PDA

View Full Version : Is Gray having wrist problems again?

MBZags
04-17-2009, 06:31 PM
His left forearm is in a brace of sorts. Is this a new injury, or is this a "cleanup" procedure from when he hurt his wrist in 2007?

MaroonZag22
04-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I had class with him today and he said that he tore some cartilage during the UNC game. Hopefully it isn't anything major.

gamagin
04-17-2009, 07:34 PM
he has lots of time to rehab. I don't remember him being injured vs. UNC. Or even if it was noted or mentioned. I don't think it was.

Goshzagit
04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I had class with him today and he said that he tore some cartilage during the UNC game. Hopefully it isn't anything major.

Hopefully, the trainers aren't just "waiting to see if it heals on its own". If Gray tore cartilage in his wrist, he'll be fighting instability, pain, and weakness for a significant time. I can tell you from personal experience, I have broken six bones, dislocated my right shoulder five times, and tore cartilage in my ulna metacarpal area, and I'd take those five dislocations and broken bones any day of the week over my one wrist injury.

From my understanding, the wrist is rather difficult ellipsoidal joint to operate on. There are a large number of nerve-endings and the wrist contains a awkward bone-to-cartilage structure. Also, I can tell you its one of the easiest areas of your body to re-injure. Whenever I pick up a heavy object, shut a car door, or even do a push-up, my wrist bones glide and I only suffered partially torn cartilage.

I really hope its not serious, especially if its his wrist.

cjm720
04-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Same wrist? Heal well, Steven!

MDABE80
04-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Cartilage in adults is pretty much devoid of all blood flow. Hard to heal on its own. It's basically a bunch of tough lining like what you see as "gristle" on a steak.
THIS one is a very hard problem and needs serious attention. I'm sure Steven's getting it. Sometimes a plastic surgeon or one that specializes in hands does the best work. Recent damage usually is left to resolve swelling and resorption of blood before anything can be done to perfection.

I hope this isn't a big big problem. Lots of pain associated with it. If not corrected properly, the shooting mechanism is way off. This might (not sure on this) partly explain why Steven's shot mechanics looked so different and why his shooting worsened (better word) both from the field and on the FT line. Something to consider. Steven is one of the kids who's a huge difference maker if his shot is on.

Goshzagit
04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Cartilage in adults is pretty much devoid of all blood flow. Hard to heal on its own. It's basically a bunch of tough lining like what you see as "gristle" on a steak.
THIS one is a very hard problem and needs serious attention. I'm sure Steven's getting it. Sometimes a plastic surgeon or one that specializes in hands does the best work. Recent damage usually is left to resolve swelling and resorption of blood before anything can be done to perfection.

I hope this isn't a big big problem. Lots of pain associated with it. If not corrected properly, the shooting mechanism is way off. This might (not sure on this) partly explain why Steven's shot mechanics looked so different and why his shooting tanked both from the field and on the FT line. Something to consider. One of the kids who's a huge difference maker if his shot is on. HUGE problem.

The only good news, if there is any, is it appears to be his left wrist, which is his non-shooting hand. Cartilage injuries are the worst. I've torn ligaments in shoulder/knee, broken bones, dislocated joints, but my torn cartilage in my wrist has lasted the longest and caused the most issues. Plus, Ortho's have a difficult time operating/fixing this area of the body. They've been able to put me back together through rehab, casts, etc, but never could do anything about my torn wrist cartilage and my wrist is severely unstable to this day, especially when I play bball

vparcher
04-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Gloom & Doom

titopoet
04-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Hopefully the staff is up to date on the latest research, click here (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=injecting%20blood%20healing&st=cse)