PDA

View Full Version : OT: GU Basketball Leadership Study

Timspo14
04-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post but I've been a lurker here for quite some time so I feel as if I know mostly everyone. I'm glad I could finally post, as like the rest of you I'm a huge Zag fan.

I'm a junior at UPS in Tacoma, but I'm from Spokane and I'm looking for some help if possible. I'm taking a class on Leadership this semester, and for my term paper I decided to write it on something I'm quite passionate about: Sports Leadership - specifically in the case of Gonzaga University basketball.
In my paper I'm going to examine just how leadership at the university (coaches, players, administration) contributed to the program's rise to national prominence.

Essentially I want to study the past 12-13 years and see what leadership factors could be responsible. If any of you have read the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins, I'm looking to use many of the same principles in my own paper.

What I'm asking is if any of you know of any great articles, essays, books, videos, etc. that could be helpful in my research. I figure I'd have the most luck asking around these boards as everyone here is obviously very knowledgeable about the specifics of the program.

I also need to get 3 interviews to support my topic, so if you have any ideas on who I could speak with or email, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help guys! I'm very excited about writing and researching this paper and this is a great place to begin.

:cheers:

(p.s. Mods, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section)

former1dog
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
There was a great article posted here a few weeks back with an interview of Father Spitzer detailing his relationship with Mark Few and how they grew the program. Sorry I don't have time to search for it, but the forum search tool is your friend.

Timspo14
04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks! I'll take a look.

I've done some research since my original post and I can't believe how much is out there. This is fun. Keep em coming!

I love GU!

lothar98zag
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
these two books might not help a lot with the paper, but they should be read anyway -

http://www.amazon.com/Bravehearts-Against-All-Odds-Rise-Gonzaga-Basketball/dp/1572434996/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241030096&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Gonzaga-Hardwood-Dave-Boling/dp/1582612722/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241030096&sr=1-1

lothar98zag
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
There was a great article posted here a few weeks back with an interview of Father Spitzer detailing his relationship with Mark Few and how they grew the program. Sorry I don't have time to search for it, but the forum search tool is your friend.
here - http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2009/mar/18/q-father-spitzer/

BobZag
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
these two books might not help a lot with the paper, but they should be read anyway -

http://www.amazon.com/Bravehearts-Against-All-Odds-Rise-Gonzaga-Basketball/dp/1572434996/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241030096&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Gonzaga-Hardwood-Dave-Boling/dp/1582612722/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241030096&sr=1-1

Must reads.

FuManShoes
04-29-2009, 10:49 AM
And here's an example of poor leadership:

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/huskyhoops/2009/01/23/on_retiring_num.html

NOTHING NEW ON GONZAGA RESCHEDULING FRONT --- Woodward also said again that there has been nothing done in terms of renewing the series with Gonzaga. Rumors continue to percolate, but the reality is that nothing has really changed from the day the two teams stopped playing after the 2006-07 season. UW coach Lorenzo Romar said then that he intended to play Gonzaga again someday. That's still the official stance. But Woodward said flatly "no, we haven't'' when asked if UW has had any discussions with GU about renewing the series.

Woodward said he supports whatever Romar wants to do with the schedule, and that while he hopes the series is renewed someday, "we're going to do it on our terms.''

GoZags
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I've always liked this article from Dec. '01.
-------------
Don't let these guys surprise you
12/18/01
KEN GOE
SPOKANE -- Believe it or not, the genesis of the Northwest's dominant college basketball program took place at a camp in Eugene in the late 1980s.

