• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Kelly to play in All Canada Classic

Looks like he's going up against Tristan Thompson the #1 recruit in America, and Texas signee. I'm not sure if it'll be televised North of the Border, or online. I sure hope that we can get some footage on this game.

Upon further review it appears that kelly and tristan are on the same squad. That stinks, I'd have loved to see how KO does against TT. Oh, well, it'll still be awesome to see the game, somehow.
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Yeah, I'd like to see this game too.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Kelly is going to have a very interesting summer!

Tomorrow he's slated to be in Ontario, California, for the Academic All-American game, with some interesting teammates:
      WEST ALL-STARS

Name Pos. Hgt. Wgt. High School (Hometown Location) College
      Andrew Bock PG 6-1 165 Eisenhower High School (Rialto, CA) Creighton
      Anthony Stover C 6-10 227 Windward (Los Angeles, CA) UCLA
      Bak Bak PF 6-10 210 Village Christian (Northridge, CA) California
      Brendan Lane PF 6-9 205 Rocklin High School (Rocklin, CA) UCLA
      Jared Cunningham PG 6-3 170 San Leandro High School (San Leandro, CA) Oregon State
      Jordan Finn SF 6-4 165 Etiwanda High School (Etiwanda, CA) Air Force
      Keegan Hornbuckle W 6-7 195 Campbell Hall (North Hollywood, CA) Colorado
      Kelly Olynyk G/F 6-10 208 South Kamloops Secondary (Kamloops, B.C.) Gonzaga
      Reeves Nelson F 6-8 230 Modesto Christian High School (Modesto, CA) UCLA
      Tyler Honeycutt W 6-9 180 Sylmar High School (Sylmar, CA) UCLA

Head Coach: Jamal Adams - Loyola High School
      The All-Canada Classic follows, the weekend of June 5th, and he's said he'll travel to Paris with the Canadian U19 team later in June for some exhibition play, eventually moving on to the U19 world championships canada team in Aukland, NZ, July 2 -12, squeezing in time in advance for pre-touurnament training camp ... Ay-yi-yi!
      Last edited by ZagNative; 05-08-2009, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Kids going to have to redshirt just to rest up from his summer.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

Congrats, Kelly! It'll be interesting to see how he performs along side former Zag prospects like Stover, Honeycutt, and Bak Bak. I look forward to hearing the results.
          What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• MississppiZag
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • May 2008

I remember Bak Bak. My favorite recruit. Mostly because of the name. Bol Kong will have to do.
            "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

Comment

• OZZag
              Kennel Club
              • Aug 2007

Awesome find Spy, sorry ZN, I hadn't read this thread beore posting elsewhere re the All American Academic!

Interesting teams, I can't see East coming close though, West is stronger with Nurse, Arop, Thompson and KO most likely 4 of the starters for the Canada's FIBA U19 team. There will be some great matchups though with Joseph vs Nurse, Bigby vs Arop, Olynyk vs Dugas and Lufile vs Walker the most interesting. Emmerson Murray from B.C. is only in year 11, not 12 as shown. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against the Easts guards, as he has not had the kind of exposure back east like Ty and Kelly have had.
              One last point, with Joseph playing perhaps there might be a chance for him to playb on the FIBA team as well. If he does the team's prospects would jump up even more.

IMHO even without Junior Cadougan playing, this is, perhaps, the greatest group of Canadian High School payers ever assembled.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2008

I'm not geography expert, so I could use a little help on this one... How is Brampton, Ontario in western Canada?
                What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• OZZag
                  Kennel Club
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
                  I'm not geography expert, so I could use a little help on this one... How is Brampton, Ontario in western Canada?
                  Well it is west of Toronto! As most of the players are from Ontario, they must have to divide tehm up someway and perhaps the line is between Brampton and TO. Quebec players are on the East side, while B.C.and ALTA on the west.

Looking at the teams again, East does have an advantage in the guards with Joseph and Tomlinson both very quick, but with Wings/forwards that the West team has, I still think that West will win.

Comment

• azzagfan
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Apr 2007

He's teammates with Reeves Nelson in this game. Casey Calvary part 2, but he'll be wearing a Bruin jersey .

Comment

• azzagfan
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Apr 2007

Be interested to hear how Kelly did last night if anyone has a Rivals membership...
                      Kelly's team won 92-79, but not sure if how he plays is mentioned.

Link

Comment

• skan72
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Apr 2007

There are 188 pics of the game on this site, and I've gone through and found all the ones I could of Kelly. If anyone finds anymore, post them please!

Feinberg Academic All-American Classic photo gallery was published on Monday, May 11, 2009 by Josh Thompson. The gallery features Village Christian, Mojave, Lee's Summit, Rocklin, Mater Dei, Walton, Windward, Detroit Country Day, Hopkins, Hopewell, Duncanville, Glenbrook South, Putnam City, San Leandro, Kenton, Killeen, Campbell Hall, Briarcrest Christian, Sylmar, Eisenhower, Richland, Modesto Christian, Lake Forest, Northfield Mount Hermon, Bishop Montgomery, Etiwanda, Findlay Prep, South Kamloops (Kamloops, British Columbia), Pleasant Grove and Lone Peak high schools.

Feinberg Academic All-American Classic photo gallery was published on Monday, May 11, 2009 by Josh Thompson. The gallery features Village Christian, Mojave, Lee's Summit, Rocklin, Mater Dei, Walton, Windward, Detroit Country Day, Hopkins, Hopewell, Duncanville, Glenbrook South, Putnam City, San Leandro, Kenton, Killeen, Campbell Hall, Briarcrest Christian, Sylmar, Eisenhower, Richland, Modesto Christian, Lake Forest, Northfield Mount Hermon, Bishop Montgomery, Etiwanda, Findlay Prep, South Kamloops (Kamloops, British Columbia), Pleasant Grove and Lone Peak high schools.

And if you start with this one and click through to 91, it's a succession of photos of a Kelly dunk:

Comment

• skan72
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Apr 2007

Here is an ESPN writeup on the game, Kelly is not mentioned.

Comment

• ZagNative
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Thanks, Skan! I had stumbled onto the Maxpreps album but wasn't persistent enough to click through all the photos.

Comment

• skan72
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Apr 2007

Woooooooops, all those pictures are from the All-Academic Classic, and so is the story. Sorry guys! Wrong thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X