03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
When is his next court date?

MBZags
03-29-2007, 05:35 PM
There isn't one.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story.asp?ID=178886

SchiavoZag
03-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Finally Heytvelt is free. I am so happy. Heytvelt is going to be the go to guy next year when the team is struggling with flashy dunks and swats.

Heytvelt: favorite player at the begining of the year, favorite player now... and forever.

zags422
03-29-2007, 09:03 PM
i'm right with you on that one schiavo.

Rubbadub
03-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Agree as well. I just hope he doesnt lose fire or poise when he gets re-exposed to taunting during road games. He will be the focus of opposing fans all year long.

juliezag
03-29-2007, 10:59 PM
your post is the best one that i have seen on this message board.

zagster318
03-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Who is this Heytvelt you speak of? ;)

sittingon50
03-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Another scenario to consider is that assuming Josh is all business from the time he gets back with his teammates that they will rally around him if things get "out of hand" on the road. We might see some impressive Bulldog performances.

Zagdawg
03-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Use the ribbing of other fans to light a fire-- Adam was good at that---

VaBeachZAG
03-30-2007, 06:06 AM
A fact of life is that Josh pretty much disappeared in a number of games (too many games actually) last year. Unlike some others on this board have done, I will not speculate as to why this occurred (I honestly have no idea why it happend). In any event, Josh can be a huge force on next year's team, but greater consistency is needed on his part. I recently posted in another thred my concern about where "quality" team leadership would come from next year (the consensus was that it would come from Pendo, Pargo, and probably Brown). If Josh had not redshirted, he would be coming into his senior season next year. What I would like to see as much as anything else next year is for Josh to come into the season with great maturity and dedication to the team/game, and provide some of that all important team leadership himself!

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2007, 06:27 AM
... I would like to see as much as anything else next year is for Josh to come into the season with great maturity and dedication to the team/game...

That is the key word with Josh. He needs to come in with maturity, if nothing else.

SteeleMan
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
VaBeach nailed it.

JH will have to earn back credibility and respect from many fans through his actions on and off the court.

zzzjag
03-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Does any one know if he will be working out with the team now or over the summer? Obviuosly w/out coaches, just in pick up games etc.

ZagManFan
03-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Wasn't Josh and Theo seen in a pick up game just a week or so ago?

primal23
03-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Josh will also have to learn that he will be the focal point of the opposing fans, and be able to channel that, like AMMO, into showing them what he can do, and shove that into their faces.

BobZag
03-30-2007, 05:17 PM
True, primal. But after 3-4 games on the road the taunting should become the same 'ol same 'ol. I mean, how much more creative or loud or "vicious" can, say, SCU be than Pepp or UP or SMC? Should become old hat after a few road games, imo.

Maturity, indeed. He turns 21 in June.

Bocco
03-30-2007, 06:18 PM
That is the key word with Josh. He needs to come in with maturity, if nothing else.

I heard an interview with Few today and according to him Josh really seems to have turned over a new leaf. He also said that even though Josh has cleared the legal hurdles and the GU administrative that the toughest maybe yet to come with his coaches (or something to that effect.) Josh made a incredibly poor choice, and there are consequences that he has to deal with because of the choices he made.

Few also said that he believed that this could turn out to be a real positive in Josh's life.

Theo did not come up in the conversation but you have to believe that the same holds true for him.

lothar98zag
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I heard an interview with Few today and according to him Josh really seems to have turned over a new leaf...

You'd hope that having a child would "turn over a new leaf"...

Hopefully this time it actually sticks.

Hoquiamite
03-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Redemption is the Jesuit Way, so I'm in favor of taking Josh back. He's a gifted athlete but, to date, a very immature man. I just hope he grasps how lucky he is and doesn't succumb to selfish immaturity again. If there's a third strike, he's toast. He need look no farther than his coach to find a role model to turn his life around.

sharpzag
03-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Heytvelt is at another level than anyone else on the team. In the pickup game I saw him play in, he was burying turn around fade away 3's effortlessly. Maybe he was just on fire, but he looked like a better shooter than Raivio or Downs.

I also heard from someone who had talked to him that he is much more humble than he used to be. In the game, he showed no signs of cockiness that you might expect from him. I think he realizes that he has to be all business now. If he truly has turned the corner, for good, finally... he is going to be unstoppable next year.

Of course, it is a little bit scary to put all of our hopes in him once again when he has failed to deliver the last two years (injury, drugs..)...

Bocco
03-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I suspect that Josh is at the point now where he either turn over a new leaf (continues in the direct he seems to be going since his arrest) or he's gone. If the events of the last few months has not been a wake up call for him then nothing will.

I suspect and hope that most if not all of the Gonzaga "family" is pulling for him to succeed.

In response to the initial question the only next court date Josh should be looking forward to is on the basketball court.

IdahoKC
04-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Maturity is certainly the key, but I don't want him too humble. We need that fist pumping, holler-at-the-court-lights fire that Adam and then Josh brought to the floor.

Zag 77
04-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Let us just take this one step at a time. He has a year of drug testing and acting like a model citizen before he is out of the legal woods He is only 3 weeks into his diversion program and lots of offenders who have every logical reason to comply still manage to screw up.

Let us just slow down and not get our hopes sky-high yet.

Bocco
04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Let us just take this one step at a time. He has a year of drug testing and acting like a model citizen before he is out of the legal woods He is only 3 weeks into his diversion program and lots of offenders who have every logical reason to comply still manage to screw up.

Let us just slow down and not get our hopes sky-high yet.

I have known people who have managed to get themselves into the same position as Josh and Theo. They come thru it with flying colors due to a lot of support from family and friends. I believe that Josh and Theo will have the same type of support and that they will suceed.

RebornZag
04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Josh will be great this year, IMO. I think we have every right to feel good and to feel positive. Feeling good and positive is as much of a choice as feeling skeptical or doubtful. I chose to be positive, and to believe in the best for Josh. That's just my nature, and I'm glad I feel the way I do. I hope for the VERY BEST year for Josh, and I hope he turns his year around.

I think there was a player on Memphis' team who was suspended from the team last year for something. I think it was Hunt. This year, Hunt was one of their key players, and one of the two guys that really hurt the Zags. I am hoping Josh has that kind of year, and that kind of a stroy....I'm all for happy endings......................................

I remember a game Josh had this year where he got 20 and 20. I am hoping to see lots of that this year. It's just possible that reaching the low he did will be the beginning of a new life for him. I also will remember well the post by one of his family members (I think it was an uncle) who talked about the Heytvelt family. It was an awesome post. I've already forgiven him. And forgiveness does not mean that we keep throwing his mistake in his face. It also does't mean forgetting about it. I will always remember it, and the pain for all of Zag Nation. But, heck...I let all that go a long time ago.

I can't tell you how excited I am to see him on the court again in a Zag Uniform...I can't wait to see him dunking on guys, and rebounding with one hand. I can't wait to see him stare guys down...I hope he takes it a step further this year, and finds a passion for the game that I believes lies inside him. I hope he finds the passion and love for this game that, yes, Joakim Noah has. I hope to see him turn into a chest pounder. I think Josh can be better then Joakim Noah. I really do. Josh can be one of the best big men in the country next year, and I won't hesitate or back away from shouting out my beliefs. I AM GLAD JOSH HEYTVELT IS A ZAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!