PDA

View Full Version : OT: Finally a Shot Clock for Boys Basketball

BobZag
04-26-2009, 09:03 AM
The WIAA just approved a 35 second shot clock for boys high school basketball in the state of Washington. No more stall tactics that last forever, no more boring four-corners offense...

The girls have been playing with a 30 second shot clock since 1974.

It's good to see the boys finally catch up with the girls.

My opinion.

Radbooks
04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm glad they're finally going to have one too - it's long past due.

I was surprised to read, however, that we'll be only the 7th state to have a shot clock for boys basketball. I would have thought a lot more states would have already switched to that by now.

fedwayzag
04-26-2009, 01:40 PM
BobZag, rarely do I disagree with you, but on this topic I do. I am a basketball traditionalist. It takes a lot of skill to slow down a game and "stall". You must have great ball handling skills and still look for the right opportunity. What has been wrong with b-ball in the USA is we have continued to lack the fundementals (sp), especially dribbling, passing, setting screens and yes even shooting. The move to 35 second shoot does not anything to increase the basic b-ball skills and quite frankly hurts them.

I always watching the skill of b-ball not just the great atheletes involved. A very sad day indeed in my opinion.

23dpg
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Agree with Bob, respectfully disagree with fedwayzag. This has been needed for 30 years IMHO.

BobZag
04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
BobZag, rarely do I disagree with you, but on this topic I do. I am a basketball traditionalist. It takes a lot of skill to slow down a game and "stall". You must have great ball handling skills and still look for the right opportunity. What has been wrong with b-ball in the USA is we have continued to lack the fundementals (sp), especially dribbling, passing, setting screens and yes even shooting. The move to 35 second shoot does not anything to increase the basic b-ball skills and quite frankly hurts them.

I always watching the skill of b-ball not just the great atheletes involved. A very sad day indeed in my opinion.

I understand and I see your point, but... A lack of fundamentals, dribbling, passing, screening, etc., has all been happening without a shot clock.

fedwayzag
04-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Bob, you are absolutely correct about the decline in fundementals without a shot clock. I think a shot clock just helps continue the erosion. I sure hope I am wrong. Basketball will always be on favorite sport, but it seems every year each level (meaning college and high school) are moving to a NBA style game which does not interest me that much.

azzagfan
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I think this affects the east side of the state more than the west side in the 4A/3A world. Aside from a very few east side teams over the past 20 years (Mead with Morrison, Kamiakin in the early 90s), the pace is a bit slower than the leagues that play on the west side of the state.

BobZag
04-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Bob, you are absolutely correct about the decline in fundementals without a shot clock. I think a shot clock just helps continue the erosion. I sure hope I am wrong. Basketball will always be on favorite sport, but it seems every year each level (meaning college and high school) are moving to a NBA style game which does not interest me that much.

Agree 100%.

It's a bit of a mystery to me because the girls have had a shot clock since forever and, yet, the best, most fundamentally sound basketball I watch is women's hoops.

4AmericasTeam
04-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I think this affects the east side of the state more than the west side in the 4A/3A world. Aside from a very few east side teams over the past 20 years (Mead with Morrison, Kamiakin in the early 90s), the pace is a bit slower than the leagues that play on the west side of the state.

Absolutely agree. Seems like some GSL coaches try to be defensive geniouses and keep the scores down in the 40s and 50s. This is a disservice to the kids, IMO. I go to some games and wish they would just let them play basketball. You can still teach all the fundamentals and play more up-tempo, ala 58-0 Ferris over a 2-year period. Maybe the shot clock will help; I don't see it hurting.

duper
04-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree that there should be a shot clock, if for no other reason than its at every other level. I always voted for it. In reality though it won't change much. Most high school teams run college Offensive sets designed to score in 20 sec or less, it will be nice not to see the game go into a stall with 3 min to go. You don't see it often but it does still happen. Probably close to half the Spokane area teams run the Zags "O" or at least scoring plays taken from Zag coaching clinics.

zagco
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Zagco remembers about 25-30 years ago a couple programs in Idaho would run that classic 4-corners offense. Those were painful games to watch.

MBZags
04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow, I didn't even know the girls in WA had a shot clock. Actually, I'd never even heard of a shot clock in high school basketball since I'm from a state where the idea has never really crossed anyone's mind.

mgadfly
04-27-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm glad there is a shot clock, and 35 seconds is fine, but the shorter the clock the less motion offense we'll see and the more isolation, pick and roll, and triangles we'll get. I think that'd be a shame. If I could make the rules I'd set both the girls and boys at 40 seconds allowing teams to choose between the styles, but not allow them to stall for the last four minutes of a game.

This won't impact the HS game here too much since most teams get their shots up in 35 seconds, but we'll slowly see a change in schemes that favor the quick shot which means bigger players won't have to play defense as long. It'll be good for bigger, stronger kids and bad for your marathon running looking guys.