PDA

View Full Version : Son of Iowa State coach to visit Gonzaga

BobZag
05-31-2009, 09:19 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/868681.html

Doug McDermott, SF: He’s been playing well this spring and improving each time we’ve seen him. Pretty soon he’s going to put his father, Iowa State head coach Greg McDermott, in a tough spot! He shot the ball well and finished strong inside. Came up with 22 points in the nightcap.

Doug McDermott has a offers from Northern Iowa and Montana State. He’ll attend Gonzaga’s elite camp and Creighton is on him. …

[BZ is not at all impressed by his school list.]

-------------------------------

Deandre Daniels has received good reviews from the Pangos Camp and Alex Kirk has, as well. Ben Vozzola got a nice eval yesterday. And PF James Johnson is from Canada and now lives in San Diego, and he is looking very good. I just wonder if GU's Canadian pipeline might help with him, even if he isn't in Canada anymore.

That all said, none of the above are mentioning Gonzaga...for now.

spudzag
05-31-2009, 10:34 AM
James Johnson is interesting, with a back-to-the-basket game. I like the write up on Scout. nicve size at 6-8, 210. Looks like the typical battle with the PAC 10.

James Johnson was born in the U.S., but spent nine years growing up in Canada before returning to live in San Diego. He was ineligible as a junior due to transfer rules. Athletic, with a good body and good feet, he has a nice back-to-the-basket game while also a good-looking jumper out to the arc. He's a high major.

BobZag
05-31-2009, 10:41 AM
James Johnson (2010)- This 6-foot-9 post player has some bounce to his game and is quick to the ball. He gave the taller, but slower Alex Kirk fits with his aggressive play. James plays with an aggression that coaches crave in big guys.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-31-2009, 10:49 AM
James Johnson (2010)- This 6-foot-9 post player has some bounce to his game and is quick to the ball. He gave the taller, but slower Alex Kirk fits with his aggressive play. James plays with an aggression that coaches crave in big guys.

I certainly like the sound of that.

IowaSERE
05-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I will be SHOCKED if young McDermott does not walk on at ISU. He is a mid-major talent and if he wants playing time, could end up at UNI where his dad coached and is good friends with the new head coach.

Here is a funny quote from Doug.

"I've been talking to UNI, Creighton, Indiana State, Loyola Chicago and Montana State," Doug MeDermott said Thursday. "I can call them any time and they can call me once a month. Those are the schools I've talked to lately. And I talk to the Iowa State head coach quite a bit."

spudzag
05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Johnson's profile on Rivals shows offers and high interest in San Diego and California as well as an offer from Arizona. He lists 8 with no GU. We could be a late to the dance on this one. Bright kid, 3.5 GPA, lots to like.

OZZag
05-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Johnson's profile on Rivals shows offers and high interest in San Diego and California as well as an offer from Arizona. He lists 8 with no GU. We could be a late to the dance on this one. Bright kid, 3.5 GPA, lots to like.

James played in the U17 Canadian Nationals last year with the Alberta team, but had problems with transferring to the high school team he was to play with. He has had San Diego schools chasing him for at least a year now, hence the reason he moved down to get better exposure. James is ranked as 3rd best Canadian centre for his class, and #12 overall on Barry Hayes' Hoopstars.ca website.

RagTagZag
05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
I worked with James Johnson father in Canada until he finally relocated to San Diego earlier this year. He said James often plays pick-up games at USD and is eagerly awaiting an offer from Bill Grier. :(

BobZag
02-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Spot on opinions to this day! Not impressed with Montana State or Northern Illinois, and James Johnson is in the NBA, not bad! Now I'm kinda hoping the staff goes hard after Tres Tinkle, who reminds me of a cross between Dranginis and McDermott.

I told you sooooooooooo. Neener neener.

Awesome!

adoptedzag
02-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Spot on opinions to this day! Not impressed with Montana State or Northern Illinois, and James Johnson is in the NBA, not bad! Now I'm kinda hoping the staff goes hard after Tres Tinkle, who reminds me of a cross between Dranginis and McDermott.

Awesome!

Is today toot your own horn day?! ;)

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Not to hate or anything, but I coulda swore McDermott was the head coach of Creighton?

cjm720
02-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Not to hate or anything, but I coulda swore McDermott was the head coach of Creighton?

Back in 2009, when this thread was created, he was at ISU.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
LOL! Wow. I am an idiot.

BobZag
02-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Is today toot your own horn day?! ;)

A very tiny kazoo, more like.

jazzdelmar
02-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Oops.

siliconzag
02-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Won another one for the Jays last night. He is, baring injury, POY. I almost got sucked into the Smart vs. McDermott debate earlier in the season (on the who would you rather have, DMD or MS as a Zag thread), but thought better of it. Athleticism is defined in a lot of different ways. To some folks it means you don't have to try as hard. Here is a guy who tries real hard: averaging 25+ game and rebounds well, shoots threes over 40%, shoots FTs over 90%, and drops dimes when you guard double team him. But he is less athletic and long, as has been pointed out by the "experts" on this forum. Dougie is going to have one of the finest collegiate careers ever, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. He is smart, humble, soft spoken, and just plain good. And so are his parents, Greg and Theresa.

Zag fans, you want to pray to stay away from that Creighton team. They are subject to some of the same vulnerabilities the Zags are, but unfortunately the Zags don't play defense that well and don't always rebound that well either. Can you imagine either team slowing it down in a head to head contest? The only way to beat Creighton this year is to slow the pace way down, or get very lucky and hot (like SDSU) and play smothering defense.

I can understand Zag fans thinking wistfully back on the flirtation with Gonzaga. But really, how much nicer story could there by? Kid plays for Dad, who on his cell phone is identified as "Coach." He is not only the player of the year, this is the human interest story of the year. Go Jays!!!!!!!

Birddog
02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
A very tiny kazoo, more like.
Kazoos sound a little like farts.

sittingon50
02-14-2014, 03:07 PM
How did that kid ever turn out?

thespywhozaggedme
02-14-2014, 06:13 PM

Awesome!

Uh.......James Johnson is averaging 2 points in 11 minutes per game for SDSU.