PDA

View Full Version : Another potential Canadian recruit; PG Kevin Pangos

thespywhozaggedme
04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I initially heard about him from Ozz

Hoops factory, a team based outta T.O. went undefeated in this tournament, becoming the first ever non European team to win it. Kevin Pangos, who is being hailed as the next Steve Nash lead all scorers with 28 and was named the tourney mvp, I believe. I'm telling you guys, within the next 4-8 years Canada will be one of the top 6 teams in the world, and we're really developing a pipeline. Tristan Thompson is now listed as the #1 2010 recruit in America, the first time ever for a Canadian. Pangos, by all accounts is the real deal, Oz or Skan can elaborate on him. If we can nab him, pf David Wagner (who I assume is a lock since he was Kelly's high school teammate, just has to be determined if he's high D1 material) and C Khem Burch and we could conceivably land the top 3 or 4 Canadian kids on a yearly basis. I'm not sure if Pangos is an '10 or '11.

http://basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?id=3007

skan72
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Pangos was on the U15 provincial Ontario Team this past summer, so he has to be at the very most a 2011 kid; however, according to this Canadian ranking site (http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/news.pl?nid=36) he is actually 2012. Which is absolutely amazing! He is still so young and already about a 6'1" point guard who is destroying competition of all caliber and age.

I say Wagner could be a high D1 prospect, he just has to work on his athleticism, hopefully grow an inch or two more, and develop a much better work ethic. Looking at it, it's a lot to ask but it's doable.

75Zag
04-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Doesn't Canada have any 6'10" 255 pound kids that GU can "discover"? Is there a food shortage? Where are the power forwards for God' sake? Canada has great beer, great farms, and great beef raised on the prairies of Alberta. Don't they feed their kids?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

thespywhozaggedme
04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Doesn't Canada have any 6'10" 255 pound kids that GU can "discover"? Is there a food shortage? Where are the power forwards for God' sake? Canada has great beer, great farms, and great beef raised on the prairies of Alberta. Don't they feed their kids?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Yup, Khem Burch and Coach Few already knows all about him; although he's about 30lbs shy of 255, but it shouldn't be a problem with his frame.

dnj116
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Not to mention, most of those big farm boys play puck, not ball.

GUZag08
04-29-2009, 01:48 PM

Not positive if you were being sarcastic, but Sacre is around 7'0 255.

BobZag
04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Sign up Pangos, right after Few signs up Gary Bell, Jr. :) That sure would be a nice Daily Double.

thespywhozaggedme
04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Sign up Pangos, right after Few signs up Gary Bell, Jr. :) That sure would be a nice Daily Double.

So, Pangos is already on the radar then, huh? Excellent. By the way, I hear that feelers were put out for Ty Nurse, but when Vila the Thrilla from Manila became available, they went south to Texas and not north to BC. Is this true?

BobZag
04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Don't know about that.

Pangos looks similar to Brett Kingma.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Hoopstarscanada.com has already put up rankings for the class of 2012.

http://www.hoopstarscanada.com/news.pl?nid=36

While it is not set in stone that each of these prospects will graduate in this designated year, due to the high percentage of southern Ontario prospects using their optional fifth year of high school eligibility as they prepare for the next level, prospective fifth-year southern Ontario-based grads were chosen. Some have already designated themselves as potential grads in the given year below, while some have not. Since the NCAA has tightened their rulebook on the eligibility of prospects in Quebec, two years of CEGEP for each was placed as the default road to their graduation.

HoopStars Canada rankings - Class of 2012

1. Richard Peters 6’10” C, Sagemont (Weston, FL) via Toronto, ON
2. Junior Lomomba 6’4” SF, Madison Memorial (Madison, WI) via Montreal, QC
3. Anthony Bennett 6’6” PF, Harold Brathwaite (Brampton, ON)
4. Kevin Pangos 6’1” PG, Dr. JM Denison (Newmarket, ON)
5. Jermaine Myers 6’0” PG, Culver (Culver, IN) via Ajax, ON
6. Martin Dixon-Green 6’3” SG, Pope John Paul II (Toronto, ON)
7. Juwan Brescacin 6’4” SF, Loyola (Mississauga, ON)
8. Jonathan Alexander 6’4” PF, Mother Teresa (Toronto, ON)
9. Olivier Hanlan 6’0” PG, Grand Riviere (Gatineau, QC)
10. Keegan Dunlop 6’10” C, St. Francis (St. Catharines, ON)

OZZag
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Pangos, along with Myck Kabongo (St. Benedicts) are the top Canadian point guards coming through (Cory Joseph is more of a combo guard). Kevin's game is very mature, already excellent shooter, he is also a very good passer. Kevin is 6'1" as a freshman so most likely should end up a decent size.

