-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Happy for him... Other than Omar Fatman I have a tremendous amount of respect for SMC and Patty. I think Randy runs a great program down there. But for those that think they are going to be a cakewalk this year, I'd remind you that they pushed us to the end without Mills. Plus I suspect that Hunter is going to explode this year. If he does then its the same story, different cast for both GU and SMC.

kyle dixon
06-02-2009, 07:29 AM
I wish Patty Mills all the best in the NBA. I have a feeling he will make some contributions to an NBA club over time.

That being said I am glad we do not have to see him again. He is a tough player. St. Marys is beginning to become a team that has found their niche recruiting Australia and bringing in quality players. They will feel the effect of losing two great players this year though when healthy both Patty Mills and Diamon Simpson are top WCC performers who were critical to the Gaels success. Bennett is a good enough coach to make the adjustment though and present a tough team come WCC action.

CDC84
06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
More:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/01/SPUM17V3VO.DTL

I don't think this quote from the AP story can be completely ignored:

He said the only way he would return to school would be if enough teams told him before the draft that he should play another college season.

A favorite college basketball analyst says that until a player signs with an agent, you should never ever trust his word. In a way, players have to say they're in the draft in order for NBA teams to seriously evaluate them.

sullyzag66
06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
More:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/01/SPUM17V3VO.DTL

I don't think this quote from the AP story can be completely ignored:

A favorite college basketball analyst says that until a player signs with an agent, you should never ever trust his word. In a way, players have to say they're in the draft in order for NBA teams to seriously evaluate them.
Yep. When the report didn't mention that he had hired an agent, I thought, "he's keeping his options open."

mainer6
06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Good. Now I can openly root for Mills instead of having to be a closet fan. I think I will follow his pro career at least as much as I do Daye's. Blasphemy I know, but true.

gonstu
06-03-2009, 05:52 AM
does this mean if we win conference next year, it is...

TAINTED

gonstu
06-03-2009, 07:25 AM
sorry, missed this reference in kitzbuel's post earlier...

wazZag
06-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Not only next year, but the year after...both...tainted

:eek: