PDA

View Full Version : Is Gonzaga over recruiting?

snebzag
05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I have to wonder about next year.
Coming back.
Big Will
Rob
AD (?)
SG
Matty
Meech.
Grant
Andy.
Coming In.
Kong(?)
Arop
Sammy
KO
Harris
GJ.
Who gets playing time? Yes redshirts will be for a couple of players, but how do you keep such a group happy if they just sit and watch. Are we bringing in to much talent all at once? With all the hype at guard I haven't heard mention of GG. How does he feel? What is his role. I saw Grant as another Blake Stepp, but now with Meech so improved and Manny coming and Matty still here and forwards that play like 2"s........Just looking for others thoughts on this in the Merry Month of May.

coryb
05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
get better or sit the bench

VaBeachZAG
05-10-2009, 06:54 AM
I don't think there is any such thing as over recruiting. You go out and get the very best players you can that fit your program and then the players compete for playing time. On paper, the Zags certainly seem to be loaded. Every member of the team seems capable of playing D-1 ball at a high level. Presumably, the "best of the best" will start and get a large percentage of playing time. Some of the merely "best" will be willing to accept supporting cast roles and wait for their chance to become a starter some time down the road. But, we need to be prepared for the fact that several of these talented guys may transfer out at some point (i.e., they are damn good D-1 level players and will go somewhere else where they can immediately get a lot of playing time). Transfers are a fact of life and we may see it happen with more than one player over the next several years.

spudzag
05-10-2009, 07:40 AM
I like where you're coming from with this thread snebzag. It is tough for me to watch the kids we were all so high on coming in be recruited over. I'm sure it is gut wrenching for them. But the reality of wanting a better and better team is that this is a fact of life. In reality only 8 or 9 will get much playing time and 4 or 5 good players will have the opportunity in practice to earn that playing time. Kids start loosing playing time when they are 5 or 6, this is just the next step, the competition just keeps getting higher all the time. For many if you don't have an Andy Sorenson attitude it can be a tough. Andy exemplifies knowing his capabilities and enjoying being part of a special organization. Not all the players will be able to do that, but if they can the experience will still b e rewarding for them.

jazzdelmar
05-10-2009, 07:48 AM
there seems to be an air of quiet desperation and disorganization with respect to the 09 recruiting...lotta question marks (harris, kol) still, some out of the blue (GJ) adds, seemingly a glut at certain positions...and no real stars. three 3-stars dont add up to a 5 and a 4, unfortunately. practice may turn out to be an open audition for spots in the rotation. when u have a buncha 5s and 4, that ok......im just not certain who, if any, of these 09ers will shine. all the high school puff means nothing. this may be a reaction to the experience w daye, who knows. i, too, feel for the kids who are being recruited over even before they have played, ie: gibbs, poling. i guess we hafta trust few. but when it comes to 09 newcomers, eight is enough....

cbbfanatic
05-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't see the 09 class as overrecruiting at all... Are any of those kids so sure fire and can't miss that they are nearly guaranteed to displace older, seasoned guys?

You're usually talking about a higher caliber of known quantities coming in when speaking of "overrecruiting"

jazzdelmar
05-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't see the 09 class as overrecruiting at all... Are any of those kids so sure fire and can't miss that they are nearly guaranteed to displace older, seasoned guys?

You're usually talking about a higher caliber of known quantities coming in when speaking of "overrecruiting"

thats what i said: "im just not certain who, if any, of these 09ers will shine. all the high school puff means nothing"

looks like a whole lot of 3s.....

mainer6
05-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't see it as over-recruiting either. I am sure that some of the players will not be there three years from now, and that will be a shame, but for the strength of the program, competition for playing time is great.

roxdoc
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I guess in the sense that we are one scolly over we are over "recruited". The whole playing time issue is a paper tiger. If these recruits were at Duke, UCLA or any other good school things would be just the same. The better you perform the more pt you will get. I believe that most would rather play lesser minutes on a very good team than more minutes on a mediocre team.
Every year we have this same discussion and hand wringing about how everyone on the team won't start. Good grief, that's how the system works!

As far as the level of stars, I think several of our Canadians would be ranked higher if they were on the scouts radar screens. The talent is there, but the challenge for the coaches is to get them playing together with maximum effect. Even with injuries we seem to have the depth that we will not have to have several of our key players playing out of position as has been the case for several years now. I'm looking forward to next year, not totally in the win/loss column, but in just how all of these puzzle pieces are put together.

KennewickZag
05-11-2009, 09:28 AM
The coaches are doing exactly what they should do - fill all 13 scholarships with the best talent they can. Some have suggested that leaving a scholarship open would be a good idea to level out the classes, but I disagree. These things always work themselves out. Players leave early for the draft, transfer, get injured, or don't devlop as expected and are asked to move on.

If we are going to be a truly elite program, we have to act like one. I don't think Coach K, Roy Williams, Calipari, Self, Howland, etc worry too much about their players' feelings getting hurt from lack of PT. These programs have burger boys riding pine.

bballbeachbum
05-11-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm looking forward to next year, not totally in the win/loss column, but in just how all of these puzzle pieces are put together.

me too. I want to win, but the puzzle coming together is as fun to watch, though usually I don't statrt watching until much later

have always gotten away from GU basketball at this time of year, but no longer. This is fun. It's like the period before you got married with your soon to be betrothed...everything is great, expectations high, optimistic on everything. not to say the real deal isn't beautiful (happily married to Mrs. Bballbeachbum ;) ) but it's all about real then, not the pre-marriage stuff :)

But this is darn fun!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

snebzag
05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
This is why I posted this thread. Not because I really believe we are over recruiting, but wanted some discussion in May. It is darn fun. I used to lurk. Now I poke and jab. Next thread. "Can Rob Sacre score outside of two feet?"...........

CarolinaZagFan
05-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Can Greg Oden??? I'm certainly not comparing Sacre to Oden, but I can't remember Oden making many shots other than a dunk... With the passing ability of our guards and scoring ability of our guards and wings, I'd be thrilled with 3 open dunks a game to go with 8-10 rebounds and a few blocks, and I think that's very possible.

OZZag
05-12-2009, 06:06 PM
I agree with CZF, does he really need to score outside of 2' (keep in mind he is working on his hook shot). Rob needs to block shots, control the rebounds and scare the crap out of those guards who will think twice about driving to the rim.

zag67
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree with Oz. If Rob can defensively control the center area and get those 8 to 10 rebounds, then he is playing solid. At the offensive end, he needs to be a threat and be able to kick it out if no shot.