He will most likley be the starting point guard for the Canadian U16 FIBA Americas team when it is announced next month. Kevin would be a natural for NEDA except I hear rumors that it might not be continuing due to funding issues. If NEDA does not continue, then I would not be surprised if he heads south sometime soon.

The other players above listed him, IMHO will all be at least four star prospects, Peters has already had Michael Jordan give him a pep talk while at a Madison Square garden game earlier this year. Lomomba is a "gun" (what we Aussie's call a sure fire winner) he is a starter for the Wisconsin Divison 1 state champs and will be getting an offer from Marquette any tick of the clock. Junior shut down Oregon-bound Senior Jamil Wilson in the state final. 6'6" g/f Bennett has incredible athleticism and made 1st team all star in the Italian tournament as well, he hit three straight 3 pointers in the final.

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Just wanted to bump this. Pangos aka Steve Nash 2.0 scored 28 with 7 steals and 5 assists in Canada's victory over Venezuela for the bronze medal in the Americas U16. This guy is a stud and would be just one more "under the radar" types that we could land before the big boys find out about him. He's a '11 recruit, btw.

http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=MPJFWEMKZB

thespywhozaggedme
06-21-2009, 08:02 PM
from basketball.ca:

CANADA BEATS VENEZUELA TO QUALIFY FOR 2010 U17 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - By Tanya Phillipps, basketball.ca
Last Updated: June 21, 2009
MENDOZA, Argentina – Team Canada played Venezuela on Sunday in the bronze medal match of the FIBA Americas U16 Championships – at stake a berth to 2010 World Championships. The Canadians dominated Team Venezuela, winning 106-81.

Canada’s captain, point guard Kevin Pangos (Holland Landing, Ont.) took control of the game, leading all scorers with 28 points. Jonathan Alexander-Guillaume (Toronto) again was strong on both ends of the court, racking up a double-double with 17 points and 10 boards. Duane Notice (Vaughan, Ont.) had 18 points and Nick Lewis (Scarborough, Ont.) added 14.

While Venezuela’s Edyn Lugo and Israel de Jesus Key both contributed 17 points and Michael Gamboa collected a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds, Canada maintained control of the entire game, leading 23-10 after the first quarter.

In the second, Venezuela managed to adjust its offence in an effort to cut the lead. At the end of the period, Venezuela had racked up 21 points to Canada’s 19, but the red-and-white still maintained the lead at the half, 42-31.

The third period was much of the same as Canada continued to put on a shooting show while protecting its basket. The Venezuelans were better on offence than in the first half, scoring 23 points, but Canada answered with 29 including some clutch three-point shots.

Venezuela had its best quarter in the fourth, collecting 29 points. But Team Canada was just too dominant, scoring 33 in the fourth to take away the win 106-81. The winning formula for the red-and-white was excellent shooting as Canada was 48 per cent from the three-point line versus 29 per cent for Team Venezuela.

With this win, Canada qualified to compete in the first ever FIBA U17 World Championship next summer in Germany. Joining Canada from the Americas zone will be gold medallist Team USA and silver medallist Argentina.

On the tournament leaderboard, Canada’s Negus Webster-Chan led all players in three-pointers, shooting 47.1 per cent. Teammate Pangos led in free throw shooting percentage, 89.7, and was second in assists (19), steals (16) and three-pointers made (10).

OZZag
06-21-2009, 09:18 PM
That's my boy!

Seriously though, Kevin has shown that everytime a big game is needed from him he comes through. As per above Canada qualified third, and this was without any US based players such as Peters or Lamomba. It will be interesting to see If Canada Basketball brings either in next year like they have with Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph for the U19 worlds next month.

CanadianZagFan
06-22-2009, 05:41 AM
This kid seems legit, sometimes you hear of 15 year old and they fade away, but I think that Kevin is playing basketball with skill and IQ, not just being the biggest or most athletic. I look forward to following his development.

