PDA

View Full Version : Top recruit Wall charged in break-in

Grad Zag
05-04-2009, 07:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=4135650

John Wall, the country's top unsigned high school recruit in basketball, has been charged with misdemeanor breaking and entering, WRAL-TV in Raleigh, N.C., has reported.

Wall, a 6-foot-3, 180-pound point guard ranked fifth in the ESPNU 100's Class of 2009, was cited in connection with an April 27 break-in of a Raleigh residence, police told the TV station.

According to the report, a police officer detained Wall, 18, after observing him leaving out the back of the home. Two minors were also detained and charged in connection with the break-in.

Police said there was no forced entry and nothing to indicate anything was missing from the residence, WRAL-TV reported.

sdzag
05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
:p That's it! GU should jump out of this race. We don't need a kid like this on our campus. Good thing we learned about this before offering him a scholie!

spudzag
05-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Nice.

zagking
05-04-2009, 08:48 AM
I hate when kids with so much ahead of them slip up, and do something stupid.

BroncoZAG615
05-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Is this the sign that his recruitment is coming to an end and Miami is the destination? ;)

Robzagnut
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Is this the sign that his recruitment is coming to an end and Miami is the destination? ;)

Or he'll get drafted by the Cinncinnati Bengals.

bullzag23
05-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Or he'll get drafted by the Cinncinnati Bengals.

Not possible. He'd have to be out of high school for at least 3 years for the Bengals to grab him :D

jazzdelmar
05-04-2009, 09:15 AM
roy williams has steadfastly stayed away from overtly recruiting this kid...maybe he knows something about him

CDC84
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
The sad thing about this is that it leads college basketball critics into saying, "See, every McDonald's All American caliber player is a spoiled, undisciplined, arrogant, morally corrupt individual who's dumb and has no business being a "student-athlete," etc. Nevermind that the vast majority of elite basketball recruits wouldn't do something like this that could derail their future.

sdzag
05-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I know that Coach K on the Jim Rome Radio show that he is not quite sure how good is team will be at point next year because there is a certain PG still deciding where he wants to go. This kid is a stud but it is terrible that he doesn't have people around him to help him make good choices. I mean all he has to stay out of trouble for another 13 months and he is a lottery pick. What a shame.

cbbfanatic
05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
CDC,

I've never heard an analyst say that all (or even the majority) of mcdaa's are spoiled, troublesome, etc kids.

There are always outliers that garner a lot of attention...

Das Zagger
05-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Police said there was no forced entry and nothing to indicate anything was missing from the residence, WRAL-TV reported.

It was a bank-owned home where there was a party going on.

$134k is a steal (http://www.movoto.com/real-estate/homes-for-sale/NC/Raleigh/3924-Laurel-Glen-Dr-413_1660384.htm)

I never did anything like this in high school, we only partied in fully furnished houses, partly because there weren't any bank owned houses around.

UberZagFan
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
He was with a bunch of other high school kids partying in a vacant house? Wow, somebody find The Book because this kid needs it thrown at him.

CaliforniaZaggin'
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
A dumb decision lead to him being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I expect he'll get some type of S.O.C. or deferred sentence where he'll have a chance to keep his record clean if he can stay out of trouble. I doubt this will effect his recruitment or future draft status all that much, if it does at all.

wiszag
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Maybe it's the criminal defense attorney in me but aren't a lot of people rushing to judgment here? No people hurt. No allegation of anything stolen. No evidence that anythig was damaged (makes me curious about the breaking part). No evidence of any drug or alcohol use. At worst it looks like he trespassed into a vacant home. Before crucifying this kid, maybe folks should wait for more of the facts.

ZagLawGrad
05-04-2009, 01:12 PM
:p That's it! GU should jump out of this race. We don't need a kid like this on our campus. Good thing we learned about this before offering him a scholie!

Sounds a bit harsh based on a news article.

ZagLawGrad
05-04-2009, 01:13 PM

$134k is a steal (http://www.movoto.com/real-estate/homes-for-sale/NC/Raleigh/3924-Laurel-Glen-Dr-413_1660384.htm)

I never did anything like this in high school, we only partied in fully furnished houses, partly because there weren't any bank owned houses around.

And I'd add that it was always nice to have some furniture to sit on, too.

gamagin
05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
says the charge is equivalent to a traffic citation. the house was listed for sale and was empty. sounds like kid stuff rather than criminal stuff to me.

UberZagFan
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
says the charge is equivalent to a traffic citation. the house was listed for sale and was empty. sounds like kid stuff rather than criminal stuff to me.

Well if it is equal to a citation, then NC has some strange lingo--citations mean no possibility of jail (as well as some other due process factors). In most states (all?), misdemeanors are criminal charges (less than felonies but still criminal-in WA misdemeanors are 90 days in jail/1K fine max with gross misdemeanors at 1year and 5K max). Also, it's quite strange to call a citation "breaking and entering"--usually that is a felony, or at least a gross misdemeanor. The facts sound like a criminal trespass charge to Uber. He'd give the kid a SOC with costs of $200.00, any restitution if necessary and some community service and 1 year law-abiding.

Rangerzag
05-04-2009, 04:18 PM

This really shows an actual depression in progress. Must not be enough adults out of town to party the usual way with the help of the trusted student house sitter ;^) ;)

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/10/23-End/tom-cruise-risky-business-guitar-hero-bob-seger-underwear-a-rod-kobe-hawk-phelps.jpg

azzagfan
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
This really shows an actual depression in progress. Must not be enough adults out of town to party the usual way with the help of the trusted student house sitter ;^) ;)

Amen. I'll bet if you check in wooded areas around Spokane on a Friday or Saturday night, you may find a few future Drs. and Lawyers doing very much the same thing (seems like the G-Prep kids always had really good shindigs when I was in high school).

Zag79
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Maybe it's the criminal defense attorney in me but aren't a lot of people rushing to judgment here? No people hurt. No allegation of anything stolen. No evidence that anythig was damaged (makes me curious about the breaking part). No evidence of any drug or alcohol use. At worst it looks like he trespassed into a vacant home. Before crucifying this kid, maybe folks should wait for more of the facts.

oh come on, you should have known a few of the holier than thou's on this board would say "fry him"! :lmao: what i would give to see the life of the people who thought josh should have been expelled, or railing this kid. im sure many of them were worse!

bartruff1
05-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Maybe it's the criminal defense attorney in me but aren't a lot of people rushing to judgment here? No people hurt. No allegation of anything stolen. No evidence that anythig was damaged (makes me curious about the breaking part). No evidence of any drug or alcohol use. At worst it looks like he trespassed into a vacant home. Before crucifying this kid, maybe folks should wait for more of the facts. I won't be throwing any rocks as I did the same thing...along with a roomate that was a varsity basketball player and a kid that ended up on the board of regents at Gonzaga...we didn't get caught. I can remember comiserating with my Doctor 25 years ago about our frequent trips to the emergency rooms... the principle's office and the juve court system to retrieve boys . He observed that if he had got caught doing all the things he did as a kid, he would still be in jail... Cosby (Bill not Bing) has it exactely right... that when you ask "WTF were you thinking ???" the answer is " I don't know ".... this is one of those "teachable moments " (Gag me with a spoon) assuming he has a teacher. Sure, I know nearly all of the students at Gonzaga are serious, responsible, dedicated, hard working and law abiding...sure they are...

Zag79
05-05-2009, 10:00 PM
bingo! we have a winner! great post bartruff!

gamagin
05-06-2009, 07:30 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/705422.html

bballbeachbum
05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
bingo! we have a winner! great post bartruff!

:agreed:

we'll all see if Wall learned something here, as his adolescence is played out in the public's eye

thanks for the update link gamagin...the venom from the comments section to that article I found quite revealing

anyway, I recently had to complete some research which included the below; Wall was not incarcerated, no, but the facts below still popped into my brain when I read the comments from the update link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisons_in_the_United_States

The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world at 738 persons in prison or jail per 100,000 (as of 2005).[18] A report released Feb. 28, 2008 indicates that more than 1 in 100 adults in the United States are in prision.[9] The United States has 5% of the world's population and 23.6% of the world's prison population.[3]

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

MDABE80
05-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Kids.........Looking back, I wonder who hasn't done a boneheaded thing in High School. I did plenty even in the face of strong supervision and the best guidance those black robes ( one of em nearly lived at the house) cold provide. And each time I had no idea what I was up to or why I did something. It just happened. Not even a thought of the "wrongness" of finding my into an empty place.

It corrected with consequences that made me think about what might have happened and then certainly with the embarrassment of graduating with an empty envelope instead of one with a diploma in it. Why? I was still paying fines instead of paying my last bit of tuition. Lots of mischief and I never knew why I was such a bonehead till later.

Wall will be fine. He just needs to grow up.

75Zag
05-06-2009, 01:33 PM
All this young man did was violate the 11th Commandment, which as we all know is the most important Commandment:

11. Don't Get Caught.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Zag79
05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
:lmao: