PDA

View Full Version : "I don't do the job thing . . . I already have one."

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2007, 08:51 AM
MORE THAN A FEW HANDSHAKES: Mark Few remembers the days when he could breeze through the hotel lobby during the National Association of Basketball Coaches' convention without having to break stride.

Eight years into his tenure at Gonzaga, those days are over.

Friday afternoon, it took Few more than 30 minutes to make it the 100 feet through the lobby to the taxis waiting out front of the downtown Atlanta Hilton, home of this year's convention.

"I try to avoid it if I can," Few said of the foray through the mass of coaches who crowd the lobby during Final Four weekend.

Few wore a blue and green polo with nary a Gonzaga logo on it in hopes of getting through unseen, but he admits it's hard to stay anonymous when you regularly lead your team to the NCAA tournament.

Besides, he's thankful for the networking opportunities the convention provided earlier in his coaching career. He stopped to chat with old friends and take handshakes from young assistants hoping to make an impression.

"It's a great way to get to know the other coaches, make contacts and hear what's going on," he said.

Few knew better, however, than to come to the convention with a vacancy on his staff. That's why he acted quickly to replace assistant Bill Grier, who left on Monday to become the head coach at San Diego.

"I didn't want to have 300 guys coming up to me," he said with a laugh.

And as for the annual rumor mill that fires up at every convention, Few didn't want to talk about it.

"I don't do the job thing," he said. "I already have one."

http://www.theolympian.com/103/story/74423.html

wazZag
03-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Nice find Angelo, good read.

Bocco
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Same AP article was in the Spokaesman-Review this morning. The quaote about "I don't do the job thing, I already have one" also cought my eye. Here's hoping that Mark Few feels that way for a long time.

A few years ago - when Monson left for Minnesota - I was bemoaning the fact that just when Gonzaga finally has some sucess we loose our coach, to a rabid Husky supporter who was to the coaching staff at UDub. He told me that he said the same thing to one of the Husky coaches who told him that it wasn't Monson that Gonzaga had to worry about losing it was Mark Few. I think the last eight years have proven out that statement.

ZagAddict
03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
I absolutely think that GU and Few are perfect for eachother. It's one of those rare matches in sports that I believe will last as long as Few wants to continue coaching. It has been apparent to me that Few doesn't not particularily like the spot light of cameras, reports, fans, etc. At Gozaga Few is able to run a successful program that can compete and recruit at an elite level without having to worry about the spotlights that come with larger school head coaching positions (i.e. Kentucky, Oregon, UCLA, etc.). Few doesn't go looking for media attention, and is comfortable with other coaches in the area getting the majority of the attention (i.e. Bennett and Romar). Few is able to go quietly about his business with few distractions or scrutiny.

When I see articles, interviews, or reports like this it just confirms my belief that Few is content with staying at Gonzaga and has a vision to get this program to Final 4 status in the future...

RebornZag
03-31-2007, 02:32 PM
It's been a number of years now since I read "Braveheart." The strongest memory I have of the book is how these 3 young guys sat down and created a plan of how to reach the Final 4, and they brought this plan to Gonzaga. Only one of those 3 guys is still at Gonzaga, and for that reason I believe he may have contributed the most to the plan. I don't see Mark Few leaving GU ever, and certainly until he has realized his dream of getting to the Final Four and a National Championship. Few has proven his loyalty to his players, and it's a strength of his. I think it is this characteristic that keeps him at GU. He has already committed to four young incoming Freshman, and I think he will keep his committment. We are very lucky to have a man like Mark Few, in my humble opinion.

ZAGduck
03-31-2007, 03:03 PM
"That's why he acted quickly to replace assistant Bill Grier"

What did I miss? I assumed the coaching staff would all move up one chair but I haven't seen this officially. What happened?

Club Prez
03-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Mr Duck -

Please go to this link and read.

http://216.229.189.28/showthread.php?t=1941

ZAGduck
04-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Mr Duck -

Please go to this link and read.

http://216.229.189.28/showthread.php?t=1941

Mr. Prez -

Thanks for the link. I had been following the speculation, but still have not seen a confirmation.

Thomas_Sutpen
04-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Mr. Prez -

Thanks for the link. I had been following the speculation, but still have not seen a confirmation.

Try this: :link: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=9271

-------