PDA

View Full Version : It is time to move on...

AzZag
05-30-2009, 08:44 AM
The next time we will see AD in a Zags uniform is an alumni game in the year 2040.

The worse thing that happened for Zags fan that want him back is that the NBA shifted towards a skills combine, instead of five on five game settings.

In his interview, he is self-projecting going from 11th to 18th.

Barring an injury in these workouts, which I truly don't ever want to happen, he is not coming back folks. Period. Exclamation point. Done deal.

There is way too much hype right now.

My only wish from here on out is that he becomes an advocate and supporter of the GU program in the same vein as Ronny throughout his career.

Time to move on and get pumped about #15, SG the SG and the rest of the gang!

23dpg
05-30-2009, 08:54 AM
You may be correct and I also wish Austin the best in whatever path he chooses.

I watched a little of ESPNU and they had him as a riser in the draft. However, CBS Sports sees it differently.

4. Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga (arrow down)
There isn't a more skilled player at any position in this draft than the 6-foot-10 Daye. The only problem is his body and mettle, which are light years behind his basketball IQ. In a different era, that wouldn't have been a problem for teams on draft night. Times have changed. Few teams are willing to gamble on Daye's lottery talent catching up to his late first-round physique. And when a player this talented disappears during the course of games the way did at Gonzaga last season, there is legitimate cause for concern. Daye hasn't fully committed to staying in the draft yet, an indication to some teams that he too might have some reservations about his readiness for the next level.

MDABE80
05-30-2009, 10:47 AM
He can eat and lift weights while sitting on the end of an NBA Bench while making $1.5 million/year. It's a weak draft. He'd need to seriously excell to get this high in next year's draft. I'd like to see him back here.......and I think it would be good for him for many reasons (not just basketball), but it's out of our control. If he gets his number, he'll be gone. I agree that it's time to shift focus to the kids that want/need to be here. Everyone wishes Austin the very best.

MickMick
05-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Zag fans are fortunate that a player like Daye chose Gonzaga. Players like him open the door for future skilled players to give GU a serious look.

I will follow his career with interest. Unlike the "experts", I think he will be a fine pro. Dirk Nowitzke opened the door for lengthy perimeter shooters and that is exactly the niche that Austin will nicely fill. I don't expect him to significantly "bulk up" and I believe the NBA GMs don't expect it from him either. His physical make up isn't that of an inside "banger".

It doesn't hurt that Daye is an excellent passer. Where he will really stand out is with his shot blocking ability. I personally believe he is the best shot blocker to ever put on a Zag uniform and if he had stayed full term, would have set school records (for shot blocking) that would have stood for a long time.

Another area he excelled at is defending the inbound pass. He made some pretty nice inbound blocks where he actually tipped the ball to himself for a turnover.

These are niche areas that will get him playing time. I think he will enjoy a lengthy career in the NBA.

BobZag
05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
People are throwing in the towel awfully quick.

I don't know if he'll go or stay. A few weeks ago he was returning. Now, not so sure.

With Daye, the Zags will be a Top-10 team. Without him, the Zags would still be Top-25.

This board would be one big, happy party if he announced he were returning.

The really nice thing is, in case Daye does indeed bolt, is the 2009 class that's coming in. Because of players like Elias, Kong, Arop, Dower, it helps alleviate any loss like possibly Daye.

Otoh, Austin knows full well he'll be the focal point of the Zag team, a team blessed with guards to get him the ball and bigs to handle the paint. Matt will make sure Austin gets the ball a-plenty.

And Abe, the 2010 draft is fairly dismal as well. Look at this--

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/

It's arguably weaker than this year's draft.

Only two weeks and we'll all find out. Time flies.

PS. I think whatever decision Austin makes, we, as Zag fans, should thank him for 1) choosing Gonzaga and 2) helping the Zags sweep the WCC and advance to the Sweet 16.

AzZag
05-30-2009, 04:05 PM

I don't know if he'll go or stay. A few weeks ago he was returning. Now, not so sure.

With Daye, the Zags will be a Top-10 team. Without him, the Zags would still be Top-25.

The really nice thing is, in case Daye does indeed bolt, is the 2009 class that's coming in. Because of players like Elias, Kong, Arop, Dower, it helps alleviate any loss like possibly Daye.

Otoh, Austin knows full well he'll be the focal point of the Zag team, a team blessed with guards to get him the ball and bigs to handle the paint. Matt will make sure Austin gets the ball a-plenty.

PS. I think whatever decision Austin makes, we, as Zag fans, should thank him for 1) choosing Gonzaga and 2) helping the Zags sweep the WCC and advance to the Sweet 16.

I am sorry BZ...
However, I am throwing in the towel like Apollo Creed's trainer did when Creed got crushed by Captain Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. It's over...

