PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hindsight being 20/20

former1dog
05-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Was it wise for Adam Morrison to leave early for the NBA draft?

My personal opinion, I still think it was very much the right thing for him to do.

Thoughts?

spudzag
05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
The timing was perfect for Morrison. He stock was at its peak value and he maximized his earnings. Staying another year would not have been of any benifit to him.

Pure
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
100% Yes.. No Doubt about it... Great Move... Now I just hope he gets a chance to play some minutes somewhere.

zagporvida
05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Hopefully he has been wise about his money. Good luck to Adam. Hope you get to play somewhere where they appreciate you.

Baldwinzag
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Considering Ammo was the 3rd overall pick and received a guaranteed contract worth over 3 mill per year for 2-3 years, he did the right thing at the right time. He'll be financially secure for the rest of his life while still playing the game he loves for a living. I'm sure he'd rather be a starter, but is it really that bad a job to practice bball with the best players in the world, sit courtside at every game, have the possibility of winning a Championship, while making over 3,000,000 per year to boot. Talk about a dream job.

That said, the article below addresses the decision to jump to the NBA or stay/go to school. Its a good read. While the article doesn't really apply to Adams past situation, it does relate to Daye's current options. I think it'd be good for Austin to read the first and last quotes I posted from the article.

NBA or NCAA? (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/1ae297a2642706e9882574130080f75f.txt)

"When you get up to the big leagues, they expect results,'' Cage said. "It has nothing to do with loyalty, with love. It's money and results. I pay you money, I expect results. I don't think young people come in and quite understand that.

"The money will always be there; that's what I tell them.''

University of San Diego coach Bill Grier saw some players leave early during his long tenure as a Gonzaga assistant. He said each case is different, but that he prefers players to stay in school

"My view on the thing is if a kid has an opportunity to be a lottery pick or get first-round guaranteed money, I think I look at it like, 'OK, he can make far more money if he leaves early than, say, he stayed all four years and got his education and doesn't play basketball afterward,' " Grier said. "When you look how much money these first-round draft picks make, you can't fault the kids for wanting to take care of (their) family

But are these baby players --“ in relative terms -- ready to tussle with grown men? Are college stars prepared to go from being Big Man On Campus to possibly a 12th man one seat over from the guy distributing towels?

"The NBA means 'No Boys Allowed,' " said Arizona interim coach Kevin O'Neill, whose coaching resume includes an NBA stint. "If you're not ready to go and you go, you are not going to have much fun. You're going to be someone who doesn't enjoy their life very much at all. That's not a good league to go to if you're not ready."

cjm720
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
For $$$ - no question.

Frankly, it sucks seeing JJ Reddick getting minutes in the playoffs and Ammo never leaving the bench. In fact, I just checked ESPN's box score and Ammo wasn't even listed as a player...not sure what's up with that.

I'll probably get some red boxes for this one, but I always joke that Ammo's career was derailed the second he started crying against UCLA. You gotta think that been brought up. The kid has the talent and heart, he just needs an opportunity. I hope he gets the chance.

GO ADAM AND GO ZAGS!!!

zagporvida
05-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Took me a second to realize that article was from 2008!

lothar98zag
05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Was it wise for Adam Morrison to leave early for the NBA draft?
Yes Yes Yes. 100% Yes.

JoeZag
05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Given the timing and his situation that he was in, yes he did the right thing. His value had peaked and it was a weak draft so it was the perfect storm so to speak. On the other hand, he really needed to get stronger before jumping to the NBA and he wasn't ready for all of the pressure placed on him being the #3 pick. This is where I would like to see the NBA and NCAA rules changed to be a little more like baseball. I would like to see teams draft the 'rights' to a player but let the player decide if he wishes to return to school after the draft. Because rookie salaries are slotted anyway in the first round, the kid would be guaranteed that same amount when he did finally join the NBA. The kid could capitalize on his 'peak value' without having to give up his eligibility. If the kid would have been drafted higher the next year, it's too bad because his rights are already owned at a given salary. This would allow NBA teams to draft on potential but not have a kid waste away on the bench for two or three years if they aren't ready. Obviously you could only have your rights drafted once, so for instance if you declared after your freshman year you could leave at any point after that and the same team would own your rights. This is similar to how the Celtics drafted Larry Bird in his junior year, but that was because the rule allowed teams to draft a player whose class had already graduated (remember he transferred from Indiana to Indiana State after his first year and collected garbage for awhile). That was a shrewd move by the Celtics. A rule similar to what I am proposing would have alloed Ammo to capitalize on his status and still play his senior year. He may not have chosen to do so, but it would have been nice to give him the option. Just my 2 cents....

