PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clear up what is going on re: recruits/scholarships

AzZag
04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
who is signing for sure....who is back next year...what impact schollie wise Daye is making, etc

what are the scenarios for next year's roster

anyone? Bueller, Bueller

thx!

GoZags
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
who is signing for sure....who is back next year...what impact schollie wise Daye is making, etc

what are the scenarios for next year's roster

anyone? Bueller, Bueller

thx!

"Can someone clear up what is going on re: recruits/scholarships?"
-----------------------------
No.

You'll have to watch it unfold with the rest of us.

SLOZag
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
"Can someone clear up what is going on re: recruits/scholarships?"
-----------------------------
No.

You'll have to watch it unfold with the rest of us.

Just like last year, and the year before, and ... .

Mr Vulture
04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Most draft projections have Austin Daye staying in the draft and going mid first round...that would free up a scholarship that way. If he were to come back, which I don't think will happen, there is still the unknown status of Bol Kong which may or may not be handled depending on the source you listen to. Otherwise, someone won't be on scholarship next year that was expected to be...Foster??

JAGzag
04-28-2009, 06:14 PM
I hate to be "that guy" but I have to ask: am I the only one who was more worried about losing Adam than about losing Daye??

snebzag
04-28-2009, 08:14 PM
As far as Scholies are concerned, As BZ states the staff knows. In time we will know. I agree that maybe Big Will will be gone if AD returns. I think a school like CWU in Ellensburg, D-3 would be a good fit. Matt Penocello and Jake Batinger transferred from EWU two years ago to CWU. Will would get minutes and points. As it stands now, he gets the same limited minutes as last year and same limited points. We all like this kid, but reality says move on to playing time if you love the game. Stay if it is for an education.

G.J. Vilariono? God get this kid a nickname. GJ turns to JG then CJ. To hard to say. Say GJ Vilarino three times fast.

thickman1
04-29-2009, 05:11 AM
I hate to be "that guy" but I have to ask: am I the only one who was more worried about losing Adam than about losing Daye??

Nope - you aren't the only one. I'm sure I'll get dinged for this but I don't see what the hype is over Daye. He's a fantastic talent but never really looked like he wanted to be here. Seems to have an eye towards the NBA and if that's the case go ahead and go there.

mainer6
04-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Nope - you aren't the only one. I'm sure I'll get dinged for this but I don't see what the hype is over Daye. He's a fantastic talent but never really looked like he wanted to be here. Seems to have an eye towards the NBA and if that's the case go ahead and go there.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Of course, looks can be deceiving.

wazZag
04-29-2009, 06:35 AM

Nope. I've been able to look at Daye's test of the waters rather objectively.

bartruff1
04-29-2009, 07:25 AM
I hate to be "that guy" but I have to ask: am I the only one who was more worried about losing Adam than about losing Daye?? but there might be a few others.... that was then...this is now...

gamagin
04-29-2009, 07:44 AM

that just won't go away.

I think, as a witness and season tix holder, that much of what you all see on tv and what I/we see in the Kennel or at live games is mostly misinterpreted re AD.

Yes, he's young. Yes, he has a young man's affectations and expressions.

But I believe MOST of what you see is AD getting mad at himself, at making a mistake, the true mark of competitiveness that is heightened and written all over his face.

This is Not, NOT an immature baby who just can't stand it and thus goes into a funk for long periods of time because he was called for a foul or whatever -- even though that element is there, usually very briefly, at times.

If I had a wand, I'd wave it and you wouldn't see his look of disgust 100 times during a game and then see the TV cut away before he hits himself on the chest, noting to his coaches, fellow players and anyone else witnessing the "incident" that he is taking the blame for the misstep; that his anger is at himself; that his disappointment is for making the mistake; that it won't happen again; that resolve that turns a miscue into action.

Instead, those of you in VA and Milwaukee only see the look of disgust, which is run (from the reruns I have seen) over and over until he is branded as a baby and whatever else the imagination can conjure up. He can appear to be a big baby. But one or two minutes of alleged drama out of 40 do not tell you anything about the 38 minutes spent more than compensating for the frustration you see.

What I have seen more times than not, is all that you see, PLUS a young man who shakes off all the crap and hype and everything else he has been tagged with who goes out and puts in an excellent second half or rest of the game.