It will take me a little bit of time to get used to seeing AD in an NBA uniform without a three quarters length Hanes Beefy T. Does anyone else find it odd that there is the rule in the NBA that you can't wear an undershirt? I don't get it...I wonder if it had to do with the whole negative image that Georgetown brought to the table back in the 80's. They all wore t-shirts under their jerseys. Nice ash grey ones, that showed nice, dark armpit sweat :)

Best of luck AD, THANK YOU for comitting to the Zags a few years ago and keeping us an elite "mid-major" force. And thank you for giving us lots of ooohs and ahhhs...especially during warm ups when you would drain 35 foot jumpers repeatedly...

It says a lot about an elite basketball program when there is enogh talent on the team to have these types of "problems"

75Zag
05-30-2009, 04:25 PM
As they say in horse racing and in the current Minnesota senate race, there are some things that are too early to call.

I will not be surprised if Austin goes in the draft. I have said elsewhere that I believe it might actually help GU's stature in the eyes of other elite high school kids if Austin does go in the draft, because it shows that GU is a school that can nurture and launch elite kids who want to get to the NBA without finishing a 4 year program.

That being said, it is WAY too early to know what is going to happen with Austin. Some of the mock draft sites show him as a solid 15 - 20 but others show him substantially lower.

Good luck and God Bless to this young man as he reaches out to try and achieve what is probably a life-long dream of making the NBA. But let's not empty out his locker at GU quite yet, as he may need it for another year or two.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

NotoriousZ
05-30-2009, 04:51 PM
No prediction either way if he stays or goes...just wish him the best. He should be fine either way. He's always reminded me a little of Sam "Big Smooth" Perkins--tall and slender with a great outside shot. I can't really compair him to any current players because I haven't seriously followed the NBA since the Sonics (remember the Sonics?) fired George Karl. But with more Zags entering the league I'll probably get sucked back in.

Best of luck AD.

4AmericasTeam
05-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I wish Austin the very best no matter what. That said, call me stupid, but I would pick Micah over Austin right now -- more athleticism; better defense and plenty of skills.

hoopster777
05-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Why do you say the 2010 draft is weak? There are always strong performers who surprise the "experts". Plus if John Wall is the guy everyone expects he is, 2010 draft could be a lot like 2008, with a top point guard leading the way (like Derrick Rose). There isn't that kind of performer in this years draft class. Griffin is a dominant college player but I highly doubt he can out performer and be more physical than someone like Dwight Howard.

Its really hard to make the prediction that next year will be weak. Before this year, Daye was projected as a top 5 pick in 2009. Now, this entire board questions if he is even a 1st rounder (which I personally am skeptical about).

hoopster777
05-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Heres a question, will Austin still wear an X-Large t-shirt if he does get drafted? Can't think of anyone in the league who wears a sleeve t-shirt. Maybe when he stands next to LeBron in a game, he'll be motivated to bulk up.

MDABE80
05-30-2009, 07:32 PM
STUPID. wow- I love Micah, but that just shows your bias. Micah couldn't hold Austins jock.

It's always better to disagree without name calling or using demeaning descriptors of a poster's comment. I hope we all agree on this Savage...

mainer6
05-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Is saying you "wish Austin the best" akin to saying "I support the troops"? Is there room for anyone who might have a little less appreciation for Daye if he leaves early? Or is that perspective so taboo that it is best left unsaid?

MickMick
05-31-2009, 07:17 AM
Is saying you "wish Austin the best" akin to saying "I support the troops"? Is there room for anyone who might have a little less appreciation for Daye if he leaves early? Or is that perspective so taboo that it is best left unsaid?

Why the dissapointment?

As always, the Zags will reload with great players. That process is easier with former Zags playing in the NBA. All of the contenders (UNC, UCLA, Memphis, etc.) typically lose underclassmen to the pro game. It is a recruiting sales pitch for every top program out there.

You wanna be a top contender? You gotta tolerate underclassmen declaring early.

I could understand the concern if Gonzaga were in a cyclic situation. But hasn't the team delivered a decade of winning 75% of their games and annually reaching the post season?

Can the Zags thrive without Austin? Sure they can. They have successfully moved on after every recent great player they have had. Why would anyone expect different?

BobZag
05-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Why do you say the 2010 draft is weak? There are always strong performers who surprise the "experts". Plus if John Wall is the guy everyone expects he is, 2010 draft could be a lot like 2008, with a top point guard leading the way (like Derrick Rose). There isn't that kind of performer in this years draft class. Griffin is a dominant college player but I highly doubt he can out performer and be more physical than someone like Dwight Howard.

Its really hard to make the prediction that next year will be weak. Before this year, Daye was projected as a top 5 pick in 2009. Now, this entire board questions if he is even a 1st rounder (which I personally am skeptical about).

I meant 2010 will likely be no better than 2009. Griffin is no Howard but I don't see any Howard-clone in 2010, either. Wall could be great but any greater than Ricky Rubio or Tyreke Evans? Bottom line, I view 2010 and 2009 as equal.

Don't include me in your "entire board." Message boards are funny. Two loonies say something and it's the entire board. Oh well.

Good luck, Austin!

4AmericasTeam
05-31-2009, 05:53 PM
MDABE... it's a little bit of a joke, get how he said "call me stupid"? I disagree so I called him stupid like he asked. come on.

So much for the rhetorical