PDA

View Full Version : OT -- ZAGS WIN in 9th

GoZags
05-16-2009, 03:24 PM
EDIT FOR TONIGHTS GAME -- ZAGS WIN 4-3 WITH TWO IN THE BOTTOM OF THE 9TH

Dramatic 5-4 win clinches first ever WCC regular season title. Zags will also host the best of three Championship series for a berth in the NCAA's.

Thanks to GU for arranging the television (via the net)

BobZag
05-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Zags win! Zags wn! Zags win! Laaaaaaaaaaaa!

Big hit by Sturdivant.

Congrats to Mark Machtoff and the guys.

ZagAddict
05-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Congrats to the Zag baseball team on their 1st WCC Regular Season Championship. Getting to host the WCC Championship Tournament is exciting. It's going to be a great series next weekend...

It is great to see another Gonzaga athletic program growing and having success. GO ZAGS!

GoZags
05-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Congrats to the Zag baseball team on their 1st WCC Regular Season Championship. Getting to host the WCC Championship Tournament is exciting. It's going to be a great series next weekend...

It is great to see another Gonzaga athletic program growing and having success. GO ZAGS!

There are those in our conference that enjoy referring to GU's athletic prowess in terms of being a "One Trick Pony".

Men's hoops -- dominate
Women's hoops -- dominate
Rowing -- dominate
Baseball -- just won first ever WCC regular season title -- the new facility is awesome

kitzbuel
05-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Congrats to GU's 'Boys of Summer'.

Now we just need a track and field facility.

gu03alum
05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I took my family to the game today. What a great day to watch a baseball game. Now that the weather is getting nicer I wish the season was a little longer.

Congratulations gonzaga.

Zagineer
05-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Congrats to GU's 'Boys of Summer'.

Now we just need a track and field facility.

Agreed..... And golf. :)

BobZag
05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Tonight at 6:30pm and Saturday at 3pm. Only $5 or $3 a ticket. A real nice way to spend some family time. Sunday at noon if a Game Three is needed. I will likely be there Sunday if it goes that far. I have a feeling it will. LMU is a very good team with good pitching, good fielding and good hitting. And the Lions will be out for revenge after the Zags won 2 out of 3 just last weekend.

The winner gets an auto bid to NCAAs and the loser will hope like crazy for an at-large berth.

This new facility is really, really nice, if you have not been there yet. I find it to be a very enjoyable experience.

Go Zags!

kitzbuel
05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Any idea if there will be internet radio coverage? Don't see anything on KGA's site.

BobZag
05-22-2009, 10:21 AM
There is live streaming - TV.

Zag 77
05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
gozags.com says it is on 1510 AM. You should be able to pick it up in most of the NW and parts of Canada. Just go out to a hiltop and point your car in different directions until it comes in. 6 pack is also nice. This can also be made into a cheap date.

Birddog
05-22-2009, 04:05 PM
There is live streaming - TV.
Where? JustinTV?

BobZag
05-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Glad you asked...

A video streaming link will be provided on the calendar on the Gonzaga University athletic home page and on the baseball schedule/results page.

All remaining home games can also be heard on 1510 AM with Tom Hudson and former Gonzaga head coach Steve Hertz calling the action.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/gonz-m-basebl-sched.html

Rangerzag
05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Glad to see we beat Wazzu.

Where is Diamond National???

kitzbuel
05-22-2009, 08:01 PM
2 out homer by Mark Castellitto in the bottom of the 8th ties it at 2! Zags still hanging!

GoZags
05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Zags Rally, Win In The 9th -- 4-3. What A Game. Now Have 1-0 Lead In The Best Of Three.

kitzbuel
05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Great rallies in the 8th and 9th.

GoZags
05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Great rallies in the 8th and 9th.

Did you watch (and listen) to Hudson and Hertzie call the action?

kitzbuel
05-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Pretty tinny, but yes. They need to get a work study to at least move the camera (and maybe turn the mike off between innings!)