I saw a guy too light to be a banger nevertheless outrebound his mates many, many times. And a guy block more shots than anyone else over and over. A guy who would shoot the lights out. And a guy who literally patented making the other team mess up over and over on their inbounding. A hustler. A guy who not only blocked many, many shots, but also added a new wrinkle -- blocking and then coming down with the ball, too. Over and over.

In other words, despite the "rap," I have watched a young man quietly, not demonstrably all the time as one might assume from TV, become the second most complete player (behind MB) on the floor, game in and game out, all season long. I think that is what the scouts see, too, or he wouldn't be on anyone's radar if facial expressions were his only strength.

And his stats indicate that is the real story, too, not, NOT the patented grimace that seems to have become his trademark on TV.

If he goes top the bigs, I think GU will greatly miss him. If he stays, I believe we will have an exponentially better team -- with or without the snapshots that only tell a fraction of the story -- that is this incredible athlete's contribution to the Zag program.

I hope he stays and believe he needs more time. But if he goes, I will be saddened to realize we have lost a super athlete who could have achieved greatness at the collegiate level before turning to a long, fruitful, pro career.

Go TEAM Zags

ZagNative
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Beautiful post, Gamagin! Thank you!

CDC84
04-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Maybe Gonzaga should just stop recruiting top 50 high school players and anyone who has any shot of making the NBA? That way if players prove to be imperfect, nobody's high expectations will get destroyed. That way we won't have to meticulously analyze and interpret every single facial expression and minute action on the court under a microscope in order to interpret whether a player is being selfish or not. GU can then just recruit guys who are guaranteed to stay at Gonzaga all four years. That way the guys will play hard all the time, because if they don't, they'll get hammered by Boise State. The Zags can then go back to being a run of the mill non-BCS program and a cinderella darling that loses 9 games a season and absolutely needs to win the postseason tourney title to make the NCAA tournament. And if the Zags don't win the tourney title or qualify but get an adverse seed, we the fans can play victim and say we get less talent and have less advantages than all those other schools. And if GU springs a couple of upsets and makes the sweet 16, we can say we did it "the right way" with nothing but guys who are true "Zag material." Also, if Gonzaga gets close to making the final 4 once every 30 years, we can also celebrate the fact that we did it with true "Zag Material," because we shouldn't expect the program to ever really compete for final 4's and be a national program. Such lofty aspirations are just too dangerous. They can really corrupt one's soul. Man, recruiting all those talented players is a really bad thing. Let's go back to the way things used to be ;)

BobZag
04-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Maybe Gonzaga should just stop recruiting top 50 high school players and anyone who has any shot of making the NBA? That way if players prove to be imperfect, nobody's high expectations will get destroyed. GU can then just recruit guys who are guaranteed to stay at Gonzaga all four years. That way the guys will play hard all the time, because if they don't, they'll get hammered by Boise State. The Zags can then go back to being a run of the mill non-BCS program and a cinderella darling that loses 9 games a season and absolutely needs to win the postseason tourney title to make the NCAA tournament. And if the Zags don't win the tourney title or qualify but get an adverse seed, we the fans can play victim and say we get less talent and have less advantages than all those other schools. And if GU springs a couple of upsets and makes the sweet 16, we can say we did it "the right way" with nothing but guys who are true "Zag material." Also, if Gonzaga gets close to making the final 4 once every 30 years, we can also celebrate the fact that we did it with true "Zag Material," because we shouldn't expect the program to ever really compete for final 4's and be a national program. Such lofty aspirations are just too dangerous. They can really corrupt one's soul. Man, recruiting all those talented players is a really bad thing. Let's go back to the way things used to be ;)

Yes, the good ol' days of Hillock and Fitz where if WSU or Montana started recruiting a kid, Gonzaga would give up and go for another kid. Maybe an all GSL team. Those kids play 169% all game, every game and LOOK like they want to be here...or there...or somewhere! Rah!

Baldwinzag
04-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by CDC84
Maybe Gonzaga should just stop recruiting top 50 high school players and anyone who has any shot of making the NBA? That way if players prove to be imperfect, nobody's high expectations will get destroyed. GU can then just recruit guys who are guaranteed to stay at Gonzaga all four years. That way the guys will play hard all the time, because if they don't, they'll get hammered by Boise State. The Zags can then go back to being a run of the mill non-BCS program and a cinderella darling that loses 9 games a season and absolutely needs to win the postseason tourney title to make the NCAA tournament. And if the Zags don't win the tourney title or qualify but get an adverse seed, we the fans can play victim and say we get less talent and have less advantages than all those other schools. And if GU springs a couple of upsets and makes the sweet 16, we can say we did it "the right way" with nothing but guys who are true "Zag material." Also, if Gonzaga gets close to making the final 4 once every 30 years, we can also celebrate the fact that we did it with true "Zag Material," because we shouldn't expect the program to ever really compete for final 4's and be a national program. Such lofty aspirations are just too dangerous. They can really corrupt one's soul. Man, recruiting all those talented players is a really bad thing. Let's go back to the way things used to be;).

Yes, the good ol' days of Hillock and Fitz where if WSU or Montana started recruiting a kid, Gonzaga would give up and go for another kid. Maybe an all GSL team. Those kids play 169% all game, every game and LOOK like they want to be here...or there...or somewhere! Rah!

I love this board, and especially you two. :) :D

Nevtelen
04-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice posts. Agreed - Austin will make a tremendous difference on next year's squad if he stays and is a quality player all around.

JAGzag
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
But if he goes, I will be saddened to realize we have lost a super athlete who could have achieved greatness at the collegiate level before turning to a long, fruitful, pro career.

I suddenly feel like I pissed in someone's Wheaties with my question. The above sentence was all I was getting at ... at this point Adam was proven, and Daye "could have achieved."

While I didn't comment on Daye's passion, etc. (and wouldn't), some on this board have more inside info when it comes to these kids - you shouldn't get bent out of shape when the rest of us base our opinions on observations.

Angelo Roncalli
04-29-2009, 09:48 AM

GU made it to the Elite 8 in '99 in a "perfect storm" scenario. It was a team with a deep rotation that got better-than-anyone-ever-dreamed-of production from a number of guys, particularly walk-ons like Ryan Floyd, Mark Spink and Mike Nilson. The team got hot at exactly the right time (some of the romantics continually forget that earlier in the season, the '99 team lost a neutral site game to Detroit, lost to Pepperdine on the road, got thumped (75-59) by USD in its old gym, and beat Texas Pan American by a single point). GU was the beneficiary of perfect matchups (Minn, Stanford, Florida) in the NCAA tournament and was also the beneficiary of serious turmoil and misfortune at Minnesota. Some people have the naive notion that GU can return to the Elite 8 if the Zags returned to the '99 formula. Please people.

wazZag
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I suddenly feel like I pissed in someone's Wheaties with my question. The above sentence was all I was getting at ... at this point Adam was proven, and Daye "could have achieved."

I don't think you are the source of ire. A few posts after yours, I think.

GoZags
04-29-2009, 10:02 AM
GU made it to the Elite 8 in '99 in a "perfect storm" scenario. It was a team with a deep rotation that got better-than-anyone-ever-dreamed-of production from a number of guys, particularly walk-ons like Ryan Floyd, Mark Spink and Mike Nilson. The team got hot at exactly the right time (some of the romantics continually forget that earlier in the season, the '99 team lost a neutral site game to Detroit, lost to Pepperdine on the road, got thumped (75-59) by USD in its old gym, and beat Texas Pan American by a single point). GU was the beneficiary of perfect matchups (Minn, Stanford, Florida) in the NCAA tournament and was also the beneficiary of serious turmoil and misfortune at Minnesota. Some people have the naive notion that GU can return to the Elite 8 if the Zags returned to the '99 formula. Please people.

To offer rebuttle to Mark Few's statement below -- The Pontiff does. I certainly do. I'm sure Hondo, El Voce and others do.
-----------

. "Everyone remembers our charmed little run. They don't remember losing at TCU or at San Diego or hitting a three-pointer at the buzzer to beat Texas-Pan American. Nobody remembers that game." Few12/99

thebigsmoove
04-29-2009, 10:49 AM
that just won't go away.

