PDA

View Full Version : Another Canadian big

NorthoftheBorder
05-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Did the Zags ever take a look at Chad Posthumus out of Winnipeg?

His father went to high school in Grand Forks, British Columbia (3 hours north of Spokane) so he'd be quite familiar with Spokane.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/littlemanoncampus/archive/2009/03/27/from-winnipeg-with-a-7-foot-3-wingspan-pivot-posthumus-gives-t-birds-a-towering-presence.aspx

BobZag
05-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Staff probably looked.

OZZag
05-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Did the Zags ever take a look at Chad Posthumus out of Winnipeg?

His father went to high school in Grand Forks, British Columbia (3 hours north of Spokane) so he'd be quite familiar with Spokane.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/littlemanoncampus/archive/2009/03/27/from-winnipeg-with-a-7-foot-3-wingspan-pivot-posthumus-gives-t-birds-a-towering-presence.aspx

From the outside Chad had good numbers, but you have to look at the competition he played in to adjust them to a certain extent. Talent evaluators like Barry Hayes on Hooplife.ca ranked him the 5th best centre in Canada for the class, behind Rob Dewar and John Brutto who both ended up playing in CIS schools as well. D1 level centres are more of a rarity coming out of Canada as most don't get the exposure and competition that they need to impress schools down south. To give you an example, not only did he dominate the B.C. scene at his position play for Canada internationally, Rob Sacre played AAU ball out of Portland as well.

CanadZag
05-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Chad is from my former high school, River East.

While I have never seen him play in person, I will make these general comments on high school basketball in Manitoba.

Firstly, the stats are inflated because of his sheer size. Centers with his size and any ounce of athleticism have a major advantage as they truly have no equal match-ups. If you are close to 6'6 you play center, that's just how it goes. It is not uncommon to have post players who are in the 6'1 to 6'3 range...most games he would have played he would have had an several-inch height advantage.

Secondly, it is hard to project him as an NCAA d-1 player. Not in the past 10 years (since Todd MacCollough) has a high school player gone to even a solid mid-major school down south. And we have had some dominant players at the high school level too.

UBC is probably the second best CIS program (behind Carleton), but honestly the CIS is nowhere near D-1 ball. I'm not sure what it'd be, but I've been to both CIS and NCAA games and there really is no comparison.

By all accounts he seems like a great kid with a bright future at UBC...and has the potential to be a standout in the CIS.

Best of luck to him.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/amateur/hes-reaching-new-heights-44355572.html

coach
09-18-2009, 09:46 PM
U B C has played NCAA Div 1 teams last year they beat Cal State Fulerton 99 - 81 Carleton beat South Alabama 78 -59 beat North Eastern 71-47 Lost to Kansas in overtime 84-83 this was while they where ranked number 1 The top Canadian CIS tems can compete with NCAA

coach
09-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Chad did have contact with Gonzaga. I believe Gonzaga has 3 Canadians this year. Chad was an allstar at the under 17 nationals. He lead the country in rebounds and block shots. He beat Kelly Olynik of B.C. in rebounds by quite a large margin. He was also one of the top scorers.with the lowest time played. He didn,t play much against the weak teams. It is to bad you didn,t see him play , There are no more 6-1 posts .Most teams played a zone and he was double and triple teamed. Oak park had a 6-8 and a 6-6 on him ST Pauls a 6-7 and 6-6 Garden City 6-5 and 6-5 Morden Winkler has a 6-11 plays for Brandon University Chad got 58 on him, All the top teams have at least a 6-5 plus post He also scores alot from the top of the key and a fad away hook . He could have gone to a dozen U. S. universitys He decided to stay in Canada. His ranking was before Nationals and he went from 230 to 265 lbs in his senior year where he also got Highschool all Canadian. His 69 point game was against the number 2 ranked team they had 3 players in the 6-5 range includiung the leading scorer on the provincial team. UBC was a good fit they lost 2 of there big men and their trainer is type one diabetic the same as Chad.