PDA

View Full Version : A Few/Oregon Tidbit that's News to Me

SLOZag
05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Has anyone on the Board ever heard this before?

"After meeting former UO men's basketball coach Don Monson 20 years ago and learning the program could always use more money, [Pat] Kilkenny [the outgoing athletic director for the U. of Oregon, and its second richest donor] sent Monson a check. Over time Kilkenny began donating to Monson's disciples, and this year helped pay the salaries of Gonzaga's Mark Few, Long Beach State's Dan Monson (Don's son) and San Diego's Bill Grier, who was up for the OSU job last year."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2009/05/the_pat_kilkenny_era_at_oregon.html

Can anyone confirm this? It may be just me, but this just seems ... well, wrong ... what with us suspecting Oregon of having about had its fill of Uncle Ernie, and being a likely future participant in the almost-annual Mark Few hiring sweepstakes. ?!?!?

NorthWestZag
05-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Don't got any sources, but I believe it is true. But Kilkenny donates from his own personal wealth and not from UO funds or anything. He started doing it before he became UO AD.

Birddog
05-09-2009, 02:55 AM
You gotta love it.

His favorite movie is the slacker-homage "The Big Lebowski" -- his office nameplate reads "His Dudeness" -- and his favorite quote from it is, "Some new (stuff) has come to light."