PDA

View Full Version : New Majors

Birddog
05-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Here is a link to a GU Newsletter.
http://www.gonzaga.edu/News-and-Events/newsdetail.asp?EventID=4682&

Why does this bother me
Jonathan Isacoff, associate professor of political science, directs the environmental studies concentration and will lead the new environmental studies major and minor.

I don't know anything about Isacoff, but the fact that he comes from the Poli Sci area is causing me concern. I would feel a lot better if his background and area of expertise was grounded in science. Frankly, I would feel better about the appointment if his background was business, but I also know there would be no end of the caterwauling if that were the case. Perhaps the Poli Sci area is the happy medium between Business and science in this field of study, but the politicization of Environmentalism is disturbing to me.

Zag 77
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Bird, when I was at GU as a history major, we used to joke that Poli Sci was a "pseudo science." We history geeks had to learn how to write, study original sources, do critical thinking and write a scholarly thesis.

Poli Sci types merely had to read the paper and be able to bull#### effectively with the teacher about current events.

I will say the Poli Sci majors and profs were better party animals.:lmao:

kitzbuel
05-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Here is a link to a GU Newsletter.
http://www.gonzaga.edu/News-and-Events/newsdetail.asp?EventID=4682&

Why does this bother me

I don't know anything about Isacoff, but the fact that he comes from the Poli Sci area is causing me concern. I would feel a lot better if his background and area of expertise was grounded in science. Frankly, I would feel better about the appointment if his background was business, but I also know there would be no end of the caterwauling if that were the case. Perhaps the Poli Sci area is the happy medium between Business and science in this field of study, but the politicization of Environmentalism is disturbing to me.
I agree that I would like to see it as a BS in the engineering school. Those are the type of grads that my company needs for our environmental and resource management work. Lots of GIS, geography, engineering and and tech related stuff that is where the real metal bending occurs, not so much the policy and politics.

229SintoZag
05-20-2009, 12:14 PM
ever since they started allowing anything other than a bachelors degree in classics.

Don't even get me started on "women's studies."