PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft Combine Day 2

gozags09
05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Austin impressive today according to Lavin..

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4215475&categoryid=null

BobZag
05-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Good stuff.

ZagNative
06-01-2009, 05:51 PM
More stuff on Austin ...

From Hoopsreport.com (http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=272):

STOCK UP:
Austin Daye, Gonzaga: Daye is easily one of the most impressive players in interviews. He is smart and well-spoken, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Daye measured at 6-foot-11, which is incredibly impressive for a small forward. He only weighed in at 192 pounds, which is very frail, but that was expected. Daye is very impressive workouts. For a 6-foot-11 player, he can really shoot the ball, handle the ball in transition, and play above the rim.From RushtheCourt.com (http://rushthecourt.net/2009/05/31/debriefing-the-2009-nba-predraft-camp/):
Austin Daye, Gonzaga - Daye measured out very well at 6′11 in shoes with a 7′3 wingspan, but at 192 pounds he might get blown away by a stiff breeze. He also excelled in the workouts, showing a strong fundamental basis and a sure stroke from everywhere on the court. There are still concerns about his relative strength, but according to Chad Ford, a couple of lottery teams were willing to give him another look after his workouts. Probably leaning draft after this camp.

bullzag23
06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Gonzaga's Austin Daye continued to generate buzz -- both good and bad -- on the last day of the combine. He measured taller and longer than virtually any small forward prospect in the history of the draft. However, he also measured as the skinniest. Kevin Durant clocked in at 215 pounds at the combine two years ago. Daye? 191 pounds.

Daye's going to be one of the more difficult players to project. He has the skill set and height of a lottery pick, but his lack of strength and questionable motor are being heavily taken into account.

A number of teams in the late lottery to mid-first round -- including the Bobcats, Pacers, Suns and Pistons -- are all giving him a hard look right now.

Clark
Daye's main competition might be Louisville's Earl Clark, who was also very impressive in drills. He measured out at a legit 6-foot-10 in shoes, has a huge 7-foot-2 wingspan and weighs nearly 40 pounds more than Daye.

He definitely has the size to play the 4 in the NBA, and that could go a long way toward securing him a pick in the lottery.

While Clark isn't the shooter that Daye is, he is a better rebounder and athlete, and he's getting a pretty strong endorsement from his head coach Rick Pitino, who has told a number of GMs that Clark is a good kid and has limitless potential. He's just a follower. If he's in the right situation with good influences around him, he could be a player in the mold of Lamar Odom.

But if he's in the wrong situation with a bad mentor, it could spell disaster.

The Nets are giving Clark a long look at No. 11. The Bobcats and Suns are, too. I doubt he slips past the Pistons at No. 15.

I'm surprised to hear anything about Daye's 'questionable motor' since I haven't heard one thing about this up until now. Is this something that's been appearing consistently in reports?

ZagNative
06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
That reference to questions about Austin's motor is news to me, too. I think it's nuts, personally.

The following story isn't directly related to the combine, but it's interesting, and I didn't know where else to stick it. From the Minnesota Twin Cities Pioneer Press online site (http://blogs.twincities.com/timberwolves/2009/06/slim-picking-gonzaga-forward-d.html). (Interesting to note Austin's seeming to have raised the bar for how low he'd be willing to go rather than returning to school. Where I've seen him say "12 to 23," he's saying in this piece the cutoff would be in the neighborhood of 17.)
Slim picking? Gonzaga forward Daye no stranger to Kahn
By Don Seeholzer on June 1, 2009 6:31 PM

Gonzaga sophomore Austin Daye raised some eyebrows at last week's NBA draft combine in Chicago when he weighed in at just 192 pounds, but Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn already knew all about the 6-foot-11 forward's slender frame.

"I went to college with Austin's dad," Kahn said today after Daye and 11 other players went through pre-draft workouts for the Wolves. "We were both UCLA class of '83, so I've had an interest in Austin just from a distance even when he was a big high school player. So I was familiar with Austin's lack of girth."

Daye's father, Darren, played five NBA seasons for the Washington Bullets, Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics from 1983-88.

His son is projected to go anywhere from a late lottery pick to the middle of the first round, despite his obvious lack of bulk.

"He's intriguing, though," Kahn said. "He's got a lot of skill. I think there's something to say when you grew up in an NBA household, which he did, because his dad played a lot of years in the league. I think that Austin's got a lot of upside, but yes he does need to get bigger. That's obvious."

Daye has a good shooting touch for a big man and compared his game to that of Detroit's Tayshaun Prince and Orlando's Rashard Lewis.

With the Wolves in need of a wing scorer, that could make Daye tempting if he's still available with the second of their three first-round picks (18th overall). At this point, Daye isn't even sure that he's in the draft to stay.

"We'll see," he said. "I'm looking to stay, but if it's a thing where it doesn't look great for me, I'll probably opt out and go back to school."

Asked what his cutoff point is for staying in the draft, Daye said: "Probably like around 9-16, 9-17, somewhere in that range. We'll see how it goes."