• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baldwinzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Did I count correctly?

Do we conceivably have seven, I'll say it again, SEVEN incoming Freshman on our roster next year? This must be a Gonzaga record for the largest incoming class of all-time. WOW.

Did I miss anybody?

1. Sam Dower (PF)
    2. Elias Harris (SF/F)
    3. Manny Arop (SG)
    4. Grant Gibbs (CG)
    5. Andy Poling (C)
    6. Kelly Olynyk (SF/F)
    7. G.J. Vilarino (PG)

P.S. -> From my understanding, If Bol Kong arrives on campus in May he'll be considered Sophomore standing.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.
  • sdzag
    Kennel Club Alum
    • Feb 2007

I hope that G.J. is the last because I'm not sure if Baldwinzag can count past 7?
    SDZag does not represent the opinions of San Diego just the San Diegians on the Foo!

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post
      Do we conceivably have seven, I'll say it again, SEVEN incoming Freshman on our roster next year? This must be a Gonzaga record for the largest incoming class of all-time. WOW.

Did I miss anybody?

1. Sam Dower (PF)
      2. Elias Harris (SF/F)
      3. Manny Arop (SG)
      4. Grant Gibbs (CG)
      5. Andy Poling (C)
      6. Kelly Olynyk (SF/F)
      7. G.J. Vilarino (PG)

P.S. -> From my understanding, If Bol Kong arrives on campus in May he'll be considered Sophomore standing.
      You understand correctly.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• 7ICoug
        Bulldog Fan
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
        You understand correctly.
        Not really Bob. Andy Polling will be a redshirt Freshman and thius is not an incoming freshman. So only six.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished ....." - John Wooden

Comment

• titopoet
          Zag for Life
          • Apr 2008

Yup, you may have missed another freshman, Alex Schrempf

----
          Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• BobZag
            Dark Lord of the Zag
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by titopoet View Post

http://www.seatownsports.net/2009/04...ht-update.html
            The staff really, really wants Alex to walk on.

Comment

• ZagNative
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by titopoet View Post

http://www.seatownsports.net/2009/04...ht-update.html
              Wow! Alex as a walk on! Hope it happens. For one thing, it would be fun to think about the chance to see his father in the stands. I was a huge fan of Detlef and Christian Welp when they played at UW in te early '80s.

from Bellevue's 23 point, 12 rebound performance in a win over Mt. Si on January 17. 2009 (Seattle Times story)

Getting Alex as a walk on would sure ease the pain of losing Andrew!

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 7ICoug View Post
                Not really Bob. Andy Polling will be a redshirt Freshman and thius is not an incoming freshman. So only six.
                Same could be said of Grant Gibbs. The heart of the matter remains that 2013 could see a mass exodus with potentially 7 schollies becoming vacant all at the same time.
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

As far as I am concerned, Andy and Grant are pure freshmen. They have never played a single second of division one basketball. They are total newcomers. They are just more mature than your average freshman because they are used to being in college, and have been in the program for a year, but until they have played in a real game, they're newcomers.

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Alex's mother was a hurdler on the 1984 German Olympic team so Alex has athletic ability in his blood. She is also stunningly beautiful.

Comment

• Hextall7388
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                      Same could be said of Grant Gibbs. The heart of the matter remains that 2013 could see a mass exodus with potentially 7 schollies becoming vacant all at the same time.
                      I'm not too concerned about a mass exodus in 2013. I'm sure Few will redshirt at least 2 of them to break up the 2013 graduating class (Olynek and ________?), and as we have experienced over the past several years, the odds are that someone will transfer (L.G., P-Mac, Theo Davis) or, hopefully leave early for the NBA. I say "hopefully" because that will mean we have a future star in this recruiting class.

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                        Alex's mother was a hurdler on the 1984 German Olympic team so Alex has athletic ability in his blood. She is also stunningly beautiful.
                        As much as I dislike moving the thread away from hot moms (Stephen Curry anyone?) I do want to point out that much of the '00/'01 season was played with only 2 Zags who'd ever seen the floor before (to go along with 7 newcomers).

The result of all these (7) new Zags? A Sweet 16 loss to Michigan State.

Also, where's ZN when we really need ZN (w/ the photos).
                        sigpic
                        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                        ——-
                        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• skan72
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Apr 2007

Schrempf's wife, Mari Schrempf:

Comment

• skan72
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post

Did I miss anybody?

1. Sam Dower (PF)
                            2. Elias Harris (SF/F)
                            3. Manny Arop (SG)
                            4. Grant Gibbs (CG)
                            5. Andy Poling (C)
                            6. Kelly Olynyk (SF/F)
                            7. G.J. Vilarino (PG)

I know Grant is relatively tall for a guard, but you're giving him the title centre-guard?

I jest.

But you are probably going to see, as has already been mentioned, at least one of these guys, if not more, redshirt.
                            And you always have to take into account injuries that cause medical redshirts - Josh, Rob, etc.

It's definitely a nice class with a wide range of freshman, with points all the way to centres. And even centre-guards!

Comment

• Nevtelen
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by skan72 View Post
                              I know Grant is relatively tall for a guard, but you're giving him the title centre-guard?

I jest.

But you are probably going to see, as has already been mentioned, at least one of these guys, if not more, redshirt.
                              And you always have to take into account injuries that cause medical redshirts - Josh, Rob, etc.

It's definitely a nice class with a wide range of freshman, with points all the way to centres. And even centre-guards!
                              CG is combo-guard, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X