PDA

View Full Version : This Just Kinda Sounds Odd by a Coach

BobZag
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim remains optimistic that he has a top-20 team even without point guard Jonny Flynn. Boeheim said Wednesday that incoming freshman point Brandon Triche will do fine in place of Flynn, saying he will be a solid 10-point, five-assist performer for the Orange next season. He won't look for his shot as much as Flynn, but Boeheim said Triche will feed post players Arinze Onuaku and Rick Jackson more than Flynn did last season. He also said Iowa State transfer Wesley Johnson is an upgrade over departing junior Paul Harris and that Andy Rautins will be just as good, if not better, than departing junior Eric Devendorf in the starting lineup.

"We lost three starters but I'll take Wesley Johnson over Paul Harris and Andy Rautins over Eric Devendorf," Boeheim said. "In some ways, Triche will be better for us. He's really good."

-----------------------

I can understand fans saying such things on message boards or over coffee or beer, but for a coach to go public (Katz's blog) and kinda put down kids in order to build up other kids just strikes me wrong. A frosh PG who I never heard of better than Flynn? Really.

Weird. I really doubt Few would ever say such things.

Thoughts?

CDC84
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
I would be pissed if I were Jonny Flynn. Disloyalty comes to mind. To think of how hard that kid played during that 6 OT game in the BE tourney......Flynn is not only talented, but he's a total gamer.

Devendorf I could care less about....he's a headcase who shouldn't have put his name in the draft. He'll probably go undrafted. Almost anyone is an upgrade over him.

Definitely not a tactful thing for JB to do. Then again, he's always been an odd ball.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
If I were the parent of a recruit, JB's comments would really rub me the wrong way. I'd want my son to play for a coach who will stand up for his players at all costs and at all times... not a coach who'll dismiss their talents and efforts the moment they leave campus.

applezag
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
This was either an intentional slight, Boeheim being too casual with Katz, or Katz using poor judgement in what to print from his conversation with the coach. I agree, just weird.

BobZag
04-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Just imagine the reaction to this:

Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said, "Sam Dower will do better than Josh Heytvelt and Bol Kong is an upgrade from Micah Downs, and Elias Harris is as good, if not better, than Austin Daye." Few continued, "And I'll take Demetri Goodson over Jeremy Pargo."

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1269/126937/470_126937.jpg

CanadianZagFan
04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Harris never reached his hype and Eric is a meat head so could not care less what was said about them, but Flynn will be tough to replace.

JoeZag
04-23-2009, 05:40 AM
I think that Harris and Devendorf were gently 'encouraged to leave' the program by JB. Devendorf had legal issues this year that cast a bad light on Syracuse and Harris never really fit in. Harris is a power forward in a two-guard's body with few if any perimeter skills, but he may get chosen in the second round based on his defense and athleticism. Devendorf has virtually no chance of getting drafted. It is not uncommon for college coaches to periodically 'purge' kids in favor of better recruits. It doesn't mean that the coach is a bad guy necessarily; sometimes things just don't work out the way both parties think they will. It has even happened at Gonzaga, believe it or not, but our staff tries to make sure that the kids have a nice soft place to land (see Tirico(sp),LG,Theo Davis, etc.). Again, it isn't necessarily a bad thing but just the way things work in college ball.

LongIslandZagFan
04-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Jimmy B is an donkey's hindquarters. I have NEVER liked the guy. It is one thing to get the fans excited for the next year, but you don't have to put down the players who got you to the sweet 16 in the process. The only guy I don't feel sorry for is Devendorf... for him this is just karma coming back around.

LongIslandZagFan
04-23-2009, 06:32 AM
... It has even happened at Gonzaga, believe it or not, but our staff tries to make sure that the kids have a nice soft place to land (see Tirico(sp),LG,Theo Davis, etc.)...

True... but was Few out there saying how much better Gray was going to be than Larry or that Sacre was going to be light years better than Davis? It isn't the 'purge' that is wrong, it is the dumb@$$ public comments the Jimmy Beowhine is making.

cbbfanatic
04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Not that surprised by it. Don't see it as that huge a knock on flynn, just noting differences in style and its possible effect on the team.

With harris and devo, well, like I said after the tourney, these two guys were told they would not be welcomed back to the team next year, and as far as I've been told, they were notified before the season was even over, well before it was over in devos case.

Boeheim is what he is. This isn't the first time he's thrown his players under the bus. He is fairly calhoun-like in this regard

cjm720
04-23-2009, 09:52 AM
I think Coach B is posturing to make next year's Big Dance via an at large bid...he wants to start the campaign a bit early this year. :)

justinwalshBIL
04-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I hope people do realize that Andy Rautins IS better than Devendorf for teh 'Cuse. That quote I see more as hyping up their next team than dissing his players. He's treated Paul Harris way better than most coaches would. Been totally supportive of his two kids, let him try and build his schedule around it... And with Flynn, he supported him enough to TELL him to try the draft if it's better for him as a person. And Devendorf? Any coach who puts up with the human trash talk machine is supportive. I honestly don't see THAT much wrong with this. But I admit, I don't see Few saying that.

cbbfanatic
04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Devo (pre-injury anyway) has more dimensions than rautins. Rautins is a stand still shooter, devo was very effective at getting his own shot, whether from 20ft, 12ft or 2ft. Rautins is a solid 3rd-4th option, but I'm not sure I see him being able to be the 1 or 2 option. Wasn't as big in big spots as devendorf also.

Devendorf is a total punk, but the kid can play, I think its a stretch to say rautins is better