PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs & Poling.

bigblahla
04-18-2009, 07:56 AM
I've finally accepted the end of the 08-09 season, sorry it took a while. Ahhhh! The interim...

In looking ahead I'm really excited about the recruits coming in but I also think we have yet to realize the talent in young Mr. Gibbs & Poling.

Just getting glimpses of Grant didn't really give me anything to go on but hope and faith. It seems he has all the tools and qualities to be a major contributor at GU. I view him to be cut in the ilk of a Stepp or Bouldin and I'm looking forward to what he will add to next years team.

Anyone with more insight on Grant please share I'm sure it will be appreciated by all.

Andy Poling looked darn good to me and seems to have a real nose for the ball around the rim. Seems faster than Mallon, bigger than Gourde, reminds me from the little I've seen of Jeremy Eaton, one of my favorite Zags.

C'mon Zag fans let's talk about our redshirts as both have the potential to be important pieces of our 09-10 team.

Go!! Zags!!!

MississppiZag
04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
When I watched Andy practice in Memphis, he looked like he was about 6'11'', 240 lbs. He consistently hit his 15 ft shot and had good touch on his jump hook. Ran the floor fairly well for his size, and I see him being a major contributor as the first big off the bench behind Daye and Sacre.

Grant was a good shooter, but that's about the only thing I noticed. I was busy watching the bigs dunk(Poling, Heytvelt, and Sacre).

BobZag
04-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Andy is considerably stronger and is able to physically do so much more now than when he first stepped on campus. He is a face-up big and is working on his back-to-the-basket game. We fans will like his game.

Grant is coming along. He was injured with that shoulder all season, and he now has a sprained ankle. He needs to improve his 3-point shooting--he's good but not great--but he has a game similar to Bouldin in that he's a very good passer, has great court vision and a good feel for the game.

btzag
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I think we are going to see a lot of Poling next year, either as the backup center or backup PF or even starter as PF if Daye goes pro. Hopefully that last scenario does not happen and he can work his way in at 15-20 min's a game.

My question with Gibbs is whether he can run the point or not behind Meech? I know he played some point in HS but from everything I've read it sounds like Gray or Bouldin will probably move to point when Meech is on the bench. I suppose that would open up a spot on the wing for Gibbs but it will be real interesting to see if Arop or Kong or Harris win that backup spot or if Gibbs can nail it down.

Should be a real interesting to see how this plays out over the summer and early season.

ZagNative
04-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Should be a real interesting to see how this plays out over the summer and early season.Agreed!

Nice post.

Goshzagit
04-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Color me shocked if Gibbs receives any more > than 10 minutes a game next year. We forget that Gibbs has missed more time on the court and organized basketball the past two years than even Sacre has. He practically missed his entire Senior year of HS due to injury, then he was only able to participate the first two weeks of practice before undergoing reconstructive shoulder surgery for a torn labrum. Grant has had little time to add muscle/strength, refine his game, or develop on the court. Besides watching how the offense works, Grant will essentially be like an incoming freshman as it relates to his actual bball experience.

Also, I was able to watch Grant play in high school and his game is not really comparable to Bouldin. While they both have a great bball IQ and each are excellent passers, I can assure you they play very differently on the court. For example, Bouldin posts up and uses his strength/size to drive the line with a quick first step crossover. Gibbs is as tall as Bouldin but he's at least 30 lbs lighter. The best comparison for Grant would be Jason Bohannon of Wisconsin. They both rarely penetrate to score in the paint, but seemingly always make the right decision with the ball and both are above-average shooters. I would say Grant plays more similar to Steven Gray, but even less aggresive with the ball. Gibbs has a nice perimeter game and fits in well with our complicated system, but he's not even in the same neighborhood as Bouldin or Stepp as a player. I am confident Gibbs will be a great addition to the Zags in time, but if he averages more than 10ppg even once during his 4 years as a Zag, I will be happily proved wrong.