PDA

View Full Version : Transitions - Affecting GU Basketball?

75Zag
05-30-2009, 04:53 PM
In about a month (July 15 actually) we say goodbye, good luck and thanks to Fr. Spitzer. As has been reported here and elsewhere, he has been a great friend to GU basketball.

I hear the search process for Fr. Spitzer's replacement is going about as slowly as frozen molasses in January, and that the interim President Thayne M. McCulloh may be at GU for a lot longer than might otherwise be expected. I presume (since, like me, he attended GU) that McCulloh is a decent guy, but after reading his biography, it sounds as if he may be the only person less athletically inclined than me to have ever attended GU.

Anybody know anything about him, including his ability / inclination to support and further the athletic department? If he is only there for 60 days it will not matter, but if he sticks around for a year I assume he will be voting as GU President on various WCC issues (tournament locations, TV contracts).

I admit this is a weak thread - blame the summer time blues - but I am curious to hear the Spokane insider perspective.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

scottloos
06-01-2009, 01:21 PM
In about a month (July 15 actually) we say goodbye, good luck and thanks to Fr. Spitzer. As has been reported here and elsewhere, he has been a great friend to GU basketball.

I hear the search process for Fr. Spitzer's replacement is going about as slowly as frozen molasses in January, and that the interim President Thayne M. McCulloh may be at GU for a lot longer than might otherwise be expected. I presume (since, like me, he attended GU) that McCulloh is a decent guy, but after reading his biography, it sounds as if he may be the only person less athletically inclined than me to have ever attended GU.

Anybody know anything about him, including his ability / inclination to support and further the athletic department? If he is only there for 60 days it will not matter, but if he sticks around for a year I assume he will be voting as GU President on various WCC issues (tournament locations, TV contracts).

I admit this is a weak thread - blame the summer time blues - but I am curious to hear the Spokane insider perspective.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I could not think of a better person to lead Gonzaga as interim President than Thayne McCulloh. I lived next to him for a year when I was a sophomore in Catherine/Monica hall (he was my RA). As a student, he served as a resident assistant and resident director, was president of Alpha Sigma Nu (the Jesuit honor society), and was elected student body president in his senior year.

He joined the Gonzaga staff in 1990 and has served the University for the past 19 years in a variety of positions. After starting in student affairs, he later moved on to: Director of Housing, Asst. Dean of Students, Dean of Student Academic Services, Dean of Student Financial Services, Associated Academic Vice President, Vice President for Administration & Planning, and most recently Interim Academic Vice President. He is active in the local community and married to Julie McCulloh - Gonzaga Dean of Admissions.

He has served Gonzaga throughout the Spitzer era and I believe that he is well-placed to serve Gonzaga into the future. He is a Zag through and through.

MDABE80
06-02-2009, 12:47 AM
FR Spitzer is about as complete an administrator, scholar, Jesuit, builder and the most perfect fit for GU as I can remember.....It's unlikely anyone immediately around will match him or even come close. He's one of those rare guys..........times do change though. He's being sent elsewhere to work and most think it's sad. This past week, a group of business leaders met and enjoyed his company for that last time. "Overwhelmed" was the prevalent adjective used following.

Then he gave a wonderful talk on how Jesus is with us day in and out...and it was to a high end group of money men and influential types. This guy is one of a kind and is the best fit..and we've had him for a decade. One of his teachers told be that he was the most talented and brightest he's seen ever.

Nobody can fill those shoes. Someone will come. Different to be sure but a hardworking person with a vision. The best thing always happens somehow. We in the community of Zags will be fine (fingers crossed)......