I think, as a witness and season tix holder, that much of what you all see on tv and what I/we see in the Kennel or at live games is mostly misinterpreted re AD.

But I believe MOST of what you see is AD getting mad at himself, at making a mistake, the true mark of competitiveness that is heightened and written all over his face.

This is Not, NOT an immature baby who just can't stand it and thus goes into a funk for long periods of time because he was called for a foul or whatever -- even though that element is there, usually very briefly, at times.

If I had a wand, I'd wave it and you wouldn't see his look of disgust 100 times during a game and then see the TV cut away before he hits himself on the chest, noting to his coaches, fellow players and anyone else witnessing the "incident" that he is taking the blame for the misstep; that his anger is at himself; that his disappointment is for making the mistake; that it won't happen again; that resolve that turns a miscue into action.

Instead, those of you in VA and Milwaukee only see the look of disgust, which is run (from the reruns I have seen) over and over until he is branded as a baby and whatever else the imagination can conjure up. He can appear to be a big baby. But one or two minutes of alleged drama out of 40 do not tell you anything about the 38 minutes spent more than compensating for the frustration you see.

What I have seen more times than not, is all that you see, PLUS a young man who shakes off all the crap and hype and everything else he has been tagged with who goes out and puts in an excellent second half or rest of the game.

I saw a guy too light to be a banger nevertheless outrebound his mates many, many times. And a guy block more shots than anyone else over and over. A guy who would shoot the lights out. And a guy who literally patented making the other team mess up over and over on their inbounding. A hustler. A guy who not only blocked many, many shots, but also added a new wrinkle -- blocking and then coming down with the ball, too. Over and over.

In other words, despite the "rap," I have watched a young man quietly, not demonstrably all the time as one might assume from TV, become the second most complete player (behind MB) on the floor, game in and game out, all season long. I think that is what the scouts see, too, or he wouldn't be on anyone's radar if facial expressions were his only strength.

And his stats indicate that is the real story, too, not, NOT the patented grimace that seems to have become his trademark on TV.

If he goes top the bigs, I think GU will greatly miss him. If he stays, I believe we will have an exponentially better team -- with or without the snapshots that only tell a fraction of the story -- that is this incredible athlete's contribution to the Zag program.

I hope he stays and believe he needs more time. But if he goes, I will be saddened to realize we have lost a super athlete who could have achieved greatness at the collegiate level before turning to a long, fruitful, pro career.

Go TEAM Zags

A Scholar, a Gentleman, a true Zag fan, i commend your writing ability and your ability to make me shed a tear of both happiness that someone sees it like me, and sadness to possibly see such a young talented man leave our beloved program. I am truly impressed and touched!

lothar98zag
04-29-2009, 11:00 AM
lots of 5 star posts in this thread. thanks all! :clap:

UberZagFan
04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
lots of 5 star posts in this thread. thanks all! :clap:

Maybe so but nary a response that even tries to answer the OP.

Mr Vulture
04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
This is off of Chad Fords draft preview on ESPN...these tend to be pretty accurate...I would say Austin coming back is highly unlikely...

Summary: Apr 15 Update: Daye has the talent of a lottery pick, but in two seasons at Gonzaga, he's rarely put it all together and proven to scouts that he should be one. He has a great set of skills for a player his size. He has an all around game and can shoot the basketball, put it on the floor, and attack the basket. However, his lack of physical strength and his passiveness on the court have given scouts pause. He probably has about as wide of a range as any prospect in the draft. He could go anywhere from 10 to 35 on draft night. Workouts will determine where he ultimately falls. But given his upside, I think he probably ends up closer to the lottery than to the second round.

spudzag
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
This is off of Chad Fords draft preview on ESPN...these tend to be pretty accurate...I would say Austin coming back is highly unlikely...

Summary: Apr 15 Update: Daye has the talent of a lottery pick, but in two seasons at Gonzaga, he's rarely put it all together and proven to scouts that he should be one. He has a great set of skills for a player his size. He has an all around game and can shoot the basketball, put it on the floor, and attack the basket. However, his lack of physical strength and his passiveness on the court have given scouts pause. He probably has about as wide of a range as any prospect in the draft. He could go anywhere from 10 to 35 on draft night. Workouts will determine where he ultimately falls. But given his upside, I think he probably ends up closer to the lottery than to the second round.

