PDA

View Full Version : Home And Home?

Godzilla
04-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I am just wondering what you think would be the best home and home for gonzaga to start. Duke? UNC? UCLA? You tell me.

I honestly believe that it might be UNC. What do you think?

bullzag23
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I am just wondering what you think would be the best home and home for gonzaga to start. Duke? UNC? UCLA? You tell me.

To be honest with you here I don't think UNC would ever do this. They already play in one of the toughest conferences in the country and thus do not need Gonzaga on their schedule, especially if it means travelling all the way across the country every 2 years to do so. Just not going to happen. This goes the same for Duke. UCLA probably wouldn't go for it either, due to their being the in almighty Pac 10. None of these teams need us, period.

Nevtelen
04-16-2009, 12:31 PM

I think that GU has a 0% chance of landing any of those programs in a home-and-home. GU really does need to secure another good home-and-home with a good mid-major, though. I'd suggest Xavier, but who knows what'll happen with their program right now. Utah is good. Perhaps add Butler? If GU already will travel to play Illnois in the near future, why not just make a stop over and play Butler, too? It'd be a nice home and home.

UberZagFan
04-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I think that GU has a 0% chance of landing any of those programs in a home-and-home.

Even that chance might be too high.

CDC84
04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Georgia Tech is advertising for a home and home series, and they are apparently willing to play the first one on the road. The Yellow Jackets played at Pepperdine recently, so they are not adverse to the idea of travelling some and playing on the home floor of a non-BCS school.

That's the kind of team GU should pursue for a home and home. The chance to see Derrick Favors play at K2 next season is reason enough to schedule them.

Godzilla
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah Georgia tech would be awesome. Maybe we could also get a team from the SEC. Wouldn't that be tight?

GoZags
04-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I'd like to see the St. Joseph's series renewed.

I'd also like to see Xavier and/or Creighton added to the mix of Home and Homes. For awhile -- we had some of our Jesuit brethren in home and homes -- and I don't think adding another series (or two) would hurt.

Speaking of Jesuit -- Georgetown would be nice -- but it'd probably have to be a Battle in Seattle/ the Wizard's gym type of deal (which I'd take).

Oregon State would be a nice local series to start as well.

mtzaga
04-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Go for Notre Dame. The Irish played at LMU this year. Still scratching my head on that one.

CDC84
04-16-2009, 08:10 PM
It's quite normal for east coast teams to play a game on the west coast against a non-BCS school before they fly over to the Maui Invitational. North Carolina played at UC-Santa Barbara in addition to Notre Dame appearing at LMU. A couple of years ago, UConn played at Pepperdine.

hoopster777
04-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I feel the ACC/Big East have significantly less motivation to play GU, unless they are a midlevel school. Honestly, I was surprised we were able to schedule UCONN. A home/home with a Big 12 school would be nice, maybe Texas or Oklahoma? The Big 12 is a solid basketball conference, but the conference schedule isn't overly difficult. SEC schools seem to always be able to schedule, we've played Georgia in the past and Tennessee last few years. I wouldn't mind playing LSU, Kentucky, or Vanderbilt.

LongIslandZagFan
04-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Duke... no way on God's green earth would Coach K agree to it. If you aren't part of some conference challange... Duke isn't playing you unless it is in Cameron or MSG.

UNC... see Duke, but change Cameron to Dean Dome...

UCLA... Howland wouldn't have it. We beat, nay, destroyed them at Pauley many years ago and have been off their radar ever since.

These programs would just plain never play us in the Kennel... ever.

Best you can hope for is an ACC or SEC bottom feeder.

Nittany Tar Heel
04-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Duke... no way on God's green earth would Coach K agree to it. If you aren't part of some conference challange... Duke isn't playing you unless it is in Cameron or MSG.

UNC... see Duke, but change Cameron to Dean Dome...

UCLA... Howland wouldn't have it. We beat, nay, destroyed them at Pauley many years ago and have been off their radar ever since.

These programs would just plain never play us in the Kennel... ever.

Best you can hope for is an ACC or SEC bottom feeder.

In the last 5 years alone, Carolina has played home-and-homes with Kentucky(3x), Connecticut(2x) and Arizona, will play at Texas next year and had one scheduled for 2011 with Memphis. Don't lump us in with dook.

kitzbuel
04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
From a BCS viewpoint, UK, UConvict, UA and UT aren't exactly risky. Memphis might have broken the mold, but that became a 'had'.

The point is, UNC will likely never play a true away game outside of a BCS gym.

HillBillyZag
04-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Let the BCS boys do their thing. I agree with several others. Lets land a couple of home & homes on a long term basis with some A10 & MVC schools.
S,t. Joes, Xavier, Creighton, SIU, etc...will provide good competition and a measuring stick to tell us how far along things are?

CDC84
04-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Not only did North Carolina play at UC-Santa Barbara this season, they also played at Nevada. They're very different from Duke. In fact, back in 2007/08 (if I recall it correctly), the Heels didn't play a home game for nearly a month during November and December. I know they played at Rutgers and Penn that season. Roy Williams has a standard practice - which I think Gonzaga should adopt - to give each of his players a chance to play one game in their hometown. So UNC played at Penn to give Ellington a home game, etc.

I would like to see Gonzaga schedule some games against:

1) Houston - for Demetri Goodson
2) Iowa - for Grant Gibbs (Iowa City is only 36 miles from Marion, IA).
3) Colorado - for Matt Bouldin (Boulder is 47 miles from Highlands Ranch, CO)
4) Minnesota - for Sam Dower (Minneapolis is only 15 miles from Osseo, MN)

I think all of these schools would agree to play Gonzaga at K2 as well.

kitzbuel
04-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I stand corrected.