PDA

View Full Version : Zag mentions at AAU Tourneys

BobZag
04-18-2009, 07:10 AM
By his own admission, Drew Gooden Soldiers PG Nick Johnson had an off night. From where we sat, the 6-foot-2 class of 2011 product was being a little tough on himself. When things got tight late, Johnson got into the lane and made masterful use of a little used art -- the jump stop -- and converted on floaters or dumped off to teammates for easy buckets.

Hard working Drew Gooden Soldiers big man John McArthur is already being heavily pursued by the likes of Gonzaga, SMU, St. Mary’s, and Stanford. … Desmond Simmons mentioned that he’s currently feeling Washington, Oregon State, Stanford, California and St. Mary’s. …

[I'll add more as reports come in.]

ZagNative
04-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Joe Hanstad will not be accompanying his Net Gain team to the Double Pump Spring tournament in Denver this weekend, due to a stress fracture in his foot, per Chris Monter of GoldenSports.net (scout) (http://minnesota.scout.com/2/857515.html).

P.S. Nice to see the Zags are still hard after John McArthur.

BobZag
04-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Get well soon, Joe. I'd still like to see a Zag coach visit Dickinson this weekend, just to watch him shoot free-throws if that's all he can do.

McArthur is striking me as one of those under-rated bigs that have caught the eye of the Zags staff, ala Dower.

MississppiZag
04-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Is McArthur the wide bodied big, we have been looking for? I believe Jerry Meyer said he was very impressed with McArthur's all-around game at the Boo Williams Tournament. McArthur is going to be one to follow throughout the summer, it sounds like.

Also, the comparison to Dower, as far as under the radar, is similar. Dower started out in the 140's and moved up to 116. McArthur is currently 132. I think you are right Bob, it seems like McArthur has grabbed the staff's attention like Dower did.

ZagNative
04-18-2009, 08:03 AM
McArthur is striking me as one of those under-rated bigs that have caught the eye of the Zags staff, ala Dower.I really got a good feel for McArthur doing the research for this February 18, 2009, post (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=18373).

BobZag
04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
McArthur isn't a wide-body, he's about 6'10" and 210#. That doesn't mean he can't eventually become a wide-body, though.

Meyer describes him as an old-school post player.

ZagNative
04-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Regarding Nick Johnson, I don't think I've seen the updated eval ESPN recruit tracker (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?page=evaluation&recruitId=55256) posted recently.
April, 2009: Johnson is a big time athletic combo-guard. He has excellent size and strength for his age. He can sprint the lane in transition or rebound and start the break with ease. He is an improved three point shooter that shot extremely well. He can knock down the open three off the catch or he can dribble up to the line and knock it down off the dribble. His release and follow through look good and seems to have confidence in his stroke. He is a good ball handler and passer as well. He can beat his man and shoot the mid range jumper in the lane. Johnson is also an above the rim finisher in transition with a clear path. He is also a lob catcher on the break. Johnson is more of a shooting guard but his point guard skills are developing rapidly. He does a great job at finding the open man in drive, draw and kick situations. He is also strong enough to finish through contact once he gets deep into the lane. Johnson is a terrific all around guard with a bright future.