bullzag23
05-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Given the strength of the following year's draft I would say yes without a doubt. Ammo took what was likely the best opportunity he had to be a top 3 pick. Had he gone the next year, in Durant/Oden's class he likely would have dropped at the very least to the bottom of the top 10, possibly to the very end of the lottery given all the talent in that draft (Horford, Conley Jr., Yi Jianlian, Noah, Hawes, etc.). Given the same choice I likely would have done the same.

LAZAGFAN11
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Cut the guy a break! His career is not over yet! You guys are talking like he doesn't have a chance to be a contributor in the league ever again.

This was really only his second year in the league. He completely tore his ACL. Those injuries typically take more than a year to come back from and then some after recovery. Also, he is busy learning the triangle for the first time behind one of the league's best bench squads.

But I believe that the Lakers wouldn't have traded for him if they didn't think he had some potential. Give him a full summer to get his confidence back in the summer leagues. That combined with an increased knowledge of the triangle should make him a player in the future.

Baldwinzag
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Cut the guy a break! His career is not over yet! You guys are talking like he doesn't have a chance to be a contributor in the league ever again.

This was really only his second year in the league. He completely tore his ACL. Those injuries typically take more than a year to come back from and then some after recovery. Also, he is busy learning the triangle for the first time behind one of the league's best bench squads.

But I believe that the Lakers wouldn't have traded for him if they didn't think he had some potential. Give him a full summer to get his confidence back in the summer leagues. That combined with an increased knowledge of the triangle should make him a player in the future.

All good points and I completely agree with you Adam career certainly isn't over, yet I don't see him staying with the Lakers after this season. They'll most likely cut him in the post season. I know the claim is he's still "learning" the intricacies of Triangle, yet Shannon Brown has been receiving regular PT and he arrived the same time as Adam. There is a reason the Lakers won't play him and its because they don't want to pay him. Similar to NFL contracts, Adam receives incentives for certain about of minutes played. I see Adam making a revival with a team like Seattle, Oklahoma, or even a San Antonio.

CDC84
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Interesting post JoeZag, if I might say so myself.

It would be interesting if they combined your idea with the long overdue eradication of the lame practice and skill development time limitations the NCAA puts on coaches and players during the offseason. College basketball is a year round activity, and all of these kids attend summer school. The players want to work with coaches more because the growth the players experience occurs during the college basketball offseason. Allowing these kids to work with their coaches more is a win win situation for college basketball and the NBA.

Pleasant Peninsula
05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Similar to NFL contracts, Adam receives incentives for certain about of minutes played.

What? Really? You have a source on that?

I highly doubt the Lakers are not playing Adam to save a few bucks, but rather, are not playing him because they don't feel he has anything to contribute to their team (at least this year)...

Pleasant Peninsula
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I would like to see the NBA and NCAA rules changed to be a little more like baseball. I would like to see teams draft the 'rights' to a player but let the player decide if he wishes to return to school after the draft. Because rookie salaries are slotted anyway in the first round, the kid would be guaranteed that same amount when he did finally join the NBA. The kid could capitalize on his 'peak value' without having to give up his eligibility. If the kid would have been drafted higher the next year, it's too bad because his rights are already owned at a given salary. This would allow NBA teams to draft on potential but not have a kid waste away on the bench for two or three years if they aren't ready. Obviously you could only have your rights drafted once, so for instance if you declared after your freshman year you could leave at any point after that and the same team would own your rights

That would be very interesting. But it isn't how baseball does it. A baseball player that opts not to sign after being drafted goes back into the draft pool the next year; the team that drafted him the first time gets nothing if they don't sign the player.

Zag 77
05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Assuming he made reasonable investments, he should be set for life. There was a good article in SI a couple of months ago on how so many athletes blow their money by trusting idiotic or unscrupulous "friends" who get them to invest in North Dakota Fried Buffalo Chips, or some such thing.

ZagNut08
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
The $150,000 bonus for making the playoffs must be nice

He may not have been listed on the box score the other night because he wasn't suited up. Not sure why, but he was on the bench in a suit