PDA

View Full Version : Alex Tyus -- transferring from Florida -- looking at West Coast

GoZags
04-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Florida's starting center is leaving -- and there is well placed speculation he'll end up out west.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36385

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4077630

Goshzagit
04-17-2009, 07:06 PM
He's the real deal and all over NBA radars. I'm surprised to hear Alex is transferring as he was slowly becoming the centerpiece and go-to guy in Florida's offense.

From the looks of it, he'll most likely end up at a Pac-10 school like Arizona or UCLA. He went to high school in Missouri, yet the few schools he considered in HS were Florida, Tennessee, Miami, and Arizona. He was all over the place with his recruitment and clearly showed a preference for the "sexy" programs. Since 'Zona recruited him hard a few years ago, I'll assume they'll do the same, especially considering their current situation. I'd bet anything he ends up a Wildcat.

wazZag
04-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Man, that would be nice.

BobZag
04-18-2009, 06:52 AM
We can dream. :) And sometimes dreams do come true.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2009, 07:44 AM
the real question is has Chesty Donovan lost his touch? or, Coach K-like, is he clearing out his closet, chasing kids for better ones to come?

GoZags
04-18-2009, 07:48 AM
the real question is has Chesty Donovan lost his touch? or, Coach K-like, is he clearing out his closet, chasing kids for better ones to come?

From what I understand, Donovan's offense required Tyus to stay down low and bang -- and Alex's strong preference is to roam around the perimeter. Thus, it wasn't the best fit.

dawgfather11
04-18-2009, 08:08 AM
From what I understand, Donovan's offense required Tyus to stay down low and bang -- and Alex's strong preference is to roam around the perimeter. Thus, it wasn't the best fit.

so he's a very soft center? Perfect fit for the zags!

Sorry I had to :P

gamagin
04-18-2009, 08:09 AM

sounds familiar.

MDABE80
04-18-2009, 11:43 AM
We already had one of those. BUT.....if he's good at it, why not? We have some serious rebounders coming in. Burly ones and some sleek leapers with some meat on their bones. This is one of those years where nearly everyone thinks the Zags are decimated by seniors leaving. Josh, Micah, Jeremy....Ira too.....big losses. Guess what, Few will change things up and the upcoming edition will be better than this Swt 16 bunch. Tremendous guard talent and Austin will do his fair share too. He'll be a Junior and he'll learn from his NBA camps.

Rob , Andy, Sam, down low. It'll be another fun year..maybe not in the very beginnning but this team has the talent to gel and go far. Once again, the cupboard is full. Few, Ray, Tommy and all this staff ( including the youngsters) are to be commended. Bol and Manny.........where they fit I don't know but Few knows.

hoopster777
04-18-2009, 12:40 PM

The class that won the title twice was an incredible class of players. It could be that Donovan just isn't as good at retaining a top team as say Roy Williams or Bill Self. A few more dull years at Florida and people will forget about him as a top coach in the country. He's now passed up two better jobs, both which would increase the pressure to succeed. I dont know how great of a coach he really is, maybe he's starting to not believe in himself as much either, thats why he pulled that strange last minute move back to Florida after accepting the Orlando job.

jazzdelmar
04-18-2009, 02:40 PM
The class that won the title twice was an incredible class of players. It could be that Donovan just isn't as good at retaining a top team as say Roy Williams or Bill Self. A few more dull years at Florida and people will forget about him as a top coach in the country. He's now passed up two better jobs, both which would increase the pressure to succeed. I dont know how great of a coach he really is, maybe he's starting to not believe in himself as much either, thats why he pulled that strange last minute move back to Florida after accepting the Orlando job.

thx, at least one poster understood the thrust of my question....sigh, the offseason................

skan72
04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
After two straight National Championships you are going to have some off-years, although Florida's/Donovan's have been a little underwhelming to say the least. After Duke won back-to-back they still made the tourney second round then made the NC game the year after that.

But, his recruiting classes of this year, the last year, and the one before have been good. Nick Calathes, if he stays, will have a fantastic junior year, and you toss in the multiple four-star freshmen of this past season who have had a year to mature Florida should be good. Especially because the majority of these freshman (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&toinid=570&yr=2008) were four-stars and weren't expected to be impact freshman but are good prospects. Also, this year's recruiting class is pretty sweet, it's only a two-man one so far but Kenny Boynton is a top-20 stud and Erik Murphy is a top-100 recruit.

I wouldn't count Billy Donovan out just yet, especially because of how young he is and the recruits he is pulling in.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Tyus back to Florida.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090428/ARTICLES/904289963/-1/NEWS1001?Title=Tyus-to-return-to-UF

thebigsmoove
04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
maybe billy donovan isnt as a good a coach as everyone else thought...you gotta remember that the team he won both championships with was not considered such a great team when he initially recruited them, to me florida got lucky and Billy was the beneficiary...He should have moved to orlando and reaped the benefits of a young up and coming roster...he could have made himself look even better as a coach.