View Full Version : Art Thiel on Dollar to SU: Crush Gonzaga

ZagNative
04-17-2009, 06:36 AM
From the Seattle PI (http://www.seattlepi.com/thiel/405246_thiel17.html):
One move all about dollars, another all about Dollar
Last updated April 16, 2009 11:27 p.m. PT

By ART THIEL
SPECIAL TO SEATTLEPI.COM

For a town "honored" this week by Forbes magazine as America's most miserable sports city in 2008 -- a ranking that completely undervalued the Rat City Roller Girls -- Seattle appears to be recovering nicely in 2009.
Two surprising developments Thursday added intrigue to the yippee-skippee -- UW and Washington State are working on a plan to move the Apple Cup permanently to Qwest Field, and Seattle University filled its basketball coaching vacancy by going about four miles north to hire Cameron Dollar, who had been an assistant at UW for seven years.

Each episode can be summarized with two words.

Regarding the Apple Cup: Financial desperation.

Regarding Dollar at SU: Crush Gonzaga.

Regarding the choice of Dollar, it would appear that the Lorenzo Romar coaching vine (not quite a tree yet) has Gonzaga surrounded.

Following the announcement last week that Washington State filled its coaching vacancy with another former Romar assistant, Ken Bone, Dollar's hire places three Seattle-centric coaches relatively within, shall we say, spitting distance of the state's pre-eminent college hoops power.

A figurative expression, of course. Mostly. Well, partly.

While none of the principals will express displeasure on the record with the haughty Zags empire, sideline murmurs over the years are pickled with resentment. The man who hired Dollar, SU athletic director Bill Hogan, spent much of his career in the West Coast Conference, which Gonzaga dominates like percussion over piccolo. So a tight jaw is inevitable when the crew of coach Mark Few is mentioned.

At UW, part of the pique revolves around a six-year-old episode involving Dollar, who was suspended and docked a month's pay by the NCAA for recruiting violations mostly involving Josh Heytvelt, a Clarkston High School star whom the Huskies lost to Gonzaga.Haughty Zags empire ....;)

GUZagDenver
04-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Hahahahahahahaha

ZaginLaw
04-17-2009, 07:03 AM
It's really got to irk Romar, Dollar and Bone that the Zags are described as "the state's pre-eminent college hoops power".

Silly Redhawks & Cougs, the way to compete against GU is to hire GU's assistants away like USD, not hire assistants from an envious University that has been dominated by the Zags over the past 10 years.

cjm720
04-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Hate the game not the players

bballbeachbum
04-17-2009, 07:53 AM
their contempt for us is like a warm blanket...we are doing things right, we are setting the pace, they are all reacting to our actions. It's backhanded validation...it's respect without being respectful, revelation from an enemy's wounded core.

Very cool.

Haughty? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

BobZag
04-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Hottie.

:D

kitzbuel
04-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Is it a sin to feel smug?

billyberu
04-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Is it a sin to feel smug?

It's fine in moderation.

Angelo Roncalli
04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
The implication in the article that Ken Bone is a Husky and learned his craft at the feet of Lorenzo Romar is, at best, a gross exaggeration. Though he served as a Husky assistant for 3 years, Bone was an accomplished college coach before he took a seat on UW's bench. Prior to UW Bone served 12 years as head coach at D-2 Seattle Pacific University where his team was 253-97 (.723) between 1990-2002. Bone’s SPU teams claimed six outright or shared Pacific West Conference championships and earned eight NCAA D-2 playoff bids.

MDABE80
04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
TO wit: Romar's vaunted Huskies didn't make the tournament the years after Bone left. It seems that Romar lost the brains of his own team when Bone left. How Bone ended up with Romar as an asst is a bit unclear. He didn't have the pedigree Romar had but he's a much better basketball mind. Ask the Huskies.......they know. He's a welcome addition to the Inland NW.

I doubt that SU will find its way to GU's schedule.........nor will the Huskies. Zags would crush em both. I'm glad WSU remains on the schedule.

surfmonkey89
04-17-2009, 02:23 PM
If it wasn't obvious before this article it is now out there for all to see: they hate us, and not only want to succeed but want us to fail.