As much as I hate to see it, I suspect you're right. The staff, and I suspect the rest of the team, knows there will be an open scholorship or they wouldn't have made the recent addition.

zagfan16
04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
i know this is unlikely but is there any chance of a Taylor Rochestie type situation, where a scholarship player turns into a walk on? In a way it is kinda shady and i quickly tired of hearing that one of the Pac 10's best player was a walk on...just a thought

UberZagFan
04-30-2009, 07:14 AM
i know this is unlikely but is there any chance of a Taylor Rochestie type situation, where a scholarship player turns into a walk on? In a way it is kinda shady and i quickly tired of hearing that one of the Pac 10's best player was a walk on...just a thought

Uber is not sure why you think it is "shady" but the difference between a Coug agreeing to give away his schollie and a Zag doing it is about $15K....so less likely to happen at GU.

wazZag
04-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Not necessarily Uber. I think Rochestie had to pay out of state tuition.

UberZagFan
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Not necessarily Uber. I think Rochestie had to pay out of state tuition.

Oh yeah, that's probably true.

thickman1
05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
that just won't go away.

Go TEAM Zags

I hope you're right. I really do. Austin's a special talent and has the right to do whatever is in his best interest. Even if he were to leave for the NBA I believe that GU will be just fine - the growing pains will be just a little more painful for a month or two.

SageOfZagville
05-11-2009, 03:58 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2009&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba draft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2frank%3fdraftyear%3d2009

kylasdad
05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Ive always liked Austin and his smooooothe shot. I can't think of many teams in the NCAA that wouldn't take him next year. Sure I got a bit tired of how much he wears his emotion on his sleeve, however he is good person who wants to win badly (not a bad thing). I know last year he didn't put up all american numbers however he went into the season coming off a bad leg injury and he had 3 really good seniors that ate up a lot of his offensive touches.

I think if Austin comes back he has a huge season. Its really Austin and Matt's team (hopefully gray really steps up too). I know we have a lot of good returning/incoming talent whether or not Austin stays, but you've got to be crazy not to want him back. Austin starts on any team in the NCAA's next year and some of you don't care if he comes back?

I want Austin back and I want him taking the last shot in the E8 to put us into the Final 4!

p.s. I don't blame him if he goes, but I selfishly hope he comes back

MickMick
05-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Gamagin,

You express my views better than I can. You truly are a great contributer to this forum.

Thank You.

Reborn
05-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Gamagin,

You express my views better than I can. You truly are a great contributer to this forum.

Thank You.

Ditto from me gamagin. Thank you for putting it together so eloquently.

zag67
05-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I also have to agree with Gam and those that followed. Wanting to play at a high level and win, means that you do get frustrated when you make errors or do something that should have done better. Each person shows emotion differently and at his age I think that we have seen a great improvement in two years he has been with us.

Yes I hope he comes back, but if not I wish him the best at the next level.

sittingon50
05-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm wondering if some of you forget how Ammo behaved/appeared on court?

hockeyzag
05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm really torn between whether or not Austin should pull a Blake Griffin or not (Come back to better his draft number). Last year Blake was a top 10 pick in some circles, at least top 15. But he came back, worked hard, and had an outstanding year that put him into the lottery as the number one pick.

Do I think Austin could do the same?? I don't know. I don't think he could be the number one pick, but with all this potential everyone talks about you'd think he want to show people he could dominate at the college level, and become at least a top five pick next year and make an even more ridiculous amount of money. Everyone talks about the comparisons to Tayshawn Prince, well Prince dominated at Kentucky, Austin hasn't shown the ability to really do that yet.

But at the same time part of me believes that he's never going to dominate good teams at the college level consistently, mostly because of his body type. And because of that this might be the highest draft position he'll be able to obtain. Get drafted before teams think you might be too soft for the NBA. Maybe being drafted on potential is his best bet.

I feel bad that Pargo probably would've gotten drafted last year but this year he isn't showing on anyone's draft boards. I really hope he gets drafted though, I seriously believe he can play in the NBA. But I wonder if that situation has factored into Daye's decision.