PDA

View Full Version : Ucla/florida

ZaggyStardust
03-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Gawd - Could UCLA make basketball look more UGLY????? I know defense wins championships, but their defense makes everyone look terrible including themselves. I really hate their style of play. Makes Bennettball (Dick) look exciting.

I was rooting for them - West Coast, Pac Ten and all, but now I hope they get their butts kicked so Howland can rethink his style of play.

ZagDaddy
03-31-2007, 05:47 PM
His style of play is keeping him in the game with their top scorer on the bench for most of the half and 2 other key guys also in foul trouble. They are shooting a wretched percentage but still in the game. Why? Defense.

BobZag
03-31-2007, 05:47 PM
lol, it is butt-ugly, but Florida is a better team so Ucla has to muck it up to have a chance.

I sure like Ohio State. They haven't been here since 1962 so I'm for them.

ZaggyStardust
03-31-2007, 05:54 PM
His style of play is keeping him in the game with their top scorer on the bench for most of the half and 2 other key guys also in foul trouble. They are shooting a wretched percentage but still in the game. Why? Defense.

Yes it is..... but they play that way regardless. (ask Kansas) I realize that their style will probably lead to better results overall but I hope we never adopt that style of play. I like Basketball because it's fast and exciting. This is like football on the hardwood.

ZagDaddy
03-31-2007, 06:06 PM
I agree that UCLA tilts maybe too far towards defense but this is an example of why playing good D is crucial in tourney games. Even though UCLA should have been on the ropes in the first half they never looked rattled. I surmise it's because they have confidence that they can get stops. Like Bob pointed out in another thread we need balanced effort on both ends of the floor.

Sorry, I don't mean to rekindle all the earlier discussion on this subject. Back to the game...

roxdoc
03-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi octane offense for excitement (I guess why people like pro ball) but defense for winning the big ones. All final four teams have impressive defense. Even with all of our wonderful recruits I have a funny feeling in my stomach when I compare what I think we will be like next year with these guys. I'm not giving up by anymeans but Yikes!!

ZaggyStardust
03-31-2007, 06:16 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head, ZagDaddy - it's called BALANCE! If UCLA could hit the broad side of a barn tonight COUPLED with their defense, things would look much better. Too much defense in the first half got them in foul trouble - now they look to be screwed.... No TO's left either. Oh well.

RebornZag
03-31-2007, 07:32 PM
I agree with you whole heartedly, ZaggyStardust. UGLY basketball. I am SO glad we (Gonzaga) haven't got Holland for a coach. He's all defense. No offense. I like Florida. I like Billy Donavan. He's a great coach. He knows the game of basketball. He was also one of my favorite players when he played. He understands that basketball is a game of excitement. Holland, for some reason, doesn't understand the word excitement at all. Well, I suppose rugby is exciting to him. His style of basketball really reminds me of rugby. I didn't injoy any of ucla's games this year, accept the one's they lost. Did you see their 3 pt shooting? And i'm going to tell you the way I see it. I'm glad that for once they got called for fouling, because they are the MOST fouling team in basketball. Usually, refs won't call the bodying up they do. BUT it is illegal. Holland is one of the coaches I would not have enjoyed playing for. The other is Bob Knight. BORING..........

CDC84
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
As I keep saying folks, national championships in college basketball are won with great offense and good defense. NOT great defense combined with good or mediocre offense. You must have the offense. The Gators offense is so lethal that nobody is going to keep them from scoring. NO ONE. If you want to beat them, you had better have the offensive weapons across the roster to keep up. Playing great defense isn't enough. UCLA didn't have the offensive weapons last year, and they surely didn't have them this year. The Gators didn't necessarily play incredible defense in this game. They held the Bruins to 39.1% shooting, which really isn't stunning if you consider that Afflalo only played 22 minutes and that UCLA hardly has a breathtaking offense. They did have 6 blocks.

Two interesting stats....Florida turned the ball over 16 times in this game compared to just 3 turnovers for UCLA.

And proving once again that free throw shooting percentage is often the most overrated team stat in basketball, the Gators only shot 61% from the stripe in this game compared to UCLA's 85%. But the Gators went to the line 18 more times than UCLA in this game. If you get to the line that much more than your opponent, you can be God awful shooting free throws and get away with it. There have been many national champions - the UConn team with Okafor and Gordon being one - that have been bad free throw shooting teams. Didn't matter...the Huskies got to the line so many more times than their opponents that their bad team FT shooting percentage didn't matter.