PDA

View Full Version : Patterson Baseball Complex

BobZag
05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
I see Saturday's game set a WCC attendance record. Each time I've been there I come away impressed by just how top-notch this facility is. I was told yesterday by Joel Morgan that there are 1350 seats with back, and a total capacity of 3000 with the picnic-style seating on the berms. To be honest, I think 2500 is closer to reality, but Joel knows more than I do about these things.

Anyway, yesterday I was in a restaurant yesterday and FSN was televising the USC-Cal baseball game. It was being played at Cal. And I could not believe how much nicer in every regard Patterson was than Cal's facility. It isn't close. Patterson's field, seating, press box, the whole thing, is miles better than what Cal plays in.

For those of you who have been to Patterson on Gonzaga's campus AND been to other Pac-10 baseball facilities, how does Patterson compare?

HillBillyZag
05-24-2009, 12:51 PM
BZ, HBZ sat next to an assistant coach from one of the teams we may face in the Super Regional. He stated that the Patterson Baseball Complex is one of the finest Collegiate Baseball playing venues in the Nation. Period.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-24-2009, 03:56 PM
I've seen games at Cal's "Evans Diamond," Stanford's "Sunken Diamond," and Patterson, and Patterson is as good as any of the three. Each stadium has a different feel because of what surrounds the stadium, but each is a great place to watch a game. Cal has a neat feature where they hang giant pictures of some of the Cal players hanging on the backside of the building that's directly behind the right field wall, Sunken Diamond is surrounded by large oak trees, and we all know about the great location of Patterson and the GU campus. The only thing that Sunken Diamond and Evans Diamond have that Patterson doesn't is history, but 2009 Zags are definitely doing something about that.

EDIT: There's a real neat view of Patterson from the third floor of the law library and the third floor classrooms. If you haven't seen the field from that angle, it's certainly worth checking out the next time you're on campus.

CDC84
05-24-2009, 09:28 PM
I have been to many professional sports stadiums and arenas that do not feature concessions as good as what K2 has. Those slow roasted turkey and roast beef sandwiches are first class.

Angelo Roncalli
05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Another great thing about the concessions at McCarthey: for the most part, the stands are staffed by volunteers from local youth athletics and other youth groups. The money they generate is plowed back into very worthwhile activities in the community.