PDA

View Full Version : International pre-season trips

OZZag
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Given the relative inexperience of many of the Zags incoming class, I was wondering if the Zags have in the past (or even consider) taken some of the players on a preseason road trip. B.C. annually gets D1 teams in the late summer up to play UBC, UVIC and Simon Fraser.This allows the coaching staff and players to become more familar with each other.

A couple of years ago my son and I went and watched Utah play one of our professional teams here on Sydney which was awesome for us. Utah played a 5-6 game schedule in Australia that trip from what I remembered.

BTW, I would be happy to host the team for a BBQ! if they wanted to visit "down under".....................

sircreate
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Purdue did the same thing before this season kicked off

Came down under and played the pro teams down here and also the AIS kids.

Kaduce
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
WSU went down under a year or two ago.

zag67
04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
I think that theiy can only play one every x number of years. With 3 of the players playing international, then I would think that next year would be a better time.

NorthWestZag
04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
maybe they can go to canada in a few years when sacre is a senior and kong/arop/olly are playing significant minutes. Give them a canadian tour hitting bc, edmonton, ontario

PilotNut
04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I believe it is once every 4 (?) years that a team can travel abroad, and get in a little extra practice time before leaving.

Portland is heading to Australia in May.

bartruff1
04-30-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't think I would be looking for any more "opportunities" to be away from my family. I think the coaches can manage to take the kids on a few road trips but I suspect they treasure their time at home. But I guess Few wouldn't necessarily have to go but I am under the impression the others have youngsters also..

cbbfanatic
04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
If it was a tourney that happened before the fall semester began, the incoming freshman wouldn't be able to participate... I think there is an annual thing in montreal (a fun place to visit, btw) right after labor day that works out nicely for semester schools that want to get freshman some game time before the season starts

CB4
04-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Every year I know a bunch of NCAA teams come up and face off against CIS teams, I saw AZ play UBC a while back, and Oklahoma has been up as well. With the Canadian talent on the team this year, plus our constant recruiting out of Canada, it'd be great to see some pre-season games against UBC, SFU, and UVIC in late summer. Trips to Ontario would be pointless in my opinion when there's quality teams to play under 8 hours away.

skan72
05-03-2009, 05:43 PM
maybe they can go to canada in a few years when sacre is a senior and kong/arop/olly are playing significant minutes. Give them a canadian tour hitting bc, edmonton, ontario

That would be a long trip. I don't see the need to go to Ontario as Arop, Olynyk, Kong, and Sacre are all originally and grew up mostly in Western Canada. A Western Canada trip would be wicked though.