• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mainer6
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2009

ZAG identity

During the discussions on Daye entering the NBA draft the argument was made that he is a great Zag (some agreed, some didn't). Turiaf is often praised for his Zag-like qualities. Recruits are often discussed in terms of their ability to meet these Zag expectations. While I have my own ideas of what this means, I thought it might be nice to hear what others consider to be the pilars of Zag-ness.

I will offer up this simple, and partial thought: over-achieving. Taking good talent and getting great results year after year after year. That's it. No moral superiority, no greater qualities of human-ness, just being better on game day than you are on paper.
    Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.
  • DenDiegoZag
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

Do whatever it takes to get a win.

Go Zags!
    Rolling down the street...with my mind on my Foo and my Foo on my mind...

Comment

• roxdoc
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Having a "good" character, being a team player, intelligence on and off the court, willingness to go all out for the team, a positive role model for the team, the school and the community.

Comment

• kclubfounder
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2007

A smart, hard-working, team 1st player.

Comment

Pendo

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Fearless and full of confidence although smaller. Powerful and able to knock out any giant at any time. David, in the David and Goliath story. Full of faith no matter what the odds may appear to be. BANNER carrier for the little guys of the world who are athletic> In someway there is a simplicity or maybe a nieveness about about a Zag. I like to think of it as humility.

Someone either or connected to Gonzaga University which is small Jesuit University that stands for brotherhood/sisterhood/family/ community. It's a liberal school, which tends to turn out human beings who are little "touched" or Kooky....And their are certainly a lot of Kooks here on the board, and that's what I love about it.....We're different, and our differences are appreciated.

REBORN You enter this Jesuit university one way, and you leave a completely different person. A person who has much to offer and contribute to any community they live in.
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2008

Playing with joy, passion, humility, respect for your opponent, and love of the game; taking the working-class ethic that so many of the GU community come from and applying it to the court - the work's gotta get done and the work doesn't care who does it.
              History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• mez124
                Bulldog Fan
                • Nov 2007

i think being a Zag is about (zag) family, community, being a team and learning to become better players and people

Comment

• Zag365
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                  Playing with joy, passion, humility, respect for your opponent, and love of the game; taking the working-class ethic that so many of the GU community come from and applying it to the court - the work's gotta get done and the work doesn't care who does it.
                  well said. it's a personal/character/mindset quality shared by generations in the GU community and reflected in the basketball program, which is what makes it so compelling

Comment

• Zag79
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

someone who plays hoops for the zags, studies like a zag, gets along with his team mates, coaches, peers (students), and is good with the public is what being a zag to me is. so pretty much any guy we have had on the team is a zag to me. anything else is nitpicking over your favorites and not so favorites, man crush arguments.

Comment

• MickMick
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

Start off with a young man that would choose Gonzaga over a state School. It takes a certain mentality to make that choice.

That may be my only criteria. Once a player chooses Gonzaga, he is a Zag. We Zag fans have a history of forgiveness.
                      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
                      X