Dan Monson was running the camp for his father, Don, the University of Oregon coach. He hired UO assistant Leon Rice, Sheldon High assistant Mark Few and Cottage Grove High assistant Billy Grier to work at the camp, and the group bonded.
They were in their mid-20s. None had played a minute of major college basketball, but they shared a love of the sport, a love of teaching and a common philosophy.
"We were scrappers," Rice said. "Whatever we did, we had to overachieve to do it."
Who could have guessed then that the four entry-level coaches would combine a decade later to create one of college basketball's most stunning success stories at Gonzaga, the Jesuit university just north of downtown Spokane.
It's an unlikely setting: small school, tiny gym, medium-sized city, isolated corner of the country.
But the numbers don't lie. In the last 41/2 seasons, the Bulldogs are 113-35. They have turned the selection committee's seeding chart upside down by going deep into the last three NCAA Tournaments.
The success didn't come out of thin air. Dan Fitzgerald had put together a decent program over 15 seasons, winning 60 percent of his games.
But Fitzgerald had no history of NCAA Tournament success before a messy scandal over a six-figure slush fund forced him out before the 1997-98 season.
Monson, Few and Grier were on staff. Monson took over from Fitzgerald. He put Few in charge of the Gonzaga offense, Grier in charge of the defense and loosened the reins.
"Our kids were always looking at the bench, asking what's a good shot, what isn't a good shot," Few said. "We wanted to make sure our team played with a lot of freedom and confidence offensively.
"We would coach them on what is a good decision and what isn't a good decision. But during the game I wanted them to push the ball up the floor, not to worry about us, and let it rip. That was our philosophy."
Matt Santangelo, a point guard out of Central Catholic, ran the show. Richie Frahm, a long-range shooter from Battle Ground, Wash., made the three-pointers, and forward Casey Calvary did the rebounding. It all fell into place, and the Bulldogs won 24 games.
The next season, Gonzaga went 28-7 and took the NCAA Tournament by storm, beating Minnesota, Stanford and Florida before losing the West Region final by five points to Connecticut, the eventual NCAA champion.
Monson left to become Minnesota's coach. Few inherited the job and brought in Rice, then coach at Yakima Valley College. But the Bulldogs' formula remained the same.
They outworked, out-evaluated and out-recruited programs at the area's Pacific-10 Conference schools. Then, they tweaked college basketball's establishment, making the NCAA Tournament round of 16 the last two seasons.
Santangelo and Frahm have been replaced by Dan Dickau of Prairie High in Brush Prairie, Wash., and Blake Stepp of South Eugene. Calvary is gone, but the Bulldogs beefed up inside with 6-foot-8 Zach Gourde, another Prairie graduate, and 6-8 bruiser Cory Violette, a sophomore from Boise.
This season, the No. 24 Bulldogs (9-2) have beaten St. John's, Texas, Fresno State, Washington and Washington State.
"They do the best job in America of finding guys to play in their system," said Ken Kuzmaak, a Portland-based prep basketball talent scout. "They are very shrewd evaluators.
"What they expect their players to do requires great skill and intelligence. They are very difficult to prepare for."
Especially when they are continually underestimated. Few recalled a conversation the Gonzaga coaches had two weeks ago with an NBA scout, who cautioned them to slow the tempo against Fresno State.
"He told us, 'You can't run with them,' " Few said. "We're like, 'What are you talking about? We're going to try to come down and push the thing right down their throats.' We want to play fast."
Which is what Gonzaga did in an 87-77 victory.
"It's kind of a misnomer about us," Few said. "It's almost funny. They assume we are not very athletic. It's a big mistake."
The Bulldogs can run and jump with everybody on their schedule.
"Casey Calvary was probably one of the top five or top 10 most athletic players in college basketball last year because of his size, how well he could run the floor and how well he could jump," said Dickau, who played two seasons at Washington before transferring.
"Casey could dunk on anybody, and he was stronger than every single player he went up against."
Dickau, a 6-0 guard who played for the United States last summer in the World University Games, is often one of the most athletic players on the floor, too. Multidimensional, he handles the ball, penetrates and is an excellent three-point shooter.
"After we went to the elite eight, people would say: 'Oh man, you guys caught lightning in a bottle,' " Few said. "Then, the next year, when we went to the sweet 16, it was: 'Wow, what an unbelievable senior class. You will never have a class like that again in 100 years.' "
The naysayers were left speechless after Gonzaga opened the 2001 NCAA Tournament by beating Virginia from the powerful Atlantic Coast Conference, then followed with a second round victory over Indiana State.
This might be Gonzaga's best team yet, if Stepp can play his way into shape after offseason surgery to correct a degenerative condition in his left knee.
Stepp hasn't practiced much this fall. His shot has suffered for it. But the Bulldogs have compensated inside with Gourde, Violette and 6-9 freshman Ronny Turiaf. Gonzaga leads the Division I level in rebounding margin. Violette had 20 rebounds against Fresno State.
Turiaf, who hails from Martinique and has big-time skills, and incoming recruit Sean Mallon, a Top 50 high school player from Spokane, indicate the Bulldogs have increased their recruiting reach into blue-chip territory. Gonzaga is on the map.
"I don't think there is a team in the country that doesn't know who Dan Dickau is," Gourde said.
Certainly, last week Washington and Washington State took on Gonzaga with a fervor not normally seen from a Pac-10 team playing a nonconference game against a team from the lower-regarded West Coast Conference.
The Bulldogs beat Washington by 20 points and the Cougars by 23.
Greater Spokane is riveted. The Bulldogs' home gym, 4,000-seat Martin Centre, has been sold out for the last four years. This season, the school put its home games on local television in an attempt to meet the demand.
"This town is absolutely bonkers over the Zags," Few said. "Dan Dickau can't go downtown without getting mobbed. We're basically the Trail Blazers of this area, because there is no pro team.
"We've been able to sell that from a recruiting standpoint. This is the only game in town in a city of 500,000. That is pretty nice."
On a national level, the Gonzaga phenomena has been unlikely and unexpected. But get used to it. The Bulldogs aren't going away.

lothar98zag
04-29-2009, 11:09 AM
...I also need to get 3 interviews to support my topic, so if you have any ideas on who I could speak with or email, that would be greatly appreciated!...

You could start by calling the GU Athl Dept. You might be able to convince the AD or someone else to talk to you.

Whether that works or not, you could probably get a NW sports writer or two to talk to you. (start with the ones that wrote the two books)

Maybe even try the hoops coaches at UPS.

Angelo Roncalli
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM
You should contact Dr. Jerry Krause, Gonzaga's director of basketball operations. Above all, Dr. Krause is an educator and I think he would be more than willing to help.

4AmericasTeam
04-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I would interview Dan Fitzgerald first if I could. He's really the one that founded this whole era of success.

Timspo14
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys so much. I appreciate the responses. I'm in class so I can't really go over every post right now but I'm very, very grateful.

Qhall43
04-29-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm a junior at UPS in Tacoma, but I'm from Spokane and I'm looking for some help if possible. I'm taking a class on Leadership this semester, and for my term paper I decided to write it on something I'm quite passionate about: Sports Leadership - specifically in the case of Gonzaga University basketball.
In my paper I'm going to examine just how leadership at the university (coaches, players, administration) contributed to the program's rise to national prominence.

Essentially I want to study the past 12-13 years and see what leadership factors could be responsible. If any of you have read the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins, I'm looking to use many of the same principles in my own paper.

Is it Paradigms of Leadership with Dr. M?

Rangerzag
04-29-2009, 06:21 PM

If I were a student in Tacoma writing a paper about Zag basketball, I would be really tempted to interview Judge Burgess and figure out how to work it into the project. I met him just once. I walked up and introduced myself and he was the most pleasant fellow to talk to you could imagine. He has been watching the Zags for a very long time and he is right in Tacoma.

A second on contacting Dr Krause. He wrote the book, well actually book after book after book about basketball ;)

Timspo14
04-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Is it Paradigms of Leadership with Dr. M?

Yep, that's exactly right. :p

KitsapZag
04-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Timspo,

A year ago someone on this board linked to a preview of Tales from the Gonzaga Hardwood that included the first 32 pages from the book. You can find it here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HA_j7eXp6xsC&pg=PA201&lpg=PA201&dq=lorenzo+rollins&source=web&ots=g9HbLvI1M8&sig=J_hSDhoksluX1DgadTzIOrhzASY&hl=en#PPA13,M1

I hope the link works. You will have to pay for the last 170 pages.

BTW, I graduated from GU in 1970 and was stationed at Ft. Lewis over the winter of 70-71. That winter, I was able to attend the BB game between the Loggers and Bulldogs at UPS. I forget who won; but that was the last GU game I was at and the only one I attended where they wore their blue unis. My how GU's opponents have changed.:D

Timspo14
04-29-2009, 07:57 PM
I've always liked this article from Dec. '01.
-------------
Don't let these guys surprise you
12/18/01
KEN GOE
SPOKANE -- Believe it or not, the genesis of the Northwest's dominant college basketball program took place at a camp in Eugene in the late 1980s.

... The Bulldogs aren't going away.

Thanks GZ! That article's perfect.

Timspo14
04-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Timspo,

A year ago someone on this board linked to a preview of Tales from the Gonzaga Hardwood that included the first 32 pages from the book. You can find it here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=HA_j7eXp6xsC&pg=PA201&lpg=PA201&dq=lorenzo+rollins&source=web&ots=g9HbLvI1M8&sig=J_hSDhoksluX1DgadTzIOrhzASY&hl=en#PPA13,M1

I hope the link works. You will have to pay for the last 170 pages.

