PDA

View Full Version : Run!!!

BobZag
04-21-2009, 09:46 AM
I see the Zags running more than ever next season, especially at the start of the season when the staff hasn't yet had the practice time to install a lot of offense with all the newcomers.

Few has had a tendancy to glean the things he liked in the NCAAs and make them an emphasis the following year(s), such as rebounding after the 2001 loss to Sparty. I believe he was rather impressed by North Carolina's running style, and Zag fans will see more of that next season.

But the exciting part, to me, is the personnel the staff now has to run with:

Meech: will run and push tempo all game long.
Bouldin: loves to get out on the break and run.
Gray: loves to run, spot up for 3 or drive it.
Sacre: runs exceptionally well for a man his size.
Elias: loves to run.
Kong: runs like the wind, can be showtime.
Arop: see Kong.
Dower: glides down the court, and fast.
Gibbs: loves uptempo ala Stepp.
Poling: possibly the slowest but by no means a snail.
Olynyk: can run similar to Josh and/or Micah.

I saw Few give a young, inexperienced Zag team the greenlight to run like hell when Matt was a frosh and Pargo a soph vs Baylor and Rice in the Spokane Arena (Preseason NIT) before beating Carolina in MSG. I will be surprised not to see the same thing in Maui next Thanksgiving.

Let's assume that Daye bolts for the draft. The fact that Harris is now 6-8 and built like a brick house makes him a legit power forward type:

PG - Goodson, 30 MPG
SG/PG - Bouldin, 32 MPG
SF/SG - Gray, 26 MPG
PF - Harris, 32 MPG
C - Sacre, 24 MPG

PG/SG - Gibbs, 8 MPG
SG - Arop, 8 MPG
SF - Kong, 20 MPG
PF/C - Poling, 12 MPG
C/PF - Dower, 8 MPG

= 200 minutes

Redshirt Olynyk, Foster provides depth and specialty minutes. Give the 13th scholie to a walk-on, or give it to Guy-Marc Michel in December and redshirt him.

Gonzaga has the makings of a nice 10-man rotation. Plenty to run with! I think as long as the staff can get Arop and Dower around 8 MPG each, you can't redshirt either player, especially with Daye (assuming) gone. I want depth for injuries. What I particularly like is Kong backing up Gray. He will push Steven. If Gray starts being inconsistent, Kong takes more of his PT.

And there you go: The Runnin' Zags of Boone Avenue.

theirishzag03
04-21-2009, 10:06 AM
I sure see Arop and Dower getting more than 8 min/game. If Few does learn from the tourney and implement strategy, I hope he cuts some of the 32min/game numbers to just under 30 and get some of the 8min/game up into the 12 range. I also see Austin back next year, unless he found out where Tony Mandarich is working out and gets on his fast track program.

I am excited already about next year and the running-uptempo-athletic style of play we should see. Sacre should really change the dynamics of our team! A true post and a bigtime presence under the basket on both ends.

How many nights until Midnight Madness??? Somebody put up a countdown meter!

Mr Vulture
04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I think you are on point for the most part...question is whether Kong is officially coming or not. Assuming that he is...I think you'd see the breakdown more like this.

Meech - 30 minutes
Bouldin - 30 minutes
Gray - 25 minutes
Harris - 20 minutes
Sacre - 20 minutes

Gibbs - 20 minutes
Kong - 20 minutes
Arop - 20 minutes
Poling - 15 minutes

I would agree that Foster would get some minutes here and there. I think you redshirt Dower and Olynyk since the time they would get would likely not be worth the burning of the redshirt. I don't see Harris getting more than 20 minutes on average since Few doesn't typically play Freshmen extended minutes. If Kong and Daye are gone then I think Dower plays. Should both Daye and Kong play next season, then I think its a lock that Dower redshirts, Harris or Gray come off the bench, and Poling/Arop/Kong lose minutes...

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I would absolutely love to see Austin come back for his junior season, but I also like the idea of the new guys getting substantial minutes right out of the gate. One might say that it's win-win situation.

My first thought was that a young team playing an up-tempo style could lead to some high turnover counts. But then I remembered that the Zags will still have a junior and senior in our starting backcourt, and I felt much better. Can't wait to see it! Is it November yet???

cjm720
04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
I love the post BZ!

I see Gray getting more PT. He has complete game, and I have a hard time believing he won't see the second most minutes on the squad (even with Daye). I remember all the doubters in Bouldin's game betweeen sophomore and Junior season.

Not sure if Foster will see the floor next year, we just have too much talent and depth.

GO ZAGS!!!

CDC84
04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Harris is no ordinary freshman. He's physically and mentally mature beyond his years. Perhaps more than any freshman Zag in recent memory. He's almost like a juco kid. He will have to get used to the Gonzaga offensive system though....that could take some time. I expect his minutes to increase more and more as the season moves along. But I think his situation is different from the typical freshman who is 18, weighs 160 pounds, and who is used to dominating U.S. high school basketball competition based on athleticism alone.