ZagNative
05-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Here's the game story (http://wccsports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052309aab.html) from the WCC site.
SPOKANE, Wash. - Ryan Wiegand's bases loaded RBI infield single in the ninth inning brought home Ernesto Ortiz to cap the Zags comeback and post a 4-3 victory over Loyola Marymount University in game one of the West Coast Conference Championship Series Friday night. A WCC Championship Series record crowd of 1,216 was on hand to watch the Bulldogs (34-16) take a 1-0 series lead over the Lions (30-28) with the two-run rally in the final frame. And here's Jim Meehan's story (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/may/22/gu-baseball-rallies-4-3-win/).

It looks like a beautiful day for a baseball game, so we're heading over to watch today at 3:00.

Go Zags!

BobZag
05-23-2009, 08:30 AM
These are the Cardiac Zags. If the fellas don't get 'er done today, I'll be there Sunday. I hope there is no Sunday game, though.

Watch it live and for free here--

Just click on "watch" over in the right hand column under "GameTracker.".

GoZags
05-23-2009, 09:24 AM
These are the Cardiac Zags. If the fellas don't get 'er done today, I'll be there Sunday. I hope there is no Sunday game, though.

Watch it live and for free here--

Just click on "watch" over in the right hand column under "GameTracker.".

Meech going coast to coast for the win against WKU (and a trip to the Sweet 16) started this streak of a handful of "cardiac" victories for Gonzaga.

I've always said I prefer a little less drama in GU wins -- but I'll take a 1 point/1 run gut wrenching "W" anytime, anywhere, and against anyone.

Good luck to the Zags -- get another win however you can -- BZ, GZ, and others will be watching (and listening to Hudson and Hertzie).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLq1H--LbA

Birddog
05-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Help, I can't get the video on the Gozags site or the audio on KGA,whassup? The game should be underway, right? 3pm PDT?

ZagNative
05-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Listening on the portable radio 1510 AM. We were at the game until a few minutes ago. Beautiful day, but hot in the sun!

1376 fans there today.

Edited to add: Next up, Zags will be a bat, top of the seventh, still with an 8-0 lead.

Rangerzag
05-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Help, I can't get the video on the Gozags site or the audio on KGA,whassup? The game should be underway, right? 3pm PDT?

BD, did you get up and runnin'??

ZagNative
05-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Weigand just hit his second home run, across Trent Avenue. Now 9-0 Zags.

BobZag
05-23-2009, 03:56 PM

It's working.

9-zip Zags. Weig crushes one onto Trent Ave.

Birddog
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
OK, I've got it now. I was inadvertently clicking on the view now for tomorrow's game and getting the error message that the game was not now in progress. I guess I should have checked the date. Duh.

Rangerzag
05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Strange for the Zags to be at home and hit in the top of innings.

ZagNative
05-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Weigand with his 3rd HR! Score 13-0!

Rangerzag
05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Grand Salami !!!

BobZag
05-23-2009, 04:16 PM
This is getting ugly...er...pretty...depending on your point of view.

13-Zip.

Rangerzag
05-23-2009, 04:18 PM
New LMU pitcher with Zags on second and third.

Real butt kickin'

ZagNative
05-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Final score: 14-3.

lothar98zag
05-23-2009, 05:21 PM
CONGRATS!!

GU baseball = WCC Champs

:clap: :allhail: :clap:

kyle dixon
05-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Congrats to the GU Baseball team!

When I was at Gonzaga, alot of people disliked the baseball players/team. Including myself. Things changed in 1995 after the GU mens team won the WCC basketball championship, as Steve Hertz lead the entire baseball team up to the Crosby Center to lead the cheers from their baseball practice. I thought this was one of the most loyal displays of school spirit I have ever seen.

Needless to say, Mac is one helluva coach and this team is going places this year. Win a couple games next week, get to the super regionals and who knows what happens----

ZagNative
05-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Does anyone have a clue about when it will be announced where and when they'll be playing their first game in the regionals?

GoZags
05-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I believe the Selection Show is Monday evening. Hertzie mentioned on the air that there's a chance (albeit outside chance) that GU may host an opening round game.

Congrats to the Zags.

The baseball team went to the NCAAs a couple of times during my 4 years at Gonzaga. Those days watching baseball at Pecarovich created a lifetime of memories. My roommate Jr and Sr year was a baseball player -- and he got a start down in Tempe in the NCAA tourney -- gave up one earned run (a home run to future Hall of Famer Paul Molitor) in a narrow loss to the Golden Gophers of Minnesota.

TerpZag
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
From the College Baseball Blog:

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga University punched its ticket to the NCAA Tournament and clinched its first ever West Coast Conference Title with a 14-3 WCC Championship Series clinching victory over Loyola Marymount University Saturday afternoon. The Zags will be making their fifth trip to the NCAA Tournament and the first since 1981. That year was also the last time a Gonzaga team won a conference title (Nor-Pac Conference).

Ryan Wiegand had a record-breaking performance for the Bulldogs (35-16), launching a WCC Championship Series record three home runs and driving in eight runs to tie the record for most RBI in a WCC Championship Series game. His nine total RBI in the two-game series also set a new record for RBI in a WCC Championship series. Wiegand finished the game 3-for-5 with four runs scored including his third grand slam of the season, tying the school-record for grand slams hit in a season.

Amidst Wiegand’s offensive show was the dominating performance turned in by Bulldogs starting pitcher Steven Ames who fired his team-leading third complete-game of the season to improve his record to 8-1. He held the potent LMU (30-29) offense in check throughout the afternoon, allowing just four hits through eight scoreless innings before surrendering three runs in the ninth, only one of which was earned. He finished with five strikeouts, scattered seven hits and walked two to give the Zags their 35th of the season, the most wins by a Gonzaga team since 1990 (37 wins)...

...Gonzaga will now have to wait until the NCAA announces the NCAA Tournament’s 16 Regional sites on Sunday night and the field of 64 on Monday’s 9:30 a.m. “Road to Omaha Selection Show” on ESPN and ESPN2.

http://thecollegebaseballblog.com/2009/05/23/gonzaga-wins-wcc-title-with-14-3-victory-over-lmu/

HillBillyZag
05-24-2009, 10:46 AM
And as frugal (tight) as I am I purchased the last XXL G.U. Championship tee at the WCC booth and will were it as proudly as I do my basketball gear. Lets win the super-regional and "ON to Omaha!"

ZagNative
05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
The 16 Regional Host sites have been announced, per Yahoo (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/news;_ylt=AiKe_Plb8Au8NFk1imI7GEMMwLYF?slug=ys-bbcreghosts2009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).

A Rivals story (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/news;_ylt=AmXMhWuexEsAVYH5JMALn4YMwLYF?slug=kr-regionalprojections052309) projects the Zags going to the UC Irvine site.
1. UC Irvine* (5)
4. Utah*
2. Alabama
3. Gonzaga*

lothar98zag
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
The 16 Regional Host sites have been announced, per Yahoo (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/news;_ylt=AiKe_Plb8Au8NFk1imI7GEMMwLYF?slug=ys-bbcreghosts2009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).

A Rivals story (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/news;_ylt=AmXMhWuexEsAVYH5JMALn4YMwLYF?slug=kr-regionalprojections052309) projects the Zags going to the UC Irvine site.
1. UC Irvine* (5)
4. Utah*
2. Alabama
3. Gonzaga*
As long as they get sent to 1 of the 3 west coast sites, I'll be happy.

ZagManFan
05-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Congrats boys!!!! Job well done.

I would like to point out that the Zags are now ranked 19th in the latest polls. Take it to em on Friday.

lothar98zag
05-26-2009, 11:01 AM
fwiw, a baseball 2009 forum has been created.

here's the link - http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

(I'll leave this thread/post here for a while so others can see the link)