PDA

View Full Version : 19, 16, 20, 16, 12

BobZag
04-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Those are Micah's points in final five WCC games, including the WCC Tourney where he grabbed 10 boards per game in semis and finals to earn 1st-team All Tourney.

What can be reasonably expected from Micah in ppg next year?

Predictions?

ZagDaddy
04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
15 and 6

Gonezagaga
04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I think Micah will be a 16 and 6 guy next year. That is if Heytvelt, Kuso, Davis, Pendo, and Sacre leave any scraps for rebounds.

dawgman1999
04-01-2007, 09:45 AM
14 and 6. He'd be the second offensive option after Heytvelt.

MDABE80
04-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Micah will put up 15 and 8 next year. He's still "under the radar" BZ. Usually the scribes pick up 1 kid from a winning, prominent team and sort of make his the "star". I honestly think GU has so many stars, very few get big time credit. Ammo cleaned up and was annointed last year..didn't mean JP wasn't deserving but he just wasn't picked up even though 20 and 9 should do it.

In the upcoming year and the year beyond, I suspect Micah will be a star here....as will Josh, Theo, Daye, and quite a few others. To me, it's staggering the quality of talent Few and the staff have assembled. 15 and 8 easily would be my guess if he keeps his situation stable ie his head on stright. MFE

sanfranzagsguy20
04-01-2007, 09:56 AM
13 and 5.5...this is what imo can reasonably be EXPECTED of him...just because it is expected doesnt mean he's going to go out and do it...16 ppg is too high imo he is going to have off games its basically only his second year...i'd look for him to get into double figures this season but anything over 15 ppg would be a surprise to me...its not that he isnt capable of it...but i dont see it happening in his second year

Nevtelen
04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I think around 14 and 5 or so next year. He'll be our best outside shooter and will do a lot of damage that way, but it'll also limit his boards. Besides, I'm sure Heytvelt's rebounding will at least stay about the same and we will have another rebounding presence down low (getting boards was never Mallon's strength), so there will be less boards to go around to the other players. And our guards are _great_ rebounders (I also expect Gray to be a good rebounder).

jazzdelmar
04-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Few's handling of MD perplexed me all year. That nonsense abt needing to get used to the system and into game shape is just that..players play....His no-show vs Indiana has never been explained. Hence, any expectation for next yr assumes he will play significant minutes......

CDC84
04-01-2007, 01:17 PM
In order for Micah to significantly increase his figures as a scorer, he needs to put on a lot more bulk. He has great athleticism when attacking the rim, but he lacks the muscle to finish off the shots. Until he gets more meat on his bones, he's going to be a one dimensional scorer. Teams will begin to take away his 3 point shot and dare him to put it on the floor and finish in traffic....knowing that he is too physically frail to finish those shots. He also needs to build that bulk for defense....he needs to recover from screens better.

roxdoc
04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Not to get too far off the subject but I really sincerely hope that JH is not our first offensive option next year! That will mean that we are going back to our early season style instead of the late season plan that seemed to work well. Let Josh get into the style where every player is the go to guy. JH has not shown the consistency to be option 1, particularly with the type of talent we will now have. He might yet earn it, but earn is the operative word.

For MD, I vote for 14 and 6, assuming JH can place himself near the basket during most offensive sets. If not MD's boards could be higher.

Zagdog71
04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
With all the talent for 07-08, I hope that Coach Few develops a deep bench rotation strategy instead of counting on just a select number of designated first stringers. It seems that it takes 1-2 years for someone to "learn" the GU system and then be trusted. I'd like to see more rotation and for us to be able to bring in various players and let them be trusted to make plays and shoot. The circumstances of this past season made Few start to ease up a bit and I hope that will continue.

ZagNut08
04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I am curious to see how Few uses Josh within the offense. Last year he was forced to play him inside since we didn't have much else in the paint. However, all year I felt Josh wasn't being utilized in the best way. With Sacre and Theo more post orriented next year (and kuso of course), I would like to see Josh outside more. I think that is where we will se the mismatches...put someone smaller on him so they can keep up with him on the perimeter, then josh goes inside and posts him up. But a big banger on him, josh takes him outside and shoots over him.