I think it's a mistake to redshirt Dower unless Daye returns. If Poling, Sacre or Harris go out for any length of time with an injury, Gonzaga will face a situation like they had this year with only two big men in the regular rotation. I want as much depth as possible at the 4 and 5. Even if Dower only gets 8 MPG, he'll be sharp enough to step in and take up more time if necessary. I also like Dower because he gives Gonzaga a guy who will at least battle on the glass. Better rebounding should be GU's #1 area for improvement this offseason. They have to stop getting killed on the offensive glass.

Steven Gray better come out firing on all cylinders in each game he plays in. He's got guys on the bench who can take his minutes. I am hoping that the increased competition will drive him to new and more consistent heights.

BobZag
04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Steven will go from underclassman to upperclassman. More will be expected from him. I'm confident he will respond. But Kong (and Arop and even Gibbs) will be more than happy to take away PT from Steven.

Last season Micah responded nicely when Few started Gray ahead of him. Micah won back the starting spot.

Gray needs that same mindset. I'm sure that competitive nature is in him. I hope he does.

gamagin
04-21-2009, 12:22 PM
thanks

DawgZag
04-21-2009, 01:19 PM
If we do have a 10 man rotation (yikes!), in addition to running, we should do a lot of full-court press.

siliconzag
04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I see the Zags running more than ever next season, especially at the start of the season when the staff hasn't yet had the practice time to install a lot of offense with all the newcomers.

Few has had a tendancy to glean the things he liked in the NCAAs and make them an emphasis the following year(s), such as rebounding after the 2001 loss to Sparty. I believe he was rather impressed by North Carolina's running style, and Zag fans will see more of that next season.

But the exciting part, to me, is the personnel the staff now has to run with:

Meech: will run and push tempo all game long.
Bouldin: loves to get out on the break and run.
Gray: loves to run, spot up for 3 or drive it.
Sacre: runs exceptionally well for a man his size.
Elias: loves to run.
Kong: runs like the wind, can be showtime.
Arop: see Kong.
Dower: glides down the court, and fast.
Gibbs: loves uptempo ala Stepp.
Poling: possibly the slowest but by no means a snail.
Olynyk: can run similar to Josh and/or Micah.

I saw Few give a young, inexperienced Zag team the greenlight to run like hell when Matt was a frosh and Pargo a soph vs Baylor and Rice in the Spokane Arena (Preseason NIT) before beating Carolina in MSG. I will be surprised not to see the same thing in Maui next Thanksgiving.

Let's assume that Daye bolts for the draft. The fact that Harris is now 6-8 and built like a brick house makes him a legit power forward type:

PG - Goodson, 30 MPG
SG/PG - Bouldin, 32 MPG
SF/SG - Gray, 26 MPG
PF - Harris, 32 MPG
C - Sacre, 24 MPG

PG/SG - Gibbs, 8 MPG
SG - Arop, 8 MPG
SF - Kong, 20 MPG
PF/C - Poling, 12 MPG
C/PF - Dower, 8 MPG

= 200 minutes

Redshirt Olynyk, Foster provides depth and specialty minutes. Give the 13th scholie to a walk-on, or give it to Guy-Marc Michel in December and redshirt him.

Gonzaga has the makings of a nice 10-man rotation. Plenty to run with! I think as long as the staff can get Arop and Dower around 8 MPG each, you can't redshirt either player, especially with Daye (assuming) gone. I want depth for injuries. What I particularly like is Kong backing up Gray. He will push Steven. If Gray starts being inconsistent, Kong takes more of his PT.

And there you go: The Runnin' Zags of Boone Avenue.

I feel like Michael Corleone. No matter what I do, they keep draggin me back into it. I have often felt that one of the biggest failings of the past two years is the sluggish movement in transition, and setting up. Sometimes it appeared as though we wanted to have the defense of our opponents set, just to make it a fair match.

Sili

realtydog
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM
I would like to have him back--but the rotation Bob puts up will be fine with me---I would agree with the minutes played

MDABE80
04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
It'll be close as to whether Austin comes back. Weak draft and he's got all the potential. He might be a first rounder.not a lottery but 1st round. If that means enough to him, he'll try the NBA. Me...I'd like to see him get close to a degree if he runs. Still hasn't shown solid college dominance. How could he fit in the NBA? Not sure. Finanaces must matter.....and they do.

jpwils
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Since our freshman class is so athletic and long....why not press a bit more this year and give different looks on the press?

Kong, Arop, Dower, and even Harris (whether Daye returns or not) lend
credence to this approach. Even have a pressing team come in for 1/5-1/3 of the total game at different intervals.

This might allow even more of an up-tempo approach and give us an extra boost on offense at the beginning of the year.

Looking forward to seeing the Zags continue to be ranked in the Top 20
and reach Sweet Sixteen again. Expectations should be less but this team may be our most athletic yet.

BobZag
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
It will be interesting to see if Few starts the season 3000 miles away in West Virginia for a big ESPN game, or if he opts for a traditonal start of guarantee games in K2 that basically give the Zags some good practice. Either way, I still see this young team running, running, running.

With the three Maui games coming after two or three games (likely in K2), I believe the team has a good chance at winning its second preseason tourney in as many years.