Vero30
08-01-2009, 08:59 AM
i was at the italian tournament last week... Kevin is an amazing player...at firts i tought it was a mistake, a 1993 in the roster??? then i saw him and i realized it was correct.. in all 3 games he had almost 3 min he scored just in the last game a 3 point perfect shoot..but he made 3 really good games, not scared to lead the game, perfectly in controll...a real Point guard..
and what to say about the trainings in the morning, he works hard, he never complains, he shoot with almost 70-80% from 2 points..
he is incredible!!!
Edit/Delete Message

thespywhozaggedme
08-01-2009, 10:22 AM
i was at the italian tournament last week... Kevin is an amazing player...at firts i tought it was a mistake, a 1993 in the roster??? then i saw him and i realized it was correct.. in all 3 games he had almost 3 min he scored just in the last game a 3 point perfect shoot..but he made 3 really good games, not scared to lead the game, perfectly in controll...a real Point guard..
and what to say about the trainings in the morning, he works hard, he never complains, he shoot with almost 70-80% from 2 points..
he is incredible!!!
Edit/Delete Message

Mr. or Mrs. Pangos, I presume? ;)

MDABE80
08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Hope Vero IS one of his parents. Shows they have interest in sending him down here to be a ZAG. I'd love to have Kevin here. Bell, Pangos and Wiltjer would solidify the future like at no other time. Trio is a FF guard lineup. Meech, Matt, Steven, GJ and Grant are nothin to sneeze at but those youngsters behind them are looking better than ever.

Vero30
08-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Hope Vero IS one of his parents. Shows they have interest in sending him down here to be a ZAG. I'd love to have Kevin here. Bell, Pangos and Wiltjer would solidify the future like at no other time. Trio is a FF guard lineup. Meech, Matt, Steven, GJ and Grant are nothin to sneeze at but those youngsters behind them are looking better than ever.

i'm not one member of Pangos family...i'm just an italian girl that was at that tournament...

Vero30
08-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Mr. or Mrs. Pangos, I presume? ;)

no..just an italian basketball player and coach that was there at the tournament

BobZag
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
no..just an italian basketball player and coach that was there at the tournament

Grazi. Molta Bella! :)

Thank you for your first-hand account of Kevin Pangos.

Vero30
08-06-2009, 01:55 AM
Grazi. Molta Bella! :)

Thank you for your first-hand account of Kevin Pangos.

Nice italian :)

no problem, unfortunatelly over here there aren't many games like that...wish there were more international tournament, so i can have the chance to see guys like Kevin playing..

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-06-2009, 07:30 AM
This is Gonzaga's new mascot for the 2010-2011 season.

thespywhozaggedme
12-08-2009, 11:46 AM
This is Gonzaga's new mascot for the 2010-2011 season.

Someone should photoshop a basketball on spinning on top of his finger and replace his mountie shirt with a Zags jersey. lol

On a side note, if we are the leaders for Pangos we could conceivably make history by having a starting 5 of all Canadians:

PG: Pangos
SG: Manny
SF: Bol
PF: KO
C: Bobby

The funny thing is, that would be a freaking awesome lineup, shows just how good Canadian prep hoops has become.

maynard g krebs
12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
The Canadian team in Portland mostly controlled the game vs the top US team at the Nike tourney in Ptld., IMO it took some late game home cooking to prevent an "embarassing" loss by the US. Attending that game showed me how right you have been. Nice scouting job.

BRAY88
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Tristan Thompson And Cory Joseph Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHjRO5IJ0js

Myck Kabongo Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwQ22KOx2dc

Zags should draft joseph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD01T8E4OwQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5hA4mKYeU

thespywhozaggedme
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
The Canadian team in Portland mostly controlled the game vs the top US team at the Nike tourney in Ptld., IMO it took some late game home cooking to prevent an "embarassing" loss by the US. Attending that game showed me how right you have been. Nice scouting job.

Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm a man of very little talent, but I have been ahead of the curve identifying the talent to the north; thankfully we have really benefited from it.

BRAY88
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Canada Basketball Facebook Page with updates on Canadian Basketball Talent

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canada-Basketball/42100100012?ref=nf

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=62126996749&ref=ts

CarolinaZagFan
12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Do any of you know anything about how good Christian Kabongo is? He's Canadian and committed to my Alma Mater (ECU) a while back... Sorry to switch the thread up, but I know a lot of you have seen a lot of Canadian basketball and I was wondering if he could do anything to help ECU's pathetic basketball program haha.