• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Nice Story on Jerry Krause in today's The Easterner

The Easterner

Nice story, with a great pic of Coach Krause on the deck of his home overlooking Fish Lake

Self-growth and the pursuit of knowledge
    A 2005 EWU Hall of Fame inductee, Jerry Krause is nationally recognized for his contributions to basketball

Scott Davis, Sports Editor
    Issue date: 4/22/09

Amid a cataclysmic childhood, sports saved Jerry Krause's life, creating a mentor for the ages.

"I grew up in a challenging home," Krause said. "My mother died when I was 7 days old, my dad committed suicide when I was 4. I grew up with an emotionally abusive aunt, and my uncle was an alcoholic." Krause grew up in Fremont, Neb.

Despite the domestic abuse, Krause blossomed steadily. "My family became sports. I was saved by coaches and teachers who took interest in my life and [who] were positive difference makers," he said.

Krause reciprocated his mentors' contributions in 1967, receiving a Ph.D. from Northern Colorado University and becoming an educator and 17-year Hall of Fame coach at Eastern Washington University.

Currently the director of basketball operations at Gonzaga, research chair of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and long-standing member of the NCAA Rules Committee, Krause is also the most published author in basketball history. Of his 33 books and 40 instructional DVDs, the book "Basketball Skills and Drills" is the most widely-used fundamentals manuscript in the world.
    "The proudest moments are always when you learn of your former players' successes in life. Their lives become part of your life, so when you hear their successes and their sorrows, you have integrated yourself and made a positive impact on them," Krause said.

Krause believes that success is rooted in failure and follows the motto "never stop learning." "Serve others," he said. "It really isn't about you. It's funny, everything starts with you and your unique talents, but really, you've got to give it back eventually because we will all be gone some day."
    • Nov 2007

Wow: "...Krause is also the most published author in basketball history. Of his 33 books and 40 instructional DVDs, the book "Basketball Skills and Drills" is the most widely-used fundamentals manuscript in the world."

Impressive to say the least. We're lucky to have our own Coach K.

Go Zags!!
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

Working...
    X