PDA

View Full Version : From 2.7 to 12.1

BobZag
04-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Pargo averaged 2.7ppg last year, his freshman year, and jumped to a 12.1ppg average this year, his sophomore year. Almost a 10 point jump.

Bouldin averaged 8.9ppg this year, his freshman year.

Considering Matt is every bit the gym rat and hard worker that Jeremy is, what kind of jump can be reasonably expected from Bouldin for next year, his sophomore year?

Predictions?

bayzag09
04-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I do not see Matt's point totals going up very much from this year to next. Not based on skill, but based on the distribution of points this team will be having. I would be very surprised if it became anything over 12 a game....

zag69
04-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I would say circa 15 ppg each for Jeremy and Matt, along with more assists for Pargo and more boards for Bouldin. Offensive production won't be a problem for next year's team.

Nevtelen
04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
I also think Bouldin's point totals won't take nearly as big a jump - he'll build on his skills, but I think we'll just have so many more offensive weapons ready to go next year and we won't be loosing nearly as much in terms of scoring. I think Bouldin will be around the 13 ppg mark, as will Pargo. The thing I really hope is that his TOs go down (which I think they will). Of course, since he won't be out of position next year, that'll help a lot, too.

CDC84
04-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Matt really needs to develop a more consistent 3 point shot. He is too prone to having hot and cold streaks from the outside. He also needs to do a better job of finishing those 5 foot type floaters that he is so adept at getting off in traffic.

roxdoc
04-01-2007, 01:16 PM
I assume that Pargo's turnover average went down as well for the year, but don't know the numbers.

mtzaga
04-01-2007, 03:08 PM
MB will probably be playing 38 minutes per game. I think he will score in the 15 ppg range.

lothar98zag
04-01-2007, 03:34 PM
MB will probably be playing 38 minutes per game. I think he will score in the 15 ppg range.

With the depth and talent that the team is suppose to have next year, I'll be shocked and a bit concerned if anyone next year averages over 34 minutes per game.

Regarding MB's ppg - I'd be happy w/ 12-13 per game. Like already metioned I'm more concerned that he cut down on his TO's and consistently hit 3s.

BobZag
04-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Matt really needs to develop a more consistent 3 point shot. He is too prone to having hot and cold streaks from the outside. He also needs to do a better job of finishing those 5 foot type floaters that he is so adept at getting off in traffic.

Don't forget his running 2-foot bank shots that missed more than went in. That must improve.

I'd be perfectly happy with 13ppg for Matt and Jeremy. It doesn't seem illogical or unreasonable to think Matt can improve 4.1ppg and Jeremy 0.9ppg to 13 each. Add Micah's improvement (see Micah's thread) and the starting backcourt should all be solid double figures.

Bocco
04-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd be happy with Jeremy, Matt, Micah, Josh, Pendo averaging in the 12-15ppg range. It is not an unreasonable expectation.

There is also a real possibility that as many as 10 players will go off for 20+ points during the course of the season in a game.

sonuvazag
04-02-2007, 09:14 AM
16.2 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.81 steals in 29.0 minutes

These were Gilbert Arenas's numbers in his sophomore year, before being drafted into the NBA and now scoring LOTS more at a higher level. At Arizona he was sandwiched in with so much talent that he had to do less, but the NBA scouts didn't miss the point.

I bring this up because I believe GU is now at or close to that Arizona level of talent depth that causes natural scorers to do less than capable.

We have six guys, at least, who should be able to average 15+ points a game, but they all won't. Interesting conversation, but I hope the players are most concerned with aspects of production that go beyond scoring.

My vote is Pendo for leading scorer. Let's just give this guy the green light and see him fly.

cielmike
04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
We have six guys, at least, who should be able to average 15+ points a game, but they all won't. Interesting conversation, but I hope the players are most concerned with aspects of production that go beyond scoring.

My vote is Pendo for leading scorer. Let's just give this guy the green light and see him fly.

I agree. I'ld like to see Pendo get to shoot more; as a senior, maybe he will. I think he will become THE team leader next season. All the offensive talent, will make it interesting to see how it gels. Guess this is part of the chemistry thing discussed frequently over the past season. Hope it comes together as soon as possible.

Zag79
04-07-2007, 01:46 AM
im surprised in all this talk about scoring next year it took this long to bring up pendo. why couldnt he score 15+? he has the shot, the ability and the knack for making big shots. does he even come off the bench this year?

DrDrivel
04-07-2007, 03:08 AM
I'll be more concerned with his assists totals next year. That's the jump I'm interested in spotting.

RebornZag
04-07-2007, 08:17 AM
This is a very legitimate point you make BZ. I remember the huge leap by Adam Morrison and even Derek Raivio as they went into their Sophomore seasons. Having a great Sophomore season is the Zag way. I think the sky could be the limit for Matt. He could average 17+ ppg if that's what is within the scheme of the offensive plan.

But then again so could Pargo, Downs, Josh...See what I mean? This team looks more and moe like Florida in the sense that we have 3 guys who are legitimate 20+ scorers, and Pendo who is capable of a steady 12-15 ppg. I really believe GU will be very difficult to defend this year. The key this year IS team chemistry. Can these guys, with all the talent, play together the way Florida did? I think that was Florida's key. Their tightness, and love for one another created a chemistry that was unbeatable. Sharing the ball...or sharing anything at all as far as that goes....in our 21st Century society is not normal. This will be the biggest challenge for the Zags. Can each individual make the necessary sacrifices when it's needed?