PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gray: AP POY

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Steven Gray was named Associated Press player of the year in Washington. Courtney Vandersloot was named to the 4A first team all-state.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2003644484_prepnotes31.html

MDABE80
03-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Excellent!!! And look at DeAngelo Casto as a 1st team 4A kid. I hope he develops into a monster next year. He'll get some long looks. Meanwhile though, Gray is a real coup for the program. It'll be fun watching him develop.

BobZag
03-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Almost a sweep of votes with Gray receiving all but 3 votes. Congrats to Steven. Kudos to Casto.

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2007, 09:11 AM
From the Kitsap Sun:

http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/sp_preps/article/0,2666,BSUN_23496_5455914,00.html

Nevtelen
03-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Another possible GU player on there, too - Avery Bradley named in the 4A honors as well. Not too shabby for a sophmore.

And, at the bottom, it looks like Gray got an "outstanding ambassador" award. It's not very clear about it or even what for or what it is exactly, but it sounds nice. I'm sure he'll be a great kid.

I happened to watch the two state final games (on on-demand here in the Seattle area) that weren't the state championship last night (I'm really jonesing for some bball already... how am I going to make it through the off-season?) and Gray really surprised me. He was known as a prolific scorer, but he was very passive in the games and didn't seem to score a lot. He never tried to just take the game over, even when his team with down by 8 to Bellevue. His shot was really off both games - even when he scored around 20 pts, it was not a particularly impressive 20. I don't remember him hitting 1 outside shot (though he had a monster dunk in the opening possession against North Central). I've heard so much about his great outside shot, but he seemed content to let his teammates fill it up from outside.

When he did make his moves, though, he certainly looked like he was a man playing among boys - he is really really smooth and sure of himself. I was a little surprised at his overall game. Also, his passing was _great_. Wow. Maybe not quite as good as Bouldin, but really good. With teammates like he'll have at GU, he's going to be dangerous.

ZagAddict
03-31-2007, 10:44 AM
I have no doubt Gray will be a terrific Zag for many years. Few and Co. did a great job to land him. With the amount of talent we have returning next year at his position (i.e. Bouldin, Larry G., Ira Brown, PMAC) I wonder if a redshirt year will be considered. It has nothing to do with his talent, but I just don't see many minutes coming his way next year. Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I think he could be a player that benefits from a redshirt year ala Mallon.

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2007, 10:52 AM
I strongly doubt that Gray or any other recruit in the foreseeable future will redshirt, unless it's because of an injury situation.

RebornZag
03-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Is Steven Gray the first Washington State Player of the Year that has gone to Gonzaga?

fedwayzag
03-31-2007, 03:01 PM
I think Errol Knight was a Washington Player of the yr.

Gonezagaga
03-31-2007, 03:08 PM
As was David Pendergraft.

Nevtelen
03-31-2007, 04:08 PM
The only recruit I could possibly see redshirting would be Poling in two years - really depends on his strength situation. If he hasn't significantly bulked up by the time he arrives, he would really need a year to do so before he suits up.