PDA

View Full Version : Noreen and Solomon updates

BobZag
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
From Scout--

For Boston College fans, Kevin Noreen is a name out of the blue. For fans of prep basketball in Minnesota, he is a guy everyone knows is going to be an impact player at a high major. College recruiters started to take notice and the offers have followed.

His AAU coach knows a thing or two about evaluating talent as he has been a highly successful coach in the state of Minnesota for years. He coached Khalid Al-Amin and won several state title at the high school ranks.

“BC wants him and they want him bad. The coaches called me and were asking me what it will take to get him. They want him and they want him to commit as soon as possible. I couldn't believe it. The kid does everything well. He shoots well, posts up, rebounds, put backs. You name it.

He is a great kid and great student. He does everything well. He is a great kid, the kind of kid everyone should want.”

As far as Kevin's game, Coach Robertson said, “He comes to work every day. He brings his lunch pail and gets the job done. He's not going to try and dunk on anybody or make a big show of it. He's not a guy to talk a lot on the court. He just does whatever it takes to win.”

Coach Robertson continued, “ Coach Skinner compared him to Jared Dudley, a guy who just out works everyone. That's Kevin. You put a little guy on him and he will post him up. Leave him alone and he will hit a three. Put a big guy on him and he will go around him.

---------------------------------------------------

“Arizona State has been sending me letters for a few months,” said the 6-9 200 Richard Solomon. “They called me for the first time two weeks ago. I was at their camp two years ago, and I remember liking the campus and the coaching staff. It’s a really good program.”

The center listed UCLA, Oregon State, Stanford, California, USC, Washington State, Texas, Boston College, Michigan, and Minnesota as some of the high major programs that are recruiting him in earnest these days aside from Arizona State.

“Recruiting is a little crazy, but I’m ecstatic about all these schools calling me,” Solomon acknowledged. “I’ve waited for this a long time and now that that it’s here it’s special.”

Boston College and Oregon State are the two schools that Solomon has listed having scholarship offers from.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Hmmm... No mention of the Zags from Solomon. Oh well.

BobZag
05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Hmmm... No mention of the Zags from Solomon. Oh well.

I think he's a goner. And I'm not sure just how hard GU is recruiting Noreen. I was under the impression earlier that GU dropped him, but I guess not.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-11-2009, 11:20 AM
With Rob and Andy redshirting last year, and with Sam, Elias, and Kelly coming in next year (although Elias is a slightly undersized 4 and Kelly needs to add some bulk), it seems like grabbing a PF or C wouldn't be a huge priority for GU's 2010 recruiting class. That is, if the staff finds a big man they like, great; if they don't, it's no big deal. With that being said, Noreen's recruitment doesn't seem to make much sense. It seems like Few would/should have the mindset of going after big time PF/C center recruits, knowing that it's okay if he strikes out because that we alredy have capable big men. Then again, maybe Few really likes Noreen and the recruiting websites are wrong...

spudzag
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
After the mondo 09 class and two players coming off RS there really is less that typical pressure to get commitments right away.

Hopefully Few will target a two very high level players. He really does have the flexibility being able to select the best player available and not having to fill specific positions. I would hope for balance in filling the two spots. I'd love to see a nice beefy big be fill one of the spots.

SLOZag
05-15-2009, 10:55 PM
From the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune:

"Minnesota Transitions Charter School forward Kevin Noreen can share fun stories from the college basketball recruiting trail. He received pointers from NBA legend John Stockton on his unofficial visit to Gonzaga. And he shattered a backboard on his unofficial visit to Boston College. Noreen, a 6-9 1/2 junior who is poised to set the boys' state record for career points next season, has received scholarship offers from both of those schools. He plans to attend camps this summer and potentially land offers from Marquette, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

""Since eighth grade my goal was to get a Division I scholarship," he said.

"A varsity player since seventh grade, Noreen averaged 32.8 points per game as a junior last season, bringing his career total to 2,881 points. Cody Schilling of Ellsworth graduated in 2008 with the record of 3,428 points. Noreen could pass him mid-season and even might challenge the 4,000-point plateau.

""I just want to win," said Noreen, who lost to Schilling and Ellsworth in the 2008 Class 1A championship game. "Scoring is my role on the team but I want to be a team player."

"He also has made unofficial visits to Butler, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Northern Illinois, Wisconsin and Wisconsin-Green Bay. Noreen plans to narrow his list to five schools in June and decide in July.

"Jerry Noreen, Kevin's father, said the Gophers "are keeping tabs on him, but right now they don't see him as their style of player.""

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/45054332.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice find, SLOzag! It'll be interesting where Noreen lands.