PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith is falling off in Rivals' eyes.

skan72
04-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Josh Smith has apparently lost his spot at number one in the 2010 rankings (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=937203) according to Rivals.com:

And three Canadian prospects get a mention, one as being able to take over that number one spot, and two others as being top points in the 2010 class...

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.- After Josh Smith's subpar showing last weekend, the door has opened for the No. 1 spot in the 2010 rankings. A handful of players, including Brandon Knight, are pushing to get through that door.

Tristan Thompson (Grassroots Canada) Thompson's body is improving as well. He is up to 228-pounds and is figuring out how to effectively throw that added weight around. The lefty is also consistently making plays with his right hand. Developing his off hand has been a focus, and the work is paying off.

Cory Joseph (Grassroots Canada) This heady playmaker continues to take his game to higher levels. We knew the skill level and feel for the game was there and now we know that there is a healthy dose of athleticism to his game. Simply put, Joseph is making a claim to being one of the top point guards in the class.

Myck Kabongo (Grassroots Canada) Kabongo was all over the court defensively making plays and has a penchant for getting into the lane. His long range shot is coming along.

BroncoZAG615
04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Rick Barnes got a nice little pipeline with that Grassroots Canada team. He's already got commits from Kabongo and Thompson. Joseph sounds outstanding though, my favorite of the bunch.

75Zag
04-19-2009, 04:04 PM
If Smith is no longer a hot commodity, I would be glad to have GU sign him up as "damaged goods". In fact, I would gladly trade any 3 current or incoming GU players for the damaged Mr. Smith. I have seen him play twice in high school and 4 - 5 times in AAU ball, and he looks like a hell of an NBA player who needs a college home for a year or two while he loses some weight and gains a half-step in speed.

GU needs a big to go to the Elite 8 and beyond. Hoping Dower will grow 3 inches this summer and put on 30 pounds of muscle. Otherwise, hoping that GU staff keeps looking for the monster that can get us to the next level. Hey Josh, the pizza at Pete's is world class! Mmmmm.

Go Bulldogs!

saintzag
04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Agree 100% Zag 75. Get Josh now!

ZagNative
04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Regarding Josh, I was amused to note that today Scout shows him with "low interest" (http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010) for the Zags in his school list, and yet just a few days ago, Rivals (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=934476)said of him,
School Lists

Josh Smith- The big fellow said he is truly wide open and that he doesn't have a leader or even a top three. The reported school list of Washington, UCLA and Louisville is the list of the schools who were recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Smith rattled off Duke, North Carolina, Gonzaga, Texas and Ohio State as other schools of interest. He also said he is willing to play anywhere and is not a lean to stay on the west coast.I'm not holding my breath, but I think Josh would be a heck of a lot of fun to see play for the Zags.

bartruff1
04-19-2009, 06:55 PM
but I like to see players come to Gonzaga not because they are "recruited" or even convinced but because they want to come here..

skan72
04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Um, I would take Josh being recruited if that is what it takes.

bigblahla
04-20-2009, 05:25 AM
GU needs a big to go to the Elite 8 and beyond. Hoping Dower will grow 3 inches this summer and put on 30 pounds of muscle. Otherwise, hoping that GU staff keeps looking for the monster that can get us to the next level.

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that Rob Sacre will be more than man enough in the middle for GU if the injury bug stays away. Defensively I think Rob will be a presence this coming season but his offense might be one to two years away from what might be a dominate performance in the paint.

I look at Rob and he has the tools, though unrefined, the skill set, body and athleticism are all there. Time on the court will tell if my faith in big Rob is justified. I believe it is and in Rob I believe there is an inner strength that will help lead the Zags to heights never reached by any previous team.

Go!! Zags!!!

CDC84
04-20-2009, 08:19 AM
but I like to see players come to Gonzaga not because they are "recruited" or even convinced but because they want to come here..

I would like to think that too, but unfortunately, that is not how the recruiting world works. If you don't try to recruit or convince a player to come to your program, you will have very few if any decent players, because almost every single coach around you is doing the opposite. Even Roy Williams at North Carolina has to work hard to convince players why they should come to his program. There are competing coaches everywhere who are constantly pointing out to players why they shouldn't commit to this program or that program. This is especially the case for kids who are out of state. Matt Bouldin or Austin Daye or Meech Goodson would not be Zags right now if Few wasn't successful at convincing them that despite GU's conference affiliation, despite the fact that GU is a long ways from home, despite the fact that it is harder for non-BCS teams to win national titles, etc....Gonzaga is the place to be.

Every program has weaknesses. Even the factory schools. You can bet your bottom dollar that when GU recruited Deon Thompson, they pointed out to him why if he went to school X or school Y he would probably be recruited over, he would see less minutes, he wouldn't get as many touches, etc. It's not enough to just show a kid your campus, introduce him to your players, etc. That's what Tubby Smith tried to do at Kentucky, and it led to UK going through a recruiting slump that damaged the program for several years. They are still trying to get out of the mess, but appear to be on the right path now. Even the biggest of programs can falter if they have coaches who don't aggressively recruit. If you are a college basketball coach on the recruiting trail you have to sell your program just like a business salesmen in a highly competitive field. There is a lot of competition out there because more athletic programs (especially at the BCS level) are taking basketball seriously than ever before.

MickMick
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that Rob Sacre will be more than man enough in the middle for GU if the injury bug stays away. Defensively I think Rob will be a presence this coming season but his offense might be one to two years away from what might be a dominate performance in the paint.

I look at Rob and he has the tools, though unrefined, the skill set, body and athleticism are all there. Time on the court will tell if my faith in big Rob is justified. I believe it is and in Rob I believe there is an inner strength that will help lead the Zags to heights never reached by any previous team.

Go!! Zags!!!

Nice post. Rob has the body and toughness to get it done. I look for him to step up nicely.