RebornZag
04-02-2007, 08:58 AM
13.5 ppg and 5.7 rebounds per game. These are good stats on THIS team. Few has a lot of cards in his hand to play. I agree with the theory that next years team does not have one big scorer. I am hoping that we have a team much like Florida, where the top scorer will be different every game, and our team will be a team that takes advantage of what the other team gives us. We didn't have that this year. This year's team was totally unpredictable. We will be way more mature this year.

Zag79
04-07-2007, 01:43 AM
put kuso (or another big) in the paint and let JH play all over. he isnt a back to the basket big regardless if few forces him to be. i think MD will avg around 16 a game, but if got enough touches he could push that even more.

DrDrivel
04-07-2007, 03:10 AM
The lengths Bob will go to in order to drum up page-hits...

brasszag
04-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Keeping discussion alive in the off-season is bad?

Huh.

DrDrivel
04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Should I have added a little playful emoticon so my point is understood by all? I'm not sure I understand how that one could have gone awry, but I wasn't criticizing anything.

brasszag
04-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I really ought to know better than to post before I have my coffee...

gamagin
04-07-2007, 01:30 PM
<< put kuso (or another big) in the paint and let JH play all over. he isnt a back to the basket big regardless if few forces him to be. i think MD will avg around 16 a game, but if got enough touches he could push that even more.>>

If I were few I'd nail one shoe (his choice) about 3-5 feet away from the basket and make JH stay underneath where he could likely turn & shoot about 98 % accurately, then if he happened to miss, he could rebound.

You know that's when the ball doesn't go in and JH is halfway down to the other end.

I think this teams desparately needs those second and third and maybe even fourth putbacks. Kuso sometimes needs about eight. But so what, he's in there battling and good things will come to those who keep shooting from two inches instead of 20 yards.

Having the bigs where they belong makes everyone's game better.

think Fla. for starters, and definitely as a great example, then possibly for enders.

they broke OSU's back as much with their dogged under the basket, take-no-prisoners, don't-stop-til-the-ball-drops, putback ACTIVITIES as anything else. to wit: even the few bad shots were converted.

And seeing the biggest guy (OURS) camped at the top of the key and someone like pargo or pendo trying to cover JH's big body, shoulders and arms with their lesser (albeit MORE willing) bodies, shoulders and arms, a thousand thoughts race through my short-circuiting, addled pate.

None of them nice.

Nevtelen
04-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Josh should be down low sometimes - he has the potential to be an outstanding rebounder, much stronger than he has generally been, and needs to crash the boards to capitalize on that. However, with a strong 5 on the floor, why not let Josh take advantage of his range and draw opposing bigs away from the basket as well as have him score on those 3-pointers he shoots so well? Last year we really needed him down low. This year, we won't _as much_ (at least I hope so). My guess he plays more 4 and has the chance to be more on the perimiter.

gamagin
04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
<<This year, we won't _as much_ (at least I hope so). My guess he plays more 4 and has the chance to be more on the perimiter. >>

I don't knw if you remember, but i recall the bigs we played mostly did not follow him out above the key. they stayed where they belong. I think, also, that too much is assumed that Josh is somehow a better shooter than others we could put where he wants to be.

Frankly, I'd rather see JP, Pendo, JB, Micah and who knows who else will emerge, atop the key. Conversely, none of them could play underneath as effectively, if that was where they were supposed to be. Or I'd say, go ahead and switch.

All that said, this is all about virtual coaching. One can be much more certain when one's job isn't on the line.

But from my seat, there were way too many shots (by Josh and others, even Mallon who is also a pretty good shooter) that didn't go in and there wasn't anyone, or there were too few, rebounders, underneath to make what I consider to be the easiest shot in the game -- a dunk or close to it.

best regards,