PDA

View Full Version : Interim President appointed

kitzbuel
04-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Dr Thayne McCulloch has been appointed to be the interim university president. I wish the Board could find a President, but Thayne, one of my classmates, will do a great job.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/about/mcculloh/

BTW, Thayne will be the only other non-Jesuit besides Harry Sladich to be the President of Gonzaga.

LongIslandZagFan
04-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Yes... also a classmate of mine... he should do great. Congrats Thayne!

webspinnre
04-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I've got nothing against Dr. McCulloch, but I wish they could actually put together an effective search for a replacement.

lothar98zag
04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
I've got nothing against Dr. McCulloch, but I wish they could actually put together an effective search for a replacement.
I don't think you can really say the search wasn't effective when they appear to have properly evaluated all the candidates. Is it the searchers fault they didn't find an acceptable replacement? http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8174/shrug.gif

webspinnre
04-20-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't think you can really say the search wasn't effective when they appear to have properly evaluated all the candidates. Is it the searchers fault they didn't find an acceptable replacement? http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8174/shrug.gif

I guess I'm thinking that if they didn't think they'd find an acceptable replacement, they probably shouldn't have run off Fr. Spitzer so quickly. I guess I view this kind of like the colleges that fire their coaches, only to realize that they just fired their best option, and then spend months finding a lesser option.

lothar98zag
04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I guess I'm thinking that if they didn't think they'd find an acceptable replacement, they probably shouldn't have run off Fr. Spitzer so quickly. I guess I view this kind of like the colleges that fire their coaches, only to realize that they just fired their best option, and then spend months finding a lesser option.
not going to argue with that.

gu03alum
04-21-2009, 09:27 AM

I'm pretty sure that Father Spitzer wanted to pursue some other goals and wanted to move on. Also, I don't think you can view Thayne McCulloh as a lesser option. He will make a great interim president at Gonzaga just as he has been a great interim academic vice president.

Zagstad
04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
He stalled the Oregon Province administration as long as he could before they told him flat out that he was out. The Board of Trustees begged the Oregon Province to leave Spitzer as President of GU, and basically the Oregon Province told them to go jump in the lake.

webspinnre
04-21-2009, 11:32 AM
He stalled the Oregon Province administration as long as he could before they told him flat out that he was out. The Board of Trustees begged the Oregon Province to leave Spitzer as President of GU, and basically the Oregon Province told them to go jump in the lake.

Yep, that's what happened.

Fr. Spitzer will land on his feet - he's got plenty of things he's involved with, so I'm not worried about him. I'm worried about the fact that GU lost one of the most effective presidents they've ever had, basically because the Oregon Province thought he was too "Catholic" for the job.

gu03alum
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
This is from an email that Father Spitzer sent out on April 14th regarding his future plans.

A few years ago a group of long-time supporters of my work in the areas of faith and reason and ethical leadership offered me an opportunity to significantly increase my publications and to reach audiences exceeding 100,000 people per year with a new interactive conferencing technology. The prospect seemed very exciting to me, but I was hesitant to accept it because I was uncertain about its actualization, and I was reticent to leave the Gonzaga community that I dearly love. Nevertheless, over the course of two years, everything started to fall into place (thanks in good part to the Holy Spirit and the generosity of the projects’ underwriters). The underwriters were willing to support not only my salary, but full-time secretarial assistance, marketing assistance, office space, and technology, which would not only allow me to publish several long-delayed books but also to find venues in colleges, high schools, adult education and churches around the world for both the faith and reason and ethical leadership curricula. It was a dream come true because it had the potential to make a significant impact on the larger culture. My Provincial, Fr. Pat Lee, S.J., was equally enthusiastic about this prospect and has missioned me to work in Irvine, California over the next two to five years and perhaps beyond.

This does not sound like a man that was unwillingly forced out.

Zagstad
04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Ever hear of PR?

Spitzer can go out with a little class and dignity or he can go out publically kicking and screaming. He is putting a good face on the situation for the sake of the institution, not to mention his own legacy.

Jesuits know a thing or two about the fine art of putting on a good image for the public.

Believe me, there has not been a secret at GU that eventually did not get out, whether it be past Presidents and their mistresses, or Athletic Directors that took a fall to protect the President. Eventually it all comes out, although you have to wait for a few funerals to get the whole story.

But those are stories for another day.

gu03alum
04-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Well, one of has his actual words and the other one has assumptions.

webspinnre
04-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Well, I, as well as many others have heard from sources inside the university that Fr. Spitzer was dismissed. So, its possible our sources are wrong, or its possible that Fr. Spitzer is putting his customary charitable spin on things. We may never know with certitude, but I've been hearing from people inside for the last year+ about this, so unless they're all wrong, that's what I've been going with.

I have no doubts that Fr. Spitzer will perform amazing ministry wherever he goes.