Gonzaga versus Colorado, or Cincinnati, or Maryland, or Wisconsin, or Chaminade, or Arizona, or Vanderbilt does not extactly strike fear into me. The Zags can beat any of them. No Michigan States or UConns in that bunch.

Back to the team:

I feel as long as Meech is at the helm, the other players have two choices: 1) run with Meech, or 2) be left in the dust.

zagco
04-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Jerry Tarkanian said the key to winning games is to make your opponent play at a pace that it is not comfortable playing. Normally, that probably means faster, but he said that sometimes the opposite is true. His clubs were always supremely conditioned and reputedly put through the hardest practices and workouts in the land.

NotoriousZ
04-21-2009, 05:07 PM
It will be interesting to see if Few starts the season 3000 miles away in West Virginia for a big ESPN game, or if he opts for a traditonal start of guarantee games in K2 that basically give the Zags some good practice. Either way, I still see this young team running, running, running.

With the three Maui games coming after two or three games (likely in K2), I believe the team has a good chance at winning its second preseason tourney in as many years.

Gonzaga versus Colorado, or Cincinnati, or Maryland, or Wisconsin, or Chaminade, or Arizona, or Vanderbilt does not extactly strike fear into me. The Zags can beat any of them. No Michigan States or UConns in that bunch.

Back to the team:

I feel as long as Meech is at the helm, the other players have two choices: 1) run with Meech, or 2) be left in the dust.

Should be a very entertaining season...again! Run rabbit run!!! Can you imagine getting a four seed or better and playing in our home town in the NCAA's?!? I know, I know, we gotta play the games first, and before that, the season has to start. The new guys are going to have to gel quickly if we're going to get the good seed...Few can do it!!! Nice post BZ, Go Zags!

MickMick
04-21-2009, 06:03 PM
With respect to running,

That was Josh's forte. When I look at replays, I would estimate that Josh scored 75% of his "points in the paint" by simply outrunning the other bigs down the floor. Once the defense was set, he rarely scored under the basket with the exception of a few well placed lobs by Bouldin, Pargo, and Gray.

Other than making that point about Josh, I would agree that the Zags are set to run. My only concern is that the higher pace leads to more turnovers (similar to a pitch offense in football will inherently create more turnovers).

The Zags need great passing to effectively run. More importantly they need defensive rebounding followed by an excellent outlet pass to start the break.
If the Zags are going to run, who would you suggest is best suited in that role?

LynetteG
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Best thread I have read in a while! Thanks BZ!

bballbeachbum
04-21-2009, 07:58 PM
With respect to running,

The Zags need great passing to effectively run. More importantly they need defensive rebounding followed by an excellent outlet pass to start the break.
If the Zags are going to run, who would you suggest is best suited in that role?

right on Mick, thinking the same things. I think we'll pass well...Meech and Matt set a nice tone for all there in decision making.

So the other part...Running means defense and rebounding.

Got to own the paint to run. Got to make them miss a lot so owning the paint matters, and turnovers = dunks.

So who? rebounding the 3 ball can be an instant fast break, so the guards/wings rebounding the long misses is key; reading about Arop's attitude on this, and what we're hearing re. Kong makes me think we could hurt teams here, and Matt and Steven are better and better at this.

But Robert has got an opportunity in front of him I think, to set the tone down there in the paint, set a tone that's uncomfortable for others inside, make them miss, then grab the board.

Outlet!

can't wait to see Harris, too

Man I'm psyched...in April!!!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Zag79
04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I would absolutely love to see Austin come back for his junior season, but I also like the idea of the new guys getting substantial minutes right out of the gate. One might say that it's win-win situation.
losing your best overall player for next season would NOT be a win-win, thats for sure. anyone who thinks this team would be better off without him is crazy. great players coming in, but daye is the center piece.

CDC84
04-22-2009, 07:52 AM
A 10 man rotation could be a major advantage for GU at the Maui Invitational where teams play 3 games in 3 days.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-22-2009, 08:25 AM
anyone who thinks this team would be better off without him is crazy. great players coming in, but daye is the center piece.

Agreed. But even if Austin goes pro next year, the new guys will have a chance to get substantial minutes earlier on in their GU careers, which will hopefully lead to even better play when they're juniors and seniors.

BobZag
04-22-2009, 09:33 AM
With respect to running,

That was Josh's forte. When I look at replays, I would estimate that Josh scored 75% of his "points in the paint" by simply outrunning the other bigs down the floor. Once the defense was set, he rarely scored under the basket with the exception of a few well placed lobs by Bouldin, Pargo, and Gray.

Other than making that point about Josh, I would agree that the Zags are set to run. My only concern is that the higher pace leads to more turnovers (similar to a pitch offense in football will inherently create more turnovers).

Zag bigs Sacre, Poling, Dower, Elias, et al, have to look for the quick outlet, but Elias has the speed and handles to grab it and go, leading a fastbreak. If any wings or guards get a rebound, first thought has to be what's the quickest way to advance this ball downcourt to the hoop or a spot-up shooter, ala North Carolina. Meech gives this team some of the same elements Lawson gave UNC, sans the sharp-shooting, but certainly in regards to speed. Matt gives the Zags excellent passing, decision-making and can spot-up or drive it.