PDA

View Full Version : Katz: Six more weeks to sweat it out

ZagNative
04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Andy Katz (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4116233) seems to think the Zags will be fine, with or without Austin Daye:
With the draft withdrawal deadline set for June 15, some coaches preparing for worst
The situation isn't as dire at Gonzaga. The Bulldogs are waiting out Austin Daye's decision. But Daye is expendable. The Bulldogs don't need him to be WCC champs or an NCAA tournament team. Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray and Demetri Goodson provide the Zags with a solid backcourt. Robert Sacre will be the post, and the likely small forward replacement for Daye would be Kelly Olynyk, a 6-foot-10 forward out of Canada.

The newcomer class of G.J. Vilarino, Mangisto Arop and Samuel Dower should contribute, too. Gonzaga wants Daye to return, of course, but there isn't the same level of concern as there was last year when Jeremy Pargo tested the process. Goodson was an unknown, and the Bulldogs needed Pargo at the point to feel comfortable for a possible deep March run.

St. Mary's - the outlook hot so hot if Mills doesn't return.
On the other side of the country, Saint Mary's is in an even more fragile state. If Patty Mills stays in the draft, the Gaels are destined for a second-tier tournament, if that. If Mills were to return, they'd have four starters back and have a real shot to challenge for an NCAA berth and -- who knows? -- maybe nip at Gonzaga's heels again for the WCC title.

"It certainly makes a difference," Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett said. "Without him, we'll be young."

Nevtelen
04-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Interesting he calls Olynyk the likely SF replacement for Daye. I wonder if the staff mentioned that they'd play Austin at the 3 this season instead of the 4 (at least most of the time).

hls97
04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
The newcomer class of G.J. Vilarino, Mangisto Arop and Samuel Dower should contribute, too.

He doesn't mention Kong. I am trying not to read too much into that omission...

mainer6
04-30-2009, 02:17 PM
The newcomer class of G.J. Vilarino, Mangisto Arop and Samuel Dower should contribute, too.

He doesn't mention Kong. I am trying not to read too much into that omission...

+1

spudzag
04-30-2009, 02:18 PM
He also doesn't mention Harris, Poling or Gibbs, but he seems have a good feel for the overall picture.

cggonzaga
04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Why would he? Even though Kong will be here there's nothing official yet. All those other guys are officially signed. I think everyone around here is pretty confident Kelly will redshirt this year and even if he didn't he certainly won't be playing the 4.

CDC84
04-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Katz is not going to know about Harris and Kong. There have been no pressers.

Interesting note about SMC's scheduling:

As far as scheduling is concerned, Bennett can't wait around until June to see if Mills returns. So Bennett is already trying to get any game he can to upgrade the schedule. He said he nabbed Vanderbilt on the Commodores' way out to the Maui Invitational, and the Gaels are signed up to play in the Diamond Head Classic with headliners USC and UNLV. Return games to Oregon, Utah State and San Jose State were already on the docket.

BobZag
04-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I hope Daye returns, and I'm hearing odds are he will, but I've seen a lot of odds-on favorites lose the Kentucky Derby, too. With Daye, the Zags will be very, very good. Without Daye, the Zags will just be good.

As Katz say, five more weeks.

There won't be any mention of Kong until he is on campus and it's official. He will be, too.

ZagNative
04-30-2009, 03:36 PM
I assume that nothing's going to happen with Austin or the other guys who have indicated their intent to enter the draft until after the semester finals end Wednesday, May 6th. Undergraduate commencement will be Sunday, May 10th.

What happens then? From Chad Ford yesterday (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090427) in a post titled "10 things to know about the draft":
8. NBA Workouts are on
The attention will now turn to a number of top workout sites around the country led by elite trainers like Tim Grover and Joe Abunassar. I'll be making my annual visits to L.A., Las Vegas, South Florida and Chicago to check in on what the top prospects are doing to prepare for the draft.

NBA teams are free to workout all prospects once the league releases the official underclassmen list. However, it sounds like most prospects will pass on team workouts until after the NBA combine. Most of them want to take the next month to get into shape.

