PDA

View Full Version : OT: McCarthey Athletic Center usage

lothar98zag
04-22-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm curious. Hopefully the recent/current students and locals can help me out with this.

In it's brief history, what has the MAC been used for?

The few obvious things I know of are:
Basketball, men's & women's
Graduation
Summer Basketball Camps

Also, I think Bill Cosby performed there. Is that right?

What else?

rdulay8
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
last year - Josh Blue comedy show, Ben Folds 5 concert
year before - Guster Concert
year before that - Yellowcard concert

Angelo Roncalli
04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Death Cab for Cutie concert coming up this Friday night...

BobZag
04-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Hondo and I will be at the Womens Basketball Banquet Sunday in K2. Does that count? :D

gu03alum
04-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Gel weekend's opening ceremonies were held there last Saturday.

KStyles
04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
last year - Josh Blue comedy show, Ben Folds 5 concert
year before - Guster Concert
year before that - Yellowcard concert

Jeff Foxworthy also came during family weekend in 2006

EL MUSTACIO
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
There was a switchfoot concert in there a few years ago...

CB4
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Outside has been used as a pre game filming area for ESPN gameday before they head down from the home court to the Spokane Arena for the game.

4AmericasTeam
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Wine and Cheese parties on basketball game nights:p

IdahoZagFan
04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
The MAC Center has been used for other special events. It was used for the Men's Basketball Banquet as well as for the Women's Basketball Banquet.

We attended a graduation ceremony there a couple of years ago.

Also, it has been used for the Ignatian Gala dinner and program to honor the recipient of the Ignatian Spirit Award.

This year the MAC will also be used for a special lunch event to celebrate Father Spitzer.

It is amazing how versatile the MAC is! It can rock with an athletic event, provide a place for a speaker or graduation, or be reasonably sophisticated for a banquet. A great addition to G.U.'s campus!

VaBeachZAG
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
The only uses of the MAC I am aware of are what I see in this thred. However, based on this information it seems the MAC might be a bit underutilized and could be used to generate considerable income for the University. I understand the University's desire to host events consistent with the school's values and traditions (precisely why it refused state funding and the the loss of control over the MAC that funding would have necessitated). Still, it would be nice to get some more revenue flow from that facility.