PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky rumors

Section 116
03-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Here's some stuff I gleaned from the net regarding the next Kentucky coach:

On SportsCenter this evening, Dick Vitale said he talked to a source close to Florida coach Billy Donovan, and that the source told him that Donovan's attitude toward the possibility of taking over at Kentucky is, "he will listen, but he will not go."

However, Vitale said that doesn't mean Donovan will definitely return to Florida next year. Vitale said he thinks Donovan is a strong candidate to leave for the NBA, adding that the Memphis Grizzlies are "coming after him with a bushel of cash, trying to take him to the NBA, better than maybe 5 mil a year."

But Vitale said he thinks Donovan will turn down the NBA cash and stay with Florida. No matter what happens, this has become the story of the Final Four.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Gillespie keeps his name in the ring, he'd be a top candidate for Kentucky. While the People's Choice, Billy Donovan, remains a clear #1 target for the Wildcats, Villanova's Jay Wright, Texas' Rick Barnes, and Gonzaga's Mark Few, and Gillespie round out the remaining Top 5.
ESPN.com is reporting that Kentucky has prepared its offer to Florida coach Billy Donovan, and it's a big one: A seven-year contract that would exceed his current salary by more than $1 million, guaranteeing him $2.8 million a year and giving him the possibility to earn $3.5 million a year with performance incentives.

Donovan will coach Florida Saturday and, he hopes, Monday, and the report says Kentucky will make its offer early next week. Donovan has five years left on his current deal, at $1.8 million a year, and will almost certainly get a raise from Florida if he decides to stay there, although it's not clear that he'll get a raise as big as the one Kentucky is ready to give him.

It's clear that Donovan is Kentucky's first choice, and although Donovan hasn't given any indication that he wants to leave Florida, he also hasn't said he'll absolutely, positively stay. Even if he did, of course, coaches don't always stay even when they promise they will. Bottom line, Donovan will make a decision next week that will shake up college basketball.

Here's the link:
http://ncaabasketball.aolsportsblog.com/

It seems Few is staying in the rumor gossip mill. It certainly speaks to how highly he is thought of in the coaching world that he is in such high demand. Of course all of us know he has "We need to get this guy" written all over him.

lothar98zag
03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
While driving around for work this morning I heard Rome interview Pitino.

Two things worth sharing, IMHO, are:

1) Pitino says he'll probably coach 5-6 more years and then retire. And his current job is his last.

2) When asked about the Kentucky job & Donovan, he said that if he was a betting man he'd bet that someday in the future Florida will be naming their basketball court after Billy. (in other words he doubts BD will take the UK job)

BobZag
03-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I think Crean and Izzo have to be in the conversation.

TheOtherGreatOne
03-30-2007, 06:03 PM
crean and izzo? you got to be kidding. they play at a slower pace than tubby,and that's why the fans and boosters ran tubby off. kentucky people want a running basketball team. i know,i work in kentucky and hear this over and over every day. it wasn't really about not liking tubby as a man,it was about his slow down style,they want high speed basketball. if the a.d. hires izzo or crean they will be calling for barnhart's head next,and he is smart enough to know this. kentucky fans were spoiled by pitino and love that style of play. if barnhart hires either one of these two it will be turmoil in the bluegrass all over again.

enouhg

nezt

lothar98zag
03-30-2007, 08:35 PM
TheOtherGreatOne - So who will it be then?

Zagpower
03-31-2007, 05:54 AM
For what it's worth, I heard Pitino say a while back that there was absolutely NO WAY that Tubby leaves Kentucky after this season.

Birddog
03-31-2007, 10:51 AM
A couple of us were discussing the Kentucky situation this morning. The question all of us had was, "do you think that a lot of candidates just don't really think it's that great a job given all the baggage that comes with it?" Those rabid fans may have tipped the scales a little too far. Sure, someone will step forward and take it, but I wonder just who the sadist is gonna be.

Around here, there is strong speculation that Floyd will be lured from USC to Arkansas. Of course that speculation is mostly drummed up by the talking head morons on sports radio, and I really wonder just how much they know. I would look for Scott Sutton to go somewhere, maybe USC if Floyd leaves. I don't think he will leave ORU unless it is a forward move. He won't go laterally just for $$$$.

Birddog

CDC84
03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
The fact that they are willing to pay their new head coach 4.5 million - nearly 2 million more than any other college head coach is making - speaks to the job pressure that comes with that job more than anything does.

If a guy is going to get paid 4.5 million, and those rabid fans know it, that coach will not just be expected to win the national title...they'll be expected to win it every year.

Bocco
03-31-2007, 01:57 PM
If Kentucky goes all out for Donavan and he turns them down, which I suspect will happen there is a good chance that we will see a series of coaches ala Alabama football over that last few years.

Short of Rupp rising from the dead no one may be good ehough for the Kentucky fans.

gamagin
03-31-2007, 01:58 PM
might I recommend the only man who has led his team to where KU thinks it belongs . . . John Wooden.

Bocco
03-31-2007, 01:59 PM
might I recommend the only man who has led his team to where KU thinks it belongs . . . John Wooden.

Well John's still around but I doubt if he wants the job.

lothar98zag
03-31-2007, 02:01 PM
fwiw, if offered the KU job, Lothar will at least consider taking it.

TrueLiz
03-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Wait, the KU job is open? Where'd Bill Self go? ;)

TheOtherGreatOne
03-31-2007, 03:57 PM
unless i am terriablly missinformed,billy donovan will be the next kentucky coach. the university is supposed to hold a news conference on wednesday. don't be suprised if he brings either john pelphrey in as an assistant.or travis ford.
if this doesn't happen the big suprise just might be travis ford. his daddy has all the right political connections,and in the state of kentucky the good old boy,buddy connection goes a long way.

lothar98zag
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Wait, the KU job is open? Where'd Bill Self go? ;)

:doh:

the UK - KU thing is something Lothar knows and usually gets right... oh well...

And yes, Lothar would consider the Kansas job also.

sittingon50
03-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Lothar, I'm not too sure your press conference would be widely acclaimed in either community if you constantly referred to yourself in the 3rd person!;)

MDABE80
03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
For that kind of money me, JHoops and Hondo would go to Kentucky. Afterall, we know Mark Few;) Abe

LongIslandZagFan
04-02-2007, 04:15 AM

Problem is that Wooden won't Gilbert around to insure he always got the best players.

MDABE80
04-02-2007, 06:56 AM
LIZ...you must have seen the HBO Special on UCLA Basketball from that era. I had forgotten about Sam Gilbert. Sure tarnished the image of the "dynasty" Wooden had. Bothered me as I reflected on it. Wooden must have known.

I doubt the success UCLA had then could happen now for many reasons. NCAA/ Net/Cable/ reporters looking for trouble....Gilbert would have been discovered immediately I think. What would have UCLA have been without him? Who knows?? One thing that was so positive from the piece though was how Wooden taught.....and not just on the floor. He taught life's lessons. Great coaches do that. Abe