BTW, I graduated from GU in 1970 and was stationed at Ft. Lewis over the winter of 70-71. That winter, I was able to attend the BB game between the Loggers and Bulldogs at UPS. I forget who won; but that was the last GU game I was at and the only one I attended where they wore their blue unis. My how GU's opponents have changed.:D

Haha yeah, I remember seeing somewhere that UPS and GU used to go head to head. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that was back when UPS was still D1 so it wasn't as strange of a matchup as it would be now.

Qhall43
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Yep, that's exactly right. :p

Best class I took in college. Dr M is incredible.

Off the top of my head things you might wanna look at from Collins' approach:

Level 5 leadership: Setting up successors for success (Fitz>Monson>Few>Grier/Rice), personal humility and modesty among leaders, ambition is focused on success of organization not on personal interests

Who: Fitz getting the right people on the bus and then Spitzer et al paying and supporting to keep the staff intact ( minus Monson and eventually Grier), outside mentors helping program (Stockton, Heathcoate, etc)

Flywheel: Today's success as a culmination of years of building this model/ no one defining moment as a flash in the pan, depending on your perspective the breakthrough could be the consecutive NCAA appearances or it could still be waiting to emerge with a final four/national title

skan72
04-29-2009, 09:05 PM
You should contact Dr. Jerry Krause, Gonzaga's director of basketball operations. Above all, Dr. Krause is an educator and I think he would be more than willing to help.

I think Krause is great, has a fantastic basketball knowledge, and loves to help kids and players get better; however, I have one "bone" to pick with him. Every year at the Gonzaga team camps he does a good job of getting the players up and moving and learning things during the sessions the players attend. But, during these sessions he always mentions things that he will not be going into but can be found in his books and videos of which he has published hundreds and they're available to buy at the Gonzaga book store, etc.

It is great he has written so many books and such to help players, and I know it is part of his livelihood, but the kids pay so much to come down to the camp. I would hope he would share these things with them in the future instead of trying to sell them something, in my opinion, that they've already paid for.

MBZags
04-29-2009, 09:12 PM
You should definitely talk to the Athletic Director, Mike Roth. He is always willing to help students out with interviews and gave me more than an hour-long interview about the evolution of the Gonzaga program, among other things. His contact information is on the GoZags.com website.

Timspo14
04-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Best class I took in college. Dr M is incredible.

Off the top of my head things you might wanna look at from Collins' approach:

Level 5 leadership: Setting up successors for success (Fitz>Monson>Few>Grier/Rice), personal humility and modesty among leaders, ambition is focused on success of organization not on personal interests

Who: Fitz getting the right people on the bus and then Spitzer et al paying and supporting to keep the staff intact ( minus Monson and eventually Grier), outside mentors helping program (Stockton, Heathcoate, etc)

Flywheel: Today's success as a culmination of years of building this model/ no one defining moment as a flash in the pan, depending on your perspective the breakthrough could be the consecutive NCAA appearances or it could still be waiting to emerge with a final four/national title

Yeah, it's been a great class. I'm assuming you're an alum... what year?

As far as the approach, you and I are on the same page. I'm still in the preliminary stages of gathering sources and trying to figure out how I'll organize it and make it creative (you'll know how that's important :) )

One of the articles posted earlier had some good quotes as far as the "Culture of Discipline" goes, where the coaches teach good and bad decisions, but give the freedom and confidence to 'just play.'

I love the Few quote in another thread about Downs, where he said something along the lines of Gonzaga being a "special place and if you stay it usually ends up well..." I'm not sure how yet, but I bet can use it.

Again thanks for the ideas! This is a great forum that I'm more and more impressed with each day.

Qhall43
04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I graduated way back in 2006, I'm kinda ancient :)

Sounds like you've got a solid start. Let us all know how it ends up or if you need any more ideas

bballguy
04-30-2009, 06:53 PM
All of this information from GU is really great, but you may want to do a little research in your own back yard. In 1976 the University Of Puget Sound was a hot comodity in the DII ranks and won the National Championship (something the bulldogs have yet to achieve ;) ). (Yes that was a LONG TIME AGO) Don Zech was the coach and was also chosen coach of the year for DII. UPS never had the lasting sucess that GU has developed, but we did have a glorious four year run while I was there, ending with that National Championship with several of my fraternity brothers on that National Championship team and my elopment with my wife of 33 years. It couldn't hurt to add in a little local flavor to your term paper. Go Loggers!

Martin Centre Mad Man
05-01-2009, 08:30 AM
There was an excellent article on the rise of the Gonzaga basketball program and its impact on the university in the New York Times. It posted just as the 2002 NCAA Tournament was kicking off. You might have to dig to find it, but it would be a good reference.