• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nevtelen
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Elias Harris articles

Messaging with ZN, I got the bug to get some more info on Elias and my wondeful, amazing, fantastic, sweet, and lovely wife who is a fluent German-speaker tracked down a ton. She summarized the important parts of two articles about Elias, one from last summer (June 2008) and the other from this January. For enquiring minds that want to know. Not a lot of really specific info on Harris, but some interesting bits. My wife wanted me to include the caveat that, despite the fact she watches GU with me, she's not really a basketball person so might not have gotten some of the technical phrasing exactly right in translation.

http://www.aktuell-sport.de/html.php...d/11164/rub/76

June 2008

His parents love bball, too. He started playing at 8 and since then he’s wanted to be in the NBA – he wants to be like Jordan and Magic. One of the biggest talents in Germany, but he still needs to train and develop to get to the NBA. He’s very goal-oriented and trains every day to learn new techniques.

He’s unstoppable driving to the basket because of his explosive leaping ability and speed. He seems much better than any other players because of those qualities. He plays center (PF??) and wing, which gives him enough open space for ‘spontaneous artwork’ at the basket. This impresses the fans and increases his confidence, though he doesn’t let his talent make him arrogant because he knows that he has a long road in front of him to get better. He’s the best player on his team. His motto is ‘live your dream and enjoy the day’. He always tries to stay cool but keep his eyes on his goals and do whatever he needs to do to reach his goals, even the NBA.

Feb 8th 2009

Harris was the player of month for the second time in January. He is also preparing to take the test to pass high school and he has already been thinking about going to college in the U.S. In Jan, he averaged 18.2 points and 10.4 rebounds a game. He’s glad of this because he wants to leave his home country when he is at the top of his game.

Until last summer, he played PF most of the time, but these days he’s been playing the wing since he has an eye towards his future. He plays the wing well. His coach says that with his athleticism, he’s also dangerous from the outside (not sure if this means 3-pt shooting or driving from the perimiter or both). Elias adapted to the speed of the smaller, faster wings well through his excellent foot-work and his very developed anticipation of what other players will do. This allows him to make simple passes using his height advantage, but he also knows how to stop drives to the basket well.

With his 2 M height, he’s definitely more of a 3. The coach of the National team (Bauermann) also realizes this. He’s a potential national team member, which is hwy Bauermann trains with him weekly in Heidelberg. He said Elias has a very developed feel for the game. Earlier, Bauermann said, he had the classic problem for a big in that he always wanted to go to the basket, but now they’re working on helping him expand his repertoire. This means that Harris is learning to react more flexibly on defense so he can stop his opponents in different ways. He needs to react faster to his opponent. Bauermann said that for Elias, it’s indispensible that he is challenged on as high a level as possible.

The next level is supposed to be a college in the U.S. Harris just signed his letter of intent with Gonzaga. The last obstacles are a language exam and the question, based on NCAA regulations, whether he would have to sit out for a year. Bauermann said he sees a good chance that Elias won’t have to sit out because he currently plays with Speyer, which doesn’t have any paid foreign players who would fall into the NCAA definition of paid professionals.
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Kudos to Nev and Mrs. Nev. Definately a "nice find."
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• TheZagPhish
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thank you! Man, I can't wait to see this guy.
      Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• lothar98zag
        PostPadder General
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
        Kudos to Nev and Mrs. Nev. Definately a "nice find."
        +1

but...

...The last obstacles are a language exam and the question, based on NCAA regulations, whether he would have to sit out for a year. Bauermann said he sees a good chance that Elias won’t have to sit out because he currently plays with Speyer, which doesn’t have any paid foreign players who would fall into the NCAA definition of paid professionals...
        ugh...someone tell me this isn't an issue...quick...
        youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Nev, thanks to you and Mrs. Nev! Nice job!

Comment

• CanadianZagFan
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Jul 2008

So he is a tad under 6'7".....I guess we will see a power 3 finesse 4.

Comment

• hockeyzag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Jul 2007

BZ said yesterday that he was 6'8"?
              "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
              -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• cjm720
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

Awesome, thanks Nev!

I love the goal oriented attitude! Can't wait to see his hustle in the game!

Go Zags!
                Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

6'7"-6'8".......young and growing. With his leaping skills, he's beginning to sound like Casey....but a good shooter too. Sounds like the staff found a gem.

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by lothar98zag View Post
                    +1

but...

ugh...someone tell me this isn't an issue...quick...
                    No paid foreign players, especially American, is the key. It's all good.
                    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• lothar98zag
                      PostPadder General
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                      No paid foreign players, especially American, is the key. It's all good.
                      that's what I'm thinking/hoping, but I'd feel better if it wasn't mentioned at all...
                      youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

way to go Nev, and Nev's better half! That was excellent. Sounds like another kid with talent who also works hard. Have to admit the hype w/ Elias has got me all goo goo.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Comment

• 23dpg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Maybe this guy is right.

Made in germany (you know the germans always make good stuff), you will be saying wow everytime.
                          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2008

oh man, that pic made me bust

Comment

• Reborn
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

[QUOTE=Nevtelen;425148] He plays center (PF??) and wing, which gives him enough open space for ‘spontaneous artwork’ at the basket. This impresses the fans and increases his confidence, though he doesn’t let his talent make him arrogant because he knows that he has a long road in front of him to get better. He’s the best player on his team. His motto is ‘live your dream and enjoy the day’."

"Spontaneous artwork." I love that discription, and it does conjur up memories of Magic Johnson and Michael Jordon. I also really like this qoute, "he doesn't let his talent make him arrogant." And, "because he knows he has a long road in front of him to get better." I see a lot of humility in him and I do see some Casey Calvary. Wouldn't that be nice? Rebuilding the '99 team: Meeche=Quintin Hall; GJ=Santangelo?; Harris=Calvary. Who will be Richie Frahm? I still think Steven Gray has the potential, but he really does need to begin to show that he can consistently make those 3's like Richie did. Gray has been way too sporadic and inconsistent in his shooting. Yes he has big games. NOW AND THEN. Who is the new gunslinger going to be? Will it be Arop? Gibbs?
                              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X