Something that needs to be said, for all of the people who just can't understand why anyone would hate the Huskies...

BobZag
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
If it wasn't obvious before this article it is now out there for all to see: they hate us, and not only want to succeed but want us to fail.

Because Gonzaga wins too damn much. #&@!*$%!

dpouley
04-19-2009, 06:34 AM
It's really got to irk Romar, Dollar and Bone that the Zags are described as "the state's pre-eminent college hoops power".

Why would it irk them? Don't you think that they are fully aware that the team that has had the most sustained success, at a high level, in this region, is Gonzaga.

There is not really even an argument.

So why would they be irked by that, they came into each of their jobs with that knowledge?

MDABE80
04-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Go see the Husky Board DP. It's a HUGE "IRK" in progress. Romar is likely irked because of the press his lil move got him....in conjunction with GU continuing to make progress while he didn't see the NCAA for 2 years. If I was Romar with all the talent he's had and with the budget he has to work with...only to come up short while GU seems to roll along with less.....yep that should irk a normal brain. My opinion only though.

Robzagnut
04-20-2009, 08:01 AM
>Crush Gonzaga

He's gonna have to take a number and get in line. UW and WSU had first dibs.

UW backed out. WSU practically pushed Bennett out the door, so they took a step back. Good luck to whoever wants to step up next.

dpouley
04-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Go see the Husky Board DP. It's a HUGE "IRK" in progress.

That is the fans not the coaches.

Sure Husky fans may have misguided distaste for the Zags (based in jealousy or envy or whatever).

But Romar knew full well what GU was when he got to UW. Any "irk" he had went away when he walked away from that series. Honestly, I do not think that Romar wastes his time thinking about how much GU "irks" him. He moved on the moment he ended the series.

hoopster777
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
That is the fans not the coaches.

Sure Husky fans may have misguided distaste for the Zags (based in jealousy or envy or whatever).

But Romar knew full well what GU was when he got to UW. Any "irk" he had went away when he walked away from that series. Honestly, I do not think that Romar wastes his time thinking about how much GU "irks" him. He moved on the moment he ended the series.

When Romar arrived at UW, he didn't know full well what GU was because at that time we were just beginning to build what we've accomplished to this point. We just happened to have the right kind of players and right kind of coaching to maintain the success we've had, but I'd hardly call our status at that time elite. GU was the best program in the state when he arrived, but that was hardly a competition considering how bad WSU/UW hoops were.

UberZagFan
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
AR: Uber agrees. Uber has heard more than once that Bone's success is linked with Romar's coaching tree or whatever. That's just a bit of a stretch considering he was only there for 3 seasons--only 1/4 of his time at SPU and two years less than his time at PSU.

>WSU practically pushed Bennett out the door

That's an interesting take.

DixieZag
04-21-2009, 05:59 AM
The Portland State game was the one game that I got to see in person last year, and I sat several rows behind the PSU bench and what I saw was a "game" coach, he had a plan and he pushed his team to be more than the sum of its parts (I will grant that GU really didn't show up that night) but they withstood all of GU's runs when fear finally entered the Zags eyes and he kept his team cool and focused.

He coached an smaller, slower, less talented team to a win, which I don't think can ever have been said of Romar. WSU made a great hire and hopefully the great rivalry will continue.

As for SU, lets see them demonstrate worthiness of being in the WCC before they even THINK about "crushing" Gonzaga.

Robzagnut
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
That's an interesting take.

It's the middle of 'coach search' season... Do you:

1. Give your successful and highly sought after coach what he wants and tells him what he wants to hear?

or

2a. Tell him, because of budget constraints that you and your hard working staff that worked their tails off all year will not be rewarded with a trip to the Final Four.

2b. That chartered flights will not be in the budget next year. When coach offers to give up $100,000 of his own money to be used for chartered flights stating how important they are to the team, the AD's comment is "It's tough to give a coach more money when he offers to give some back." which means he completely missed the point.

So, obviously Coach Bennett saw the hand writing on the wall and knew he needed to go to a school where he was going to be better supported.