PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports top 10 active coaches - No Few?!

N texas 509er
05-31-2009, 05:48 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/pgStory?contentId=9591260#sport=COLLEGE%20BASKETBA LL&photo=9590608

Be interested on Zags perspective... In my mind there are several not on the list that you scratch your head about: Billy Donovan, Jim Boeheim, Bill Self, Jim Calhoun, John Calipari and yes Mark Few - especially after the first 4 or 5.

Here was their top 10 (according to Josh Herwitt, college basketball editor for FOXSports.com)

1. Tom Izzo, Michigan State
2. Rick Pitino, Louisville
3. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke
4. Roy Williams, North Carolina
5. Jay Wright, Villanova
6. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin
7. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
8. Ben Howland, UCLA
9. Sean Miller, Arizona
10. Tony Bennett, Virginia

J-Mac Zag Forever
05-31-2009, 06:29 AM
Should be number one on that list!

bballbeachbum
05-31-2009, 06:50 AM
my guess: Mr. Herwitt's editor at FOX assigned him to create a list that would generate controversy and chatter, not a list of the Top 10 active coaches

then again, it's fun to stir the opinion ###, so I'll bite

1. Coach K
2. Izzo
3. Donovan
4. Calhoun
5. Williams
6. Pitino
7. Self
8. Boeheim
9. Howland
10. and then there's a bunch who are awesome yet still looking for the signature season, if you will, including our own Coach Few, my favorite active coach, bar none

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Goshzagit
05-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Tony Bennett over Coach Few?

:lmao:

GoZags
05-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Calipari?

Goshzagit
05-31-2009, 07:26 AM
Romar?

BroncoZAG615
05-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Impossible to do such a list with basketball the way it is today. Their are great recruiters and great coaches. Their is a mix of some people but I think we know who the great recruiters are (John "test scores" Calipari, Pitino, Roy Williams) and their are great coaches who get the most out of whatever talent they have (Self, Izzo, Jay Wright).

That being said, any list of top coaches in the NCAA without Bill Self is completely wrong. Give me Izzo, Self, and Wright and you can have the field. Few is a great coach, but not in the top 10.

MickMick
05-31-2009, 08:48 AM
The prettiest gal doesn't always win the pageant.

Writers need to make a living. They cater to market share. They cater to fan base. They know less about coaching than the 50th ranked coach.

If I were to rank the top 10 rock guitarists, there would certainly be a great one left out. If you were to rank the guitarists by "success" (platinum albums), there would be some really, really great ones left out.

You want a measure of Few's ability? His record speaks for itself. The "feelers" for potential job offers speak volumes. If he were to take a job at a big name school, he would magically appear on these "lists." The same goes for the coaches of Davidson and St. Josephs.

Gonzdb8
05-31-2009, 12:02 PM
never trust fox news (i guess that should now include fox sports).

Das Zagger
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
1. Tom Izzo, Michigan State - multiple final fours, national title
2. Rick Pitino, Louisville - multiple final fours, national title
3. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke - multiple final fours, three national titles
4. Roy Williams, North Carolina - multiple final fours, two national titles
5. Jay Wright, Villanova - final four
6. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin - Couple of E8's
7. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh - Elite 8
8. Ben Howland, UCLA - multiple final fours, national runner-up
9. Sean Miller, Arizona - Eh?
10. Tony Bennett, Virginia - I'm shocked at this one, shocked

Agree with the majority of the list but Bennett?

CDC84
06-01-2009, 08:03 AM
I think Few's W-L record and active winning percentage automatically puts him on this list ahead of Bennett and Miller. It's just too impressive. He won more games in his first 7 years than any D-1 coach in the history of college basketball. What he's done in terms of building Gonzaga into a national program that recruits at the high major level might be his most impressive accomplishment. He certainly had help, but when he took over the program, he had far less to work with than Miller did when he inherited Xavier after Matta bailed for Ohio State.

Roy Williams should be at #2 at worst. I might make him #1, but Coach K deserves that respect for his accomplishments with Team USA last year.

TheZagPhish
06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I think Few's W-L record and active winning percentage automatically puts him on this list ahead of Bennett and Miller. It's just too impressive. He won more games in his first 7 years than any D-1 coach in the history of college basketball.

Thank you, CDC.