9. The next big draft event is the Chicago Pre-Draft Combine from May 27-31 at Grover's ATTACK Athletics Gym. The gym is nicer than virtually every NBA practice facility, so it should be a great venue.

However, unlike in past years, there will be no 5-on-5 scrimmages. Players will do athletic testing like vertical jumps and bench pressing, go through light drills and then go through a battery of medical tests. NBA teams will also be allowed to interview players one-on-one. The NBA expects to invite about 55 prospects.

A week later, the annual Reebok Eurocamp will be held in Treviso, Italy, from June 6-8. Camp director and Timberwolves scout Pete Philo says the camp will be loaded with international prospects who are draft eligible and headlined by Jennings, who is itching to show NBA executives and scouts that he's still a lottery pick.

After the camp, teams will be able to begin individual workouts. The league is barring teams from doing group workouts unless the league is notified or unless every team in the league is invited. It will be interesting to see how much teams use this strategy to save money.

On one hand, it provides a convenient spot to watch a lot of prospects at once. It also saves teams lots of money. On the other hand, your coaches and trainers don't get to do one-on-one work and you have to share the information you learn with everyone else.

So, see if I've interpreted this correctly: I assume we won't know anything about how the NBA draft prospects are progressing until May 6th (finals end) at the earliest, and then we can look for reports as to where they are working out in preparation for the NBA combine May 27-31. Only after the combine will most prospects participate in individual workouts for NBA teams.

Did I get the general flow right?

Rangerzag
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
I hope Daye returns, and I'm hearing odds are he will, but I've seen a lot of odds-on favorites lose the Kentucky Derby, too. With Daye, the Zags will be very, very good. Without Daye, the Zags will just be good.

There won't be any mention of Kong until he is on campus and it's official. He will be, too.

I am guessing the odds are excellent that if Daye wins the Kentucky Derby we will not see him here next year ;) :jk:

Summer session starts May 18. No dates on academic calendar showing last day to add/drop. I am guessing we will have Kong sightings around then, two and a half weeks :)

Zaghuatanejo
04-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I bet on I Want Revenge for the Derby and Daye coming back. I'll be happy with 50/50, but am obviously hoping for the 2-pick parlay.

cggonzaga
04-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Pioneerofthenile and Baffert.

BobZag
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Friesan Fire.

Just send me the money.

IODubyaA
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
With the assumption that Daye doesn't come back Katz still has the Zags at 20th in this top 25 for next year. I'm not big on preseason rankings but do you think with the return of Daye the Zags would move up a few slots?
Revised Top 25 For Next Year (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4105841)

Zag79
04-30-2009, 10:58 PM
but there isn't the same level of concern as there was last year when Jeremy Pargo tested the process. Goodson was an unknown, and the Bulldogs needed Pargo at the point to feel comfortable for a possible deep March run.

yes, yes they did. glad katz knows more than some people on here. :lmao: sorry, couldnt resist. but anyone who thinks this team will be as good without daye is in need of medication. no way is this team even close without him. he would be our best player next year, the top scorer, the guy that demands attention so the others are open to get theres. matty still isnt even as proven against the teams outside of the wcc to be the guy that can carry the team like daye. if austin comes back, he will tear it up and be lotto no doubt next year. my fingers are crossed!

OZZag
05-01-2009, 01:17 AM
I am dissapointed that so many posters do not believe that the staff have secured enough talent to compensate for the possible loss of Daye. The staff would have realised that at some stage it might be possible for AD to leave and recruited accordingly. Just looking at Kong, Harris and Arop, all have excellent experience as newcomers.

If they put on the jersey they will be ready to play!

Go Zags!

RenoZag
05-01-2009, 05:59 AM
Hold Me Back
Chocolate Candy
Pioneer of The Nile
General Quarters

$2 Tri Box

And for the helluvit:
A straight win bet on Desert Party. . .he can handle the off track.

I Want Revenge has a rookie jockey. . .not a good history with first time at the Derby jockey's hitting the board.

And I think zag79 nails it.

zagking
05-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Bob- are you getting sick of reassuring everyone that Kong is in fact coming?

BobZag
05-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Bob- are you getting sick of reassuring everyone that Kong is in fact coming?

Nah. It comes with the territory. :)