PDA

View Full Version : How interested would you be in a Gonzaga Rivals page?

theothegreat21
05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I ask this question because BroncoZag and myself have had some preliminary talks about starting up a Gonzaga Rivals page in August or September. We know how great the fanbase is here on this site, and on the Slipper Still Fits, but we also recognize that when it comes to having to spend $10 a month, or $100 a year, some people might not be as interested.

However, please let us know either through this thread or by sending a PM to myself or Bronco if you would be interested. We want to be able to give Rivals a preliminary estimate to what kind of subscription numbers we could have.

Thanks

LongIslandZagFan
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
... We know how great the fanbase is here on this site, and on the Slipper Still Fits, but we also recognize that when it comes to having to spend $10 a month, or $100 a year, some people might not be as interested...

I'd say that would likely answer your question. I just don't see people spending money on something that is currently free. I know I wouldn't... but perhaps that is just me.

cjm720
05-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't pay for it but I do visit the rivals site from time to time and it annoys me that there is no Gonzaga presence, even for the free stuff (recruiting classes, etc.).

spudzag
05-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I have substribed to Rivals in the past and would do so again if there was a GU page. The cost is fine with me.

zagzealot
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
My zealotry does not include paying $ to read a website.

cbbfanatic
05-27-2009, 12:10 PM
you could always start up a free board on rivals... i think there are a number of schools whose free board gets more traffic than the insiders/pay board

i think a rivals board would be a good idea, you'd draw a lot more outsiders too as its so much easier to find a rivals page than this site... for the casual fan of other schools anyway

kitzbuel
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I find the consolidation of information here on GU Boards to be easiest for me to use. I really only venture to Rivals or Scout to check on new recruit info and then come back here to get the details.

If it improved the quality of reporting on GU recruits, it might be helpful, but then I don't think that Rivals is going to get anything that SSF and GU Boards doesn't already have. I also like the anonymity GU has on a lot of its overseas recruiting and don't too much like the idea of broadcasting it on a nationally accessed medium. Call it operational security.

gamagin
05-27-2009, 12:27 PM
but no thanks. if you go to rivals, i'd go first for the free option. if you can become exclusive enough to be able to charge, go for that. imo.

guniverse
05-27-2009, 01:35 PM
i think that rivals is generally more accurate than scout and it does annoy me that they do not have a free gonzaga page, but i am not so annoyed that i would pay money to kick the annoying feeling

lothar98zag
05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
would not pay, but would probably visit a bit - at least at the start. (unless it's worse than the current state of the GU scout page, but I don't think that's possible...)

kdaleb
05-27-2009, 01:56 PM
wouldn't pay, might visit occasionally

GoZags
05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I've got friends that were intimately involved in the start of Rivals (later became Scout). For the individual school sites -- there is a lot that is required from a content standpoint. Articles. Interviews. Updates.

This site has much of the same information, but rather than paying to read Premium articles -- this site provides (hopefully) insightful posts from folks like CDC and RobertoZag -- and others.

Good luck to you if you pull the trigger.

I've slowly weaned myself off the the premium sites.

CDC84
05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
One of the reasons why we migrated to this site was due to scout.com's increasing demands for premium content. They acted as if Gonzaga was a university in a BCS league with 45,000 students and a big time football program.

HillBillyZag
05-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Nope.

MDABE80
05-27-2009, 06:17 PM
This site is enough. Im in favor of getting GU as much publicity as possible...

I suppose it's like the Scout site..not much ...I think BZ et all has done such a magnificent job...it would be hard to better it. Might dilute things. So no..I'm not so interested.

ZagNut08
05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
I was approached about 4 years ago, when I was a soph at GU to start one. They had me do a lot of recruiting interviews for cincinatti to get some experience. In the end, they asked if I thought it would be a good money maker and my simple as was "no." Gonzaga doesn't deal with enough "rivals" recruits to make a premium article site worthwhile. Also, we have some moderators with some good inside info that makes this side far more valuable that some stranger interviewing a recruit over the phone.

It if were pay or nothing, then maybe...but when we have this site for free, no thanks

RenoZag
05-27-2009, 07:58 PM
I would pay for THIS site, but a Benjamin a year is a bit steep. $29.95 a year or some such number would seem reasonable to me. It would also limit the number of wankers who show up.

OTOH, how can you put a price on Zags mania ? Or The Foo ?

zagking
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
not me. Can't really beat this site since it's free

LAZAGFAN11
05-27-2009, 10:46 PM
No thanks. Only if BZ, CDC, and others decided to switch. I've been here for 5 years since the scout board days and I enjoy the conversation on this board for free.

MickMick
05-28-2009, 05:57 AM
This site works well for me. I doubt I would use a Rivals site.

theothegreat21
05-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded here or sent me a PM so far...we both really appreciate it.

However, there is one thing I do want to make clear

We aren't really going into the Rivals site with the focus on the messageboards to pay for. I agree, that it would be a little ridiculous to have to pay to chat about Gonzaga basketball. What the Rivals site would bring, that at this point no other place does bring, is a site that is totally focused on Gonzaga specific recruiting.

Meaning that there would be interviews done with key recruits and key high school and AAU coaches to allow for this site and other Gonzaga fans to have a better understanding of where Gonzaga stands with some of the top prospects. All these interviews would of course be done completely by the NCAA rules.

So therefore, I guess what you would be paying for is a website that gives you the focus and coverage on Gonzaga recruits, and totally on Gonzaga recruits

GoZags
05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded here or sent me a PM so far...we both really appreciate it.

However, there is one thing I do want to make clear

We aren't really going into the Rivals site with the focus on the messageboards to pay for. I agree, that it would be a little ridiculous to have to pay to chat about Gonzaga basketball. What the Rivals site would bring, that at this point no other place does bring, is a site that is totally focused on Gonzaga specific recruiting.

Meaning that there would be interviews done with key recruits and key high school and AAU coaches to allow for this site and other Gonzaga fans to have a better understanding of where Gonzaga stands with some of the top prospects. All these interviews would of course be done completely by the NCAA rules.

So therefore, I guess what you would be paying for is a website that gives you the focus and coverage on Gonzaga recruits, and totally on Gonzaga recruits

From a personal standpoint -- I understand what you're saying. Again -- I've got friends in that business (and have had chances over the years to do the type of thing you're describing -- both for Gonzaga and for Washington Husky football).

My opinion -- regardless of what a kid says in an interview, regardless of what he or she had for breakfast -- or what color socks they like, or who's contacting them -- it's all unofficial -- until a Press Release is issued by the University.

It's fun for many to follow things this closely -- and it is a big business.

Again -- my personal standpoint -- I don't believe our community is missing anything by not having this type of service. Good luck to you if you pull the trigger. I'll continue to be a huge supporter of your guys' work -- I just won't be a financial supporter. GoZags

dawgfather11
05-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I started with you guy's when youw ere on scout a long time ago I like this site here usually some pretty good discussions and most of you can handle friendly ribbing. That being said, going to rivals would be horrible i'm sorry if you guy's didn't like scout you will hate rivals, rivals is so inferior to scout it isn't even funny. Everything they do is a joke, for example they refuse to rank you in their top lists if you don't go to their show cases/training camps they put on no matter how good you are.

mez124
05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
No matter who you interview, talk to, or read about, the information and insight we get from Bobzag, CDC, ZagNative, GOZAGS, you (the slipper still fits)and many others, i dont see myself or others paying for the same info we receive here, from friendly jedi like sources. Id pay for this site, but not for another as long as this is being run as it is. Thanks BOBZAG and others for all you do for us

PS we need woohoo